Who Is Your Favorite Author? (aside From J.k. Rowling)

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Ariella McManus

Prof. Hailey Potter
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Hailey Potter » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:55 pm

leaning towards Stephenie Meyer [twilight, new moon, eclipse] and Phillipia Gregory [the other boleyn girl, the boleyn inheritance, the queen's fool, the constant princess].
Gryffindor Professor|HOL 101, An Introduction to Divination, and Advanced Divination
Spice Squad Captain|Paw Print EiC|Lions' Pride

Danielle Jones
No broom

Postby Danielle Jones » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:11 am

Mine has to be Meg Cabot. Her work is so brilliant
Last edited by Danielle Jones on Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leigh Van Voreen
No broom

Postby Leigh Van Voreen » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:32 pm

V.C. Andrews and Stephen King

"Just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERSTAND!"--Homer Simpson

Bianca Capet
No broom

Postby Bianca Capet » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:33 pm

My favorite modern authors are Stephen King, Anne Rice, Poppy Z. Brite, and Chuck Palahniuk. As for major literary figures, I tend to read Oscar Wilde and Edgar Allan Poe.

Faye Laramie
Moontrimmer

Postby Faye Laramie » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:29 am

Oh, I have so many! There are so many authors' works I like and respect, I'd probably have to group them all by genre and time period in order to do them all justice. One book doesn't qualify as a "favourite author" -- while that book would be a "favourite book", a "favourite author" has to have written at least two books that I really loved.

To Sakura who began this topic, I like Caroline B. Cooney as well. My favourite book by her is "Goddess of Yesterday."

Regarding the classics, from the 18th-19th century or so, I really enjoy Jane Austen and Alexandre Dumas too, as some people mentioned above. Going into the 20th century, I also like Jean-Paul Sartre, Vladmir Nabokov, and Virginia Woolf. Actually, Virginia Woolf is kind of my homegirl. Undoubtedly she would be chastised to ever know she could be referred to as such ;-)

Onto contemporary fiction, I admire the works of Kazuo Ishiguro and Isabel Allende. If we're going to enter the realm of sci-fi and fantasy, especially YA, hoo boy. Though I like J.K. Rowling, she isn't my favourite. I've grown attached to her world, but I think there are worlds that are better built. I love Neil Gaiman and Sherwood Smith, both master world-builders, the latter probably more so. She literally has an entire universe in her head, and her stories are so good that Orson Scott Card are showering them with praise. (Don't believe me? Read his column and do a find for "Inda" or "The Fox").
Last edited by Faye Laramie on Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glumbumble pie.

castora grimsby
No broom

Postby castora grimsby » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:44 pm

My favorite writer is Tom Robbins. He is so weird. I never know what to expect when I open up one of his books.

Alexis Nyx
No broom

Postby Alexis Nyx » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:38 pm

I love Lemony Snicket, although the last book was really lame and poor compared to the other 12 books.

Zach Goldenfarb
Oakshaft 79

Postby Zach Goldenfarb » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:22 am

Agatha Christie and Louis Sachar
Gryffindor 2007-2008 for the cup!
You know you want to win.
MAKE AS MANY POINTS AS YOU CAN!

Marguerite Davenport
No broom

Postby Marguerite Davenport » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:49 am

My favorite authors are CS Lewis, JM Barrie, JK Rowling, JRR Tolken, Edgar Allan Poe, Shakespeare, oh gosh there are just too many others to name.
Proud Member of the Sneer Squad & President of the Order of the Blanket
Proud D. A. MEMBER
Fifth-Year Slytherin Pure Blood

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.

Jei Monterosso
No broom

Postby Jei Monterosso » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:09 pm

Poppy Z. Brite hands down followed closely by JRRTolken.

Masha MaIfoy
No broom
proud to be here

Postby Masha MaIfoy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:09 pm

My favourite author is Sapardi Djoko Damono.. Nobody knows? It's ok.. He is just an indonesian author. He is awesome. I love his writing style. When i read his book, i felt like 'dive into the words'. biggrin.gif haha.. i can't describe how skillful he is.
And i very interested in his book, Membunuh Orang Gila. Hmm..let me translate it.. May be something like, Killing Mad Man.
It's sooo funny. smile.gif
?*i'm sorry to use indonesian words, but i think that're needed*
Wanna know me?
1) Send me PM..
2) I'll reply..
3) We'll be friends..

Gabrielle Belmont
No broom

Postby Gabrielle Belmont » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:29 pm

Anne Rice! I love her vampire stories. The vampire Lestat is my favorite book from her, its awesome!
Proud Slytherin/Second year.

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love.
The emblem,shield, and colors of my noble ancestor, Salazar Slytherin,will suffice for everyone.

Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Rachel Selenia » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:58 pm

I'm bringing up a quite old topic now, but... Well, apart from JK Rowling, my favourite authors would have to be Tolkien, David Eddings and Tad Williams. I've finished reading all of Edding's fantasy series now - which feels soooo sad, because I love them all so much and I wish there were more of them! - and I think I will give his other few books a try. And Williams also writes amazing fantasy/sci-fi books.
Rachel Selenia || pr_rch || Hufflepuff || Professor of Norse Myths and Legends
Head of HOL Tolkien Society || Wizarding Times Staff Member || HOL Book Club

Prof. Opal
Cleansweep One

Postby Prof. Opal » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:49 am

It's good to see this thread get entries! So many wonderful authors of so many terrific books! By posting here, members make possible new discoveries and delights to other members! Thanks to all for posting (whenever you did)! Prof. Opal
Professor Opal Dragonfly

Magical Creatures Lore I, and II
Potable Potions I, II, and III
Principles of Deep Magic I
Symbolism in HP Literature

My Web Site

kenzie jones
No broom

Postby kenzie jones » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:35 pm

I don`t know.

I love too many to count.

I suppose C.S.Lewis is good and Lauren Child, they make the book sound more real.

Kenzie Jones | ke868 | Hufflepuff |

Cloey Crestwood
No broom

Postby Cloey Crestwood » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:46 pm

I love love love love love Margaret George. She writes historical fiction. She has written my two favourite books, The Autobiography of Henry VIII and the Memoirs of Cleopatra. Her books are very long but once you've read them you'll actually appreciate the length. Every page is an absolute work of art. You really feel like you're in that time, looking through the character's eyes, and feeling exactly how they are feeling.

Gabrielle Belmont
No broom

Postby Gabrielle Belmont » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:36 am

Anne Rice, H.P Lovecraft. Edgar Allan Poe and Jane Austen.

All of them have such fantastic books!
Proud Slytherin/Second year.

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love.
The emblem,shield, and colors of my noble ancestor, Salazar Slytherin,will suffice for everyone.

Kiri Galdor
No broom

Postby Kiri Galdor » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:48 am

Oohhh, where do I start?
Too many great authors to name.
Erm.... well, Tolkien, Douglas Adams, Christopher Paolini, Angie Sage, Stephen King, James Herbert, James Patterson, Agatha Christie, Jodi Picoult, Tom Sharpe, Bryce Courtenay, Dan Brown......

Ok, I can't think of any more at the mo, but I'm sure I'll edit this post as I think of/ discover more.

Kiri

Made by the fabulous Annie

Bring me fun, bring me sunshine, bring me love....

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity -- Dorothy Parker

Sophie Delacour
No broom

Postby Sophie Delacour » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:49 pm

Besides JK Rowling, I'd have to say my favorite authors are Janet Evanovich, I really like her Stephanie Plum books, they are quite entertaining, and Diana Gabaldon, I absolutely love her Outlander series.

Cami Kraft
No broom

Postby Cami Kraft » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:34 am

I LOVE C.S. Lewis. I think he's of the few authors I completely agree with. I also like J.R.R. Tolkien and Juan Rulfo.

Return to “Book Talk”