Music in Your Area of the World

Music Discussions Go Here
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Music in Your Area of the World

Post by Shiloh Adlar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:21 pm

I recently read a book that was centered around music during The Great Depression here in the US. The book was titled Bud, Not Buddy and it was about a little boy who was on the search for his father who he believed to be a big band/jazz artist.

While I have always been a fan of jazz and it's beginnings into the music scene, I also like the history of other musical forms as well such as the blues, rock and roll and folk. Music here in the US is extremely diverse and many of these musical genres have historical backgrounds defining the lives of slaves and immigrants as people from all areas of the world were put into close living quarters with each other. Over time, musical fusions, so to speak, began to develop and new styles took form creating a vast selection of musical forms to listen to and play.

What's the history of music where you come from? What about traditional music from your country that you can share?
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Alexandra Steele
No broom

Re: Music in Your Area of the World

Post by Alexandra Steele » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Wow, I got an absolute blast from the past when you mentioned Bud, Not Buddy - I remember reading it in school, and the tapes the teacher played are my earliest memories of hearing jazz. (I'm afraid I don't remember the actual book as clearly, except for some line about "Anyone ever told you you've got a peanut-shaped head?")

I haven't much familiarity with the specifics of different genres, but I do always love hearing the stories that come out when musicians are experimenting with different instruments that it turns out originated in Africa or Europe, etc, because then I end up on a Google exploration where I hear a lot of stuff that I'd never have heard of otherwise. Most recently I was listening to kalimba covers, a reworking of an African instrument, and was surprised to learn that they were adapted to make music box sounds. Now every once in a while they pop on on techno remixes or something, and it's very cool to hear these old sounds being reinvented and repurposed.
Silas Hipolito Crist
No broom

Post by Silas Hipolito Crist » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:59 pm

In my country in Europe music is also very much diversed. From traditional's country music to all the genres that are played in USA. It is not strange thing that everyone here listen to specific music; you can find the people who prefer traditional folk music which is also getting more popular in the last period; then you can find listeners to rock music (there are a lot of them). Jazz is not so popular; but the main scene is taken mostly by pop music, which usually has some origins from other genres. Classic music is also rare to find.
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Kalimba! Is that what that's called! I played on one once back in 2016 for this fun music thing I was doing somewhere, but I couldn't remember, or didn't know what it was called. It has a beautiful song. I'll have to look up some videos with music for it. Traditional style music is also great to listen to when I'm studying and stuff, so I'm always on the lookout for music with instruments that are rarely heard anymore, at least in my area of the world where pop music abounds.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Return to “Music Talk”