Favorite Book

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Ariella McManus

Lilly Anderson
No broom

Favorite Book

Postby Lilly Anderson » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:16 am

Somehow we don't seem to have one of these threads. So, what's your favorite book ever?

Mine would have to be The Crimson Crown by Cinda Williams Chima. It is the conclusion to The Seven Realms Novels and I loved seeing the characters grow up. Rasia and Han are probably my favorite fictional characters and when you re-read the first book you realize just how much they have grown as people. I love fantasy and so the mix of magic and fighting was right up my alley.

What's your favorite book?
Thanks Scarlet!
*hugs*

Leonie Hauri
Oakshaft 79

Re: Favorite Book

Postby Leonie Hauri » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:15 am

I would say my favorite book would be A Memory of Light. This is the last book in the best series in the world, the Wheel of Time series, which no one seems to know about. The last chapter is about two hundred pages long, and it is the best chapter I have ever read. It is an epic fantasy series, with all of the good elements that make up fantasy series. Prophecies, magical creatures, mysterious powers...

Plus, the last three books were authored by my favorite author, Brandon Sanderson.
The Eagles are coming!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."

Shiloh Adlar
Silver Arrow

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:52 am

I have so many favorite books that it's difficult to pick just one. The classics are impossible to tear apart for me when it comes to Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyrie. Then there's The Odyssey and The Aeneid. But the first book that came to mind was Bridge to Terabithia. It has a lot of good memories associated with it from when I was younger.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Kaiwa Alexandra
Oakshaft 79

Postby Kaiwa Alexandra » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:31 am

It's impossible to pick 10 most fave books, leave alone one.
But I have two in mind right now:
1. Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
2. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I love all Sherlock Holmes book, but Study in Scarlet always have a special place in my heart.
The Little Prince is pure gold. I had total 4 copies of it in 23 years of my life because I lost/broke it XD

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 am

A favorite book? It's difficult enough to make a list of favorite authors, and once one has a list of favorite authors, choosing something they've written, just one book amongst all they've written? *mutters*

A book? ... One that I go to and re-read often .. The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley. I love this book. But there are many books I love ...

Currently, a favorite book is The Silvered by Tanya Huff. Another favorite book is Mastiff by Tamora Pierce. A third is Going Postal by Terry Pratchett.
*Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* image by Susan Seddon Boulet *Avatar made by Amy*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Ariella McManus
Silver Arrow

Postby Ariella McManus » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:51 am

I love to read, so it's really hard to pick a favourite book; they are all my favourites at the time I'm reading them :rolleyes:

A few that stand out to me are "Wuthering Heights", "The Outsiders",and more recently "The Alchemy of Stone".
Ravenclaw Prefect/Head Student/Student Teacher/ar1107
“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!”

Prof. Arielle Lemoyne
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Arielle Lemoyne » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:12 am

Ariella, I couldn't have said it better - they're all favorites at the time!

I need to start reading more often...I made a goal at the beginning of the year to read 50 books and I think I've read 5 >.< I'll definitely check out some of the ones you're all mentioning!

It's really hard for me to pick a favorite too... If I can do a top three of at least books I've read fairly recently, I'd go with Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood, Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver, and All Over Creation, by Ruth Ozeki. They're all sort of the same flavor of book, but they're all very good!

Maxwell Shadow
Cleansweep One

Postby Maxwell Shadow » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:29 am

How can you make us just choose one? That's so mean! Are you sure you're not a Slytherin in disguise?!

I will have to go for "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman. So well written, an excellent story and very funny too.
Slytherin forever

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:54 pm

Maxwell Shadow wrote:How can you make us just choose one? That's so mean! Are you sure you're not a Slytherin in disguise?!

I will have to go for "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman. So well written, an excellent story and very funny too.

OH! Good Omens! ARG. Yes, yes yes. I have never laughed so much through a book; I laughed until I cried and tmi was blowing my nose.
*Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* image by Susan Seddon Boulet *Avatar made by Amy*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Ariella McManus
Silver Arrow

Postby Ariella McManus » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:29 pm

I've been on a Steven King kick lately and just finished up with Full Dark, No Stars, which is a compilation of some of his short stories. I've been debating about Clive Baker, but not really sure yet..
Ravenclaw Prefect/Head Student/Student Teacher/ar1107
“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!”

Maxwell Shadow
Cleansweep One

Postby Maxwell Shadow » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:15 pm

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black wrote:OH! Good Omens! ARG. Yes, yes yes. I have never laughed so much through a book; I laughed until I cried and tmi was blowing my nose.

<3 this!
Slytherin forever

Return to “Book Talk”