Classics

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Gail Allen

Gail Allen
Oakshaft 79

Classics

Postby Gail Allen » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:01 am

We often hear about these books - particularly in school. And I've often wondered... what exactly do people understand by it. What is a classic to them?
Of course there is something with age to many of them, but then, people already said Harry Potter was a classic before the last book was published, so it can't be that alone and I have the strong suspicion that it is a rather subjective thing to determine what a classic is.

So,
What makes a book a classic in your opinion and do you have any examples that you definitely think deserve classic status, and are these books that you feel many people recognize as classics already?
Thank you Cassie for the signature!

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Re: Classics

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:17 am

So there have been two categories now that I see, and that are the Classics and the Modern Classics. I would put Harry Potter under Modern Classics but a book like Emma under Classics. Books that fall under Classics fit a certain time period when they were written and they have to be books that are considered timeless, much like I would consider Harry Potter to be for ages to come. People of all ages can enjoy these books and they were either mind blowing reads when they were written or later came into appreciation by literary critics who realized the importance of the literature for that time. As far as Modern Classics, they have the same criteria but it would include books that many of us saw published in our lifetimes. Maybe one day these books will be considered just Classics as well when new generations come along and new stories are being told.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Return to “Book Talk”