Who Is Your Favorite Author? (aside From J.k. Rowling)

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Lilly Anderson

Paul Daniels
No broom

Postby Paul Daniels » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:27 pm

so far, i would have to say Sir Walter Scott. He is, in a word, awesome. I also have the highest respect and admiration for shakespeare.

Gwen Juniper
No broom

Postby Gwen Juniper » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:06 pm

I know no one's posted here in nearly a year, but I might as well say,
other than J.K.Rowling my fav author is Tamora Pierce.
Her books are so brilliant, and she's a very nice person too,
I've met her at book signings 3 times now.

Prof. Zoki Phantom
Shooting Star

Postby Prof. Zoki Phantom » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:16 pm

My favorite author is definitely Paulo Coelho, and although I do love J.K. Rowling, if I had to pick one of them I'd go with Coelho. :P

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:02 am

My very favourite author is Eckhart Tolle, but ... it's SO difficult to say that because it's comparing moss roses and gallica roses.

I would also say that Tamora Pierce is my favourite author!

I just missed her book signing when she was on the Northwest coast last month ... darn.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Lynne Fantome
No broom

Postby Lynne Fantome » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:24 pm

Chuck Palahniuk. He's the author of Fight Club, and a few other brilliant books. Also, Stephen King and Jodi Picoult.
I want to see the light leave your eyes.

Emilia Andersen
No broom

Postby Emilia Andersen » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:55 pm

My favorite authors (except JK Rowling) are John Green, JRR Tolkien, Isabell Allende, Sophie Kinsella, Cornelia Funke, Henning Mankell...

Ceara Rowan
No broom

Postby Ceara Rowan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:30 am

I still can't get over the fact that Silver RavenWolf is a friend of yours. I have a quite a few of her books.

Anyway...I have to agree with Ilianna McMartin, James Rollins is pretty awesome. I'm new to his books but he's quickly becoming a favourite author.

My all time favourite, though, would have to be Meg Cabot. Other than the Princess Diaries series, I have read every book she has ever written and really enjoyed each one.

Alice Visnjic
No broom

Postby Alice Visnjic » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:05 am

Neil Gaiman & Chuck Palahniuk
What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized.
What we call [color=#0F8B6A]random
is just patterns we cant decipher.
What we can't understand we call nonsense.
What we can't read we call gibberish.
[/color]

BrookeAnne Ginevra
No broom

Postby BrookeAnne Ginevra » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:28 pm

Probably Cornelia Funke, Melissa de La Cruz, Helen Dunmore, Shakespeare, Sir Author Conan Doyle, Edgar Allen Poe, Sir Walter Scott, and all those other creaters of timeless master-pieces. :D

Analeia Sephora
No broom

Postby Analeia Sephora » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:14 pm

Mine has got to be Christopher Paolini, Dan Brown (Digital Fortress, anyone?), Sarah Dessen, Sophie Kinsella (hands down, all her books make me laugh and drown in false hopes), Meg Cabot, and Philippa Gregory. :D

Isabel Moon
No broom

Postby Isabel Moon » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:52 pm

I also love Sarah Dessen, Analeia. And Tamora Pierce, I see a few people have mentioned her. I haven't read nearly all her books though. Only the Circle of Magic series and its sequel series.

I also love David Eddings. He's probably my all-time favorite author. Except for his last series, I've read all his books.

Addy Cassic
No broom

Postby Addy Cassic » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:02 pm

Wow, so many authors I'll have to try and check out now :D My favourites (trying to choose one is impossible!) are Jane Austen, Tolkien and CJ Sansom. Walter Moers is also amazing - totally unlike anything else I've ever read, and that's only the English translation!

...only in falling does a bird learn to fly...

Liam Weasly
No broom

Postby Liam Weasly » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:55 pm

My fav author is christopher paolini
Last edited by Liam Weasly on Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amy Williams
No broom

Postby Amy Williams » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:23 pm

Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett (so Good Omens was just about the best book ever!)
And maybe Robert Rankin- he's really funny.

Marie Campbell
No broom

Postby Marie Campbell » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:56 am

I really like Candace Bushnell. Her adult novels are awesome! I also really like Meg Cabot. Princess Diaries is an awesome series.

Lily Diggory
No broom

Postby Lily Diggory » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:33 am

My favourite author, other than J.K. is Anthony Horowitz! I know he writes kids books, but Alex Rider is good and the Power of 5 series is GREAT! Love him!

Other than that I like JRR Tolkien, Christopher Paolini, Dan Brown and Allison Croggon.
Badger Pride! Hufflepuff to win the House Cup 2011!

Tbyrd
No broom

Postby Tbyrd » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:01 pm

JONATHAN SAFRAN FOER sure does know how to write a novel. He doesn't do series, but his gift for tackling the english language and contemporary writing is unlike anything else being written today.
| Gryffindor | tb001 |

Finn Cullen
No broom

Postby Finn Cullen » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:29 pm

George MacDonald Fraser, for his Flashman series. Beautifully written historical action/comedy novels that contain so much genuine history in such an entertaining package it's impossible not to become an expert. And Flashman is the most delightful anti-hero I've ever read.

Plus, Pratchett. Just because he's brilliant

And what's this "Apart from JK Rowling" business. I'm not a fan of hers at all. I appreciated the big idea of the setting but the woman couldn't develop a consistent world for a pension and a big clock, and her plotting of the last three books was shoddy.
Last edited by Finn Cullen on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No. Just no.

Juliya Tass
No broom

Postby Juliya Tass » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:16 pm

There are so many great authors out there. Some of mine are John Green, Maureen Johnson, Suzanne Collins, Eoin Colfer, Margret Cho (she may be a comedy, but she is also a fantastic writer!), Melissa Anelli, and Laurie Halse Anderson.

There are plenty of other authors that are amazing out there, but I have poor memory. That is the list you get. :)

Fionette Trisha Ignacia
No broom

Postby Fionette Trisha Ignacia » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:55 am

Mine is Sophie Kinsella. I love her books because the stories are just simple and fully entertaining. I've read all Shopaholic Series, Can You Keep A Secret?, The Undomestic Goddess, Remember Me?, and of course the latest one is Twenties Girl :)

Return to “Book Talk”