We Have a Winner!

Moderators: Gail Allen, Prof. Kyrie Adderholt, Arianna Stonewater, Astrid Black

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Three

We Have a Winner!

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:29 am

The winner has been decided but before we get to that, we have a few other people we would like to acknowledge!

First, we would like to acknowledge the top performances from each crew position:

Captain
Prof. Cody Lewis (16 minutes in the spot the differences)
Vanessa Tilley (31 minutes in the spot the differences)
Will Lestrange (38 minutes on the nonogram)

Commanders
Shadow Gaunt (9 minutes on the word scramble)
Alexander Brighton (37 minutes on the word scramble)
Polaris Black (71 minutes on the word scramble)

Rear Admirals
Maxim Trevelyan (12 minutes on the pipes puzzle)
Maxim Trevelyan (19 minutes on the logic maze puzzle)
Maxim Trevelyan (21 minutes on the design your flag)

Lieutenants
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis (9 minutes on the design your weapon)
Shiloh Adlar (15 minutes on the design your weapon)
Sirius Fudge (as sub, 48 minutes on the sea shanty)

We would also like to recognize the person in each crew position with the fastest average time over all five rounds:

Captains
Vanessa Tilley 614.4
Runner-up: Will Lestrange 899.2

Commanders
Polaris Black 420.4
Runner up: Sky Alton 996.4

Rear Admirals
Maxim Trevelyan 325.6
Runner up: Prof. Amy Lupin 791.8

Lieutenants
Shiloh Adlar 479
Runner up: Prof. Tarma Amelia Black 525.2

But remember: puzzles were not always the key to winning this game. What mattered? Hits and misses!

The team with the best aim was KES Rubberducky, who managed to hit 41.18% of their targets.
HMS Diagon 38.10%
BKA Victory 27.50%
The Black Pearl and The Flying Dutchman 25.00%
HMS Musketeers 15.38%

The organizers also found it amusing to watch which teams were the quickest to fire on their opponents. HMS Diagon was easily the fastest team with an average fire time of 187 minutes
The Flying Dutchman 252 minutes
HMS Musketeers 446 minutes
BKA Victory 560 minutes
KES Rubberducky 775 minutes
The Black Pearl 882 minutes

THE RESULTS

Unfortunately the SS Bludger crew came down with a case of scurvy soon after the battle began and they were unable to participate. They were left sitting there helplessly as the HMS Diagon took aim! Because of their lack of participation, they finish in SEVENTH PLACE.

While the HMS Musketeer fought hard on the puzzles, they were a target of BKA Victory from the very start. Rumor has it that Sky Alton of the Musketeer stole a parrot trained in ballet from BKA's Shiloh Adlar and this was Shiloh's chance for revenge. They finish in SIXTH PLACE with a score of 4.

Next was The Black Pearl. Their crew gave a strong performance, but unfortunately were not able to fire their shots in time in round four, possibly costing them a few positions. I believe there was rum involved....They finish in FIFTH PLACE with a score of 18!

The Flying Dutchman comes in FOURTH PLACE! They managed to mostly stay off the radar of the other teams leading them to a final score of 19. They actually tied with the second and third place teams, but the tie was broken by highest number of hits.

In third place we have KES Rubberducky! They struggled somewhat with the speed element of the puzzles, but they wisely used the shots they earned to make their way into THIRD PLACE with a total of 19 points!

Our second places finishers were easily the puzzle masters of this competition. However, the battle for the parrot left them with many hits on their own ships. BKA VICTORY comes in SECOND PLACE with a score of 19 points!

And finally...the dark (sea)horse of the competition. HMS Diagon is a crew of strangers who came together for this competition. They were slow at the start, but wisely targeted a team unlikely to fire back. They then started to really work together, improving their puzzle time immensely and coming close to BKA Victory's time. The Diagon crew was smart to start out of most of the big fights, but took advantage of the weaknesses forming from them. All of this brought their total to 22 points and put them in FIRST PLACE!

Thank you to everyone who participated! This has been so fun to watch! Points will be awarded in the coming week or so.

Also, big thank you to Astrid Black for helping organize this event and to Gail Allen and Arianna Stonewater, two of the most evil puzzle creators HOL has ever known.
Prof. Kyrie Adderholt || Head of House || RQT

Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Re: We Have a Winner!

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:38 am

Congrats to all the participants, I loved getting to watch you all work together!!

Kaitlyn Nightingale
No broom

Postby Kaitlyn Nightingale » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:43 am

Congratulations to the winners and a big THANK YOU to the organizers, you did such an amazing job with this activity! I also want to thank Will, Scarlet, and Kim for being a wonderful team!
ka1645 | Hufflepuff | 2nd Year | Spiffy

Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Postby Shadow Gaunt » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:47 am

Congratulations peeps! Awesome job HSM Diagon! This was extremely fun to do and I want to really thank the organizers (even if during Battleship I wanted to slam my head against the wall because of them). Also thanks Emma, Kenny, and Elena. You guys were wonderful to work with and an amazing team. :D
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin

Alexander Brighton
No broom

Postby Alexander Brighton » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:58 am

Good job everyone. This was an excellent activity (even with the puzzles that made my head spin haha). Thank you Sirius and Resyarrina, even though we were automatically put together, I really liked being on your team :)

Resyarrina Elora
Oakshaft 79

Postby Resyarrina Elora » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:24 am

This is so much fun! Good job everyone!
Thank you for our dependable captain Sirius Fudge, and commander Alexander Brighton. I really lucky to join this team! Wonderful!!

Ps : The puzzles drive me insane. B)

Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Postby Sirius Fudge » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:35 am

Woot! Go team! We did it. Alex and Resyarrina, you two are awesome crewmates. We were still celebrating in the ship due to Alex's birthday and then this happened. More drinks to everyone! ;)

Thank you to the organizers and to the other teams! This was fun!

Emanuel Hines
No broom

Postby Emanuel Hines » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:17 am

Confratulations to everyone! It was fun to see what have you been doing!

Gail Allen
Oakshaft 79

Postby Gail Allen » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:52 pm

Congratulations everyone! I have had so much fun watching you from task to task and sitting on the edge of my seat, seeing who would get shots this time around and where they would fire them.
So thank you to all the participants for making it exciting to organize this and thank you to my fellow organizers for being awesome to work with.
Thank you Cassie for the signature!

Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:39 pm

Thank you Kyrie, Gail, Astrid and Arianna for this amazing, though sometimes (okay, a lot of times) frustrating activity. :lol:
Thank you Dario!

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1000

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:58 pm

Thank you to the organizers for putting together a challenging activity! I had a lot of fun collaborating with the rest of The Flying Dutchman crew - Kaitlyn, Kim, and Will.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:03 pm

Congratulations, HMS Diagon: Alexander Brighton, Sirius Fudge and Resyarrina Elora. Well done!

Thanks for the opportunity to get together and play with some great people - Amy, Sky and Gus. :wub:

The HMS Musketeer knew why the rum was gone. Everyone knew that! Hence the barrage from the get-go ....

As a Musketeer, I sort of knew, after that first round of shots, that we'd be lucky to get into a couple of rounds without having everything totally sunk. It was due to Amy's awesome placement of our ships that we actually had a non-hit ship on the last round! So YAY! But yeah, we know why the rum is gone. :lol:
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Elena Galatas
Oakshaft 79

Postby Elena Galatas » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:33 pm

Congrats to the members of HMS Diagon!

Thank you to my amazing team members, Emma, Kendra, and Shadow. And thank you to the event organizers as well, it was fun!
"Release....THE QUACKEN!!"
Elena Galatas || Seventh Year || Ravenclaw || Dr. Who Enthusiast || Oncer/Captain Swan Fanatic

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:37 pm

Thank you for the activity, and congrats to everyone who participated! It was definitely a more difficult one!

By the way, do I get my parrot trained in ballet back now? :wub:
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Postby Sky Alton » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 pm

Many congratulations to winners, participants and organisers - it was a blast (quite literally)

And the parrot was simply on a sabbatical to learn the art of fencing: who am I to deny a Ravenclaw bird the chance to learn something?
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Aurelia West
Oakshaft 79

Postby Aurelia West » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:25 am

Thank you to the organizers for a wonderful activity and the chance to get to work with some of my fellow HOLers!

Congratulations to all who participated and many thanks to Arielle, Cody, and Katelin! :)

Pezzie Wolfe
Moontrimmer

Postby Pezzie Wolfe » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:58 pm

We gave it our best. Getting that sick was NOT fun. And not expected. Congrats to all! I'll take 7th any day.
Sig Tag by Pezzie.
HOL Member since August 2003

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Cleansweep Three

Postby Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:06 am

Points have been awarded! I apologize for the delay. I was hoping to submit these on the new HOL 5.0 because I hear great things about the changes it's bringing. However, after talking to Dario today, I realized that it might be a few more days until we can use it and I wanted everyone to have their points before end of the month for house award purposes.

Thanks again for participating! If you are missing points, please send me an HOL message!
Prof. Kyrie Adderholt || Head of House || RQT

Return to “Battleship”