Go Set A Watchman-Harper Lee

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Lilly Anderson

Lilly Anderson
No broom

Go Set A Watchman-Harper Lee

Postby Lilly Anderson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:24 am

I just finished writing a book report on Go Set a Watchman and now I'm wondering, has anyone else read it? What did you think?
I enjoyed it. I thought that it was an intresting return to Maycomb and how Scout has changed. I loved how it made me think about Atticus and Scout as characters and how racism was defined now and then. Definitely recommend reading it!
Thanks Scarlet!
*hugs*

Ingrid Mcmorrow
No broom

Re: Go Set A Watchman-Harper Lee

Postby Ingrid Mcmorrow » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:14 pm

I put in a request at the library for this book and it just came in yesterday so I haven't had a chance to read it all the way through. So far, I'm liking it! It seems like a fast read, so I'm hoping to finish it soon.

I've heard a few things about it: both good and bad, especially with Atticus. A few of my acquaintances are convinced that this is either Harper Lee's first actual novel, or she didn't write it. All speculations though!

Lilly Anderson
No broom

Postby Lilly Anderson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:10 pm

My friends have been saying that it's the original book that Harper Lee wrote and then her editor urged her to write about Scout's childhood which became To Kill a Mockingbird. So now there's the whole debate about if she was sane enough to agree to its release.
Thanks Scarlet!
*hugs*

Prof. Amy Lupin
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:37 am

I've just finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird, and loved it! I'm honestly not sure why it's taken me this long to read it. I am on the fence though about reading Go Set a Watchman, but, knowing me, I'll probably give in to the temptation to read it sooner or later.

Has anyone else read it? And has it changed your impressions the original book?

Return to “Book Talk”