Gone Series

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Megaera Selwyn
No broom

Post by Megaera Selwyn » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:13 pm

I picked up the first two books (Gone & Hunger) and read them both in one night. Without giving the plot away, it's probably what the plot of Lord of the Flies would have been if the kids had had X-Men like abilites. Although it's shelved under YA lit, it's not for the sensitive reader. Very dark and violent.

The given synopsis is:

"In the blink of an eye.

Everyone disappears.

Gone.

Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen and war is imminent.

The first in a breathtaking saga about teens battling each other and their darkest selves, GONE is a page-turning thriller that will make you look at the world in a whole new way."

My own private yardstick of good literature is "can I guess the end of the book/series before I actually get there?" If 'yes', I usually lose interest in the book. If no, I'm hooked. Well, I have many theories about the next books in Grant's new series, but as to how it'll all work out - I have absolutely no idea. Winner? I think so.

I honestly have more of an affinity for this series than I did for Harry Potter.
Last edited by Megaera Selwyn on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meg | me891
"School, nuthouse, what’s the difference when you get right down to it? Dumb rules and bad food in both places.â€￾ ~ Marco, Animorphs
Jamie Miller
No broom

Post by Jamie Miller » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:49 pm

Gone and Hunger were both good books. If they became movies I wouldn't see them. They are a bit gory. My friend got me into the series.

What is your favorite part?

Who is your favorite character?
Ravenclaws are witty, curious, smart, and quirky.
Megaera Selwyn
No broom

Post by Megaera Selwyn » Sun May 23, 2010 8:00 am

I'd LOVE it if they became movies, or even a tv series. I think that could work brilliantly, with the proper casting.

I can't definitively say that I have a favourite part - I did enjoy the shocking reveal at the end of Gone, regarding Little Pete and the FAYZ (of which I will not elaborate on, so as not to spoil any future/current readers). How about yours?

Favourite character, hmm. Sam makes a very good hero, easy to like, but I'm very interested in Caine. I don't see him as 'evil', really, and it'll be fascinating to see how the character further unfolds.

I've recently finished Lies, the third book, and I was in awe. It's certainly more...graphic than the previous two, and I wouldn't recommend it for those with weak stomachs, but I found it a more than satisfying continuation. New information was given, but nowhere near enough to piece together the overall puzzle. Looking forward to the fourth book!
Meg | me891
"School, nuthouse, what’s the difference when you get right down to it? Dumb rules and bad food in both places.â€￾ ~ Marco, Animorphs

Return to “Book Talk”