Library Books versus Buying Books

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Ariella McManus

Lavinia Rookwood
Oakshaft 79

Library Books versus Buying Books

Postby Lavinia Rookwood » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Not that there's really a competition, as I do both still. But I'm curious, does anyone have a preference? Does anyone find their behavior with each different?
i
Like, I find I'm more likely to read the books if I've got them from the library, because there's a time limit. I either read it or bring it back. Where as books I buy can sit on the shelf for a long time. Does anyone else do this?

Kathren Johnsun
No broom

Re: Library Books versus Buying Books

Postby Kathren Johnsun » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:25 pm

I don't go to the library very often. But when I do, I always try to get recommendations from the librarians on new books to read. While some have not been that great, most of them turn out to be some of my favorites. Since most of the time, at least one of the librarians has read the book (especially if it is new) before it goes on the shelf, they are able to easily recommend a favorite.

On the other hand, if a book is new or I already know that I like it, I am more likely to go and buy it especially if it is a popular book. I am not very patient when it comes to my book series and when a new book in the series has come out, I want to read it now, not wait for two months to even start it (which happens when libraries only have one or two copies).

Prof. Limine Snidget
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Limine Snidget » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:58 pm

If I like the book, I have to own it. Often when I know I'm going to enjoy the book I'll just buy it right away, otherwise I check it out at the library first to make sure I like it before I buy it!

Reggy Faraday
No broom

Postby Reggy Faraday » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:27 pm

I'm with Ashley, I have to own books I love! I surround myself with my favorite books.

As for having a preference, that's tough to say. Library books are hard for me because I like to get physical with my books; I love to scribble in the margins and mark pages and so on. I want to interact with them! And obviously you shouldn't do that with library books. On the other hand, I'm really picky about books that I want to commit to owning, and libraries give me the opportunity to try out books I might not otherwise pick up.

The only other downside to the library for me is that I can't find much in the way of super-contemporary or niche stuff there. That might just be my library system, though.

Nora Nightingale
No broom

Postby Nora Nightingale » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:08 pm

I also find it absolutely necessary to own physical copies of the books I love. I use libraries and free online book sites to read books, and if I really enjoy a book, I'll go out and buy a hard copy.

Return to “Book Talk”