Abridged books?

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Ariella McManus

Siobhan Burke
No broom

Abridged books?

Postby Siobhan Burke » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:01 pm

Earlier in the year I started reading Villette by Charlotte Brontë. After many interruptions and other difficulties (without posting any spoilers here, let's just say Miss Lucy Snowe is a difficult character to become acquainted with) I was a bit disheartened by my slow progress. A colleague offered to read the book with me, but since he struggled with the print he hunted for an audio copy. He finally found one on cassette but unfortunately it was an abridged version. This shorter version contained roughly two thirds of the full text and while I doubt they've removed some chapters completely, quite a few were significantly shorter.

My question is this: If you are struggling with a book or you can find only an abridged version of a book you'd love to read, would you be satisfied that you've heard the whole story after reading it? Do you prefer the shorter version, believing that it is an condensed account of events?

So far (yes, I am giving it a try) the language is still beautifully rich, the descriptions as vivid and the events have as much impact in the shorter version. I'll have to see how I feel once I get to the unknown parts.

Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Re: Abridged books?

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:37 am

I've found that reading an abridged version of a book i find difficult to stay with helps me a lot because then i can go back to the full version and since I already know whats happening i feel like it moves the story along, and the parts that weren't in the abridged version are like little treasures that enhance the story. Its like reading a book for the first time after you've watched the movie. I think it just makes it better. Also, if it turns out the book was awful, less of my time was wasted, haha

Return to “Book Talk”