Who Is Your Favorite Author? (aside From J.k. Rowling)

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Ariella McManus

Tbyrd
No broom

Postby Tbyrd » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:53 pm

As far as children's writers go, Katherine Applegate is really versatile. She's written for practically every age group and genre in children's fiction.

My favorite is and always will be the Animorphs series, which is out of print now. That book series really solidified my love of reading. Great books, still re-read them when I'm feeling down.
| Gryffindor | tb001 |

Kai Daniels
No broom

Postby Kai Daniels » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:12 pm

Okay, my number one is going to sound REALLY childish : Anthony Horowitz. His writing is so engaging I find. I have read Alex Rider, Power of 5 and Groosham Grange, and they are all great books. Other authors I like are Philip Pullman and Dan Brown

Alexandria Marcel
No broom

Postby Alexandria Marcel » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:41 pm

Other then JKR, i love Cassandra Claire, Holly Black(i just love the Modern Faerie tales series), Charline Harris(for the Souther Vampire Series), and Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. Just to name a few. ^^
'I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses.
I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
and even put a stopper in death.'
~Severus Snape

I am a proud
RAVENCLAW

Alcina Major
No broom

Postby Alcina Major » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:02 am

DONITA K. PAUL.

Dragonkeeper Chronicles = favorite series ever (besides HP, of course).

she is an INCREDIBLE fantasy writer. her characters are so unique yet still so relatable and fun...I love it. :D

Castiel Stark
No broom

Postby Castiel Stark » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:58 am

My favourite writers are probably Philip Pullman and George Martin. Both are excellent at what they do and can make me laugh, cry and everything inbetween.

Ramona Kirkwood
No broom

Postby Ramona Kirkwood » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Naturally, JKR is my number one but after her are Cathy Cassidy (I'm a pre-teen girl, get over it :P ), Rick Riordan and Sarra Manning.

Violeta Lost
Oakshaft 79

Postby Violeta Lost » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:01 am

It has to be Fyodor Dostoyevsky. (besides Tolkien)

I became a huge fan when I read "The Gambler" about 10-12 years ago. Last year I had the chance to read his major work "Crime and Punishment". In the beginning I was like "he's way overrated", but when I finished the book (it's about 650 pages!), I was astounded. I wanted to read it again! Then I re-read "The Gambler" and now I'm reading "Notes from Underground". I love the Russian and European atmosphere he creates of the 19th century. I love the moral issues he poses. He doesn't answer them, but he gives you examples with his stories and you have to decide yourself.
-I need a new siggy!-

Never tickle a sleeping dragon!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Violeta Lost ~ vi803 ~ Sixth Year ~ Proud Hufflepuff

Enid Labs
No broom

Postby Enid Labs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:34 pm

Omg, this would be really really hard. First, (though I ABSOLUTELY love Harry Potter) I can't say Jo it's my fav. authors of them all.
I think that if it was up to me to choose my favorite author I would find myself stucked between Edgar Allan Poe, Kate Morton and a writer who was born from my own country, Julio Cortázar.

The three of them are just mind-blowing. Each time I read something from them I feel like that's the writing level I'd love to reach someday. They're way far beyond anyone's capability of writing (at least as how I see it).

I have loads of favorites when it comes to books (almost like 30, more or less), but if it's authors we're talking about I will stick to the three of them 'til the end of times <3
Enid Labs||en602||First year Student||PPC Member||HOL Book Club Member

Life can be awful if you aren't able to see it's bright side.

Ember Starsong
No broom

Postby Ember Starsong » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Oh that's really hard!!! I have a few to list for you...other than JK Rowling of course!!

Christopher Paolini - author of the Inheritance Cycle.
Erin Hunter - author of the "Warrior Cats" Series
Tolkien - author of "The Lord of the Rings" series and "The Hobbit"
Cassandra Clare - author of the "City of Bones" series... I think it's called "The Immortal Instruments"
TAMORA PIERCE!!! - author of the "Song of the Lioness" quartet!!! I LOVE HER!!!

These are just a few....I'm sure if I go upstairs and look on my Bookshelf I could list many, many, many more!!

Spencer Hogart
No broom

Postby Spencer Hogart » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:58 pm

George R. R. Martin is an amazing author in my eyes.
Through the trapped door!!
Siggy made by Matilde Rayne <3

Hailee Leonards
No broom

Postby Hailee Leonards » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:01 pm

I think my favorite author might be Ellen Hopkins. All of her books are written almost in poetry form, but they're a story. Her books just cover such a broad ranger of topics that connect with young adults as well as adults and I just think they're brilliant.

Jennifer Kusakabe
No broom

Postby Jennifer Kusakabe » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:00 am

Tamora Pierce is probably my favorite, and I've read and liked all of her books except the Trickster ones (and I don't actually remember why so I'll probably reread them one of these days..). In particular, the Circle of Magic books are my favorite series (or set of series at this point).

Diane Duane as well, because of the Young Wizard's series. It's always really tough to choose between these two though for favorite.

Some other notable ones I can think of right now are Tolkien (LOTR), Orson Scott Card (Ender's series), Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn), Jonathan Stroud (Bartimaeus), Eoin Colfer (Artemis Fowl), Garth Nix (several) and definitely a lot more that I just can't recall right now but are on my shelves right now.
Thanks to Fumei for the siggie!

Lilac Summerset
No broom

Postby Lilac Summerset » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:02 pm

Other than J.k. Rowling, my favorite author would probably Markus Zusak. He wrote I am the Messenger and The Book Thief. His books you can't stop reading till the end.
This is totally awesome!

Noor Akhter
No broom

Postby Noor Akhter » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:23 pm

Mine is either Suzanne Collins- The Hunger Games, or Rick Riordan- Percy Jackson, Kane Chronicles, and Heroes of Olympus. And of course JK Rowling.
[color=#ffff00]Image
Awesome Sig made by Fumei!
--no898--[/color]

Lisbelle Tanwick
No broom

Postby Lisbelle Tanwick » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:29 am

I'd have to say Kenneth Oppel (The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein Series, Airborn Series etc.) , Rick Riordan (Mythology series writer), and John Green (The Fault in Our Stars, Paper Towns and multiple others).

Camila Kay
No broom

Postby Camila Kay » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:12 am

I'd have to say Lemony Snicket. He wrote the Series of Unfortunate Events. I usually don't read mystery, but he is super good.

When I was little it was Roald Dahl, his stories were always so wacky, they were good.
Thank you Ari for my wonderful siggie!

Xavia Wynters
No broom

Postby Xavia Wynters » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:08 am

Hmmm... I always have a hard time narrowing down my favorite authors. I'd have to say Clive Cussler (Dirk Pitt Series) is always a favorite of mine, but recently it's been Sarah Adams Addison and Shirley Damsgaard. I've recently come across books by them and I have to say they're rather good and I'm enjoying them more than I thought I would. I normally don't get into mystery novels that much, but Damsgaard has some rather interesting ones.
Xavia Wynters, xa823, First Year, Slytherin

Eistalae Voral
No broom

Re: Who Is Your Favorite Author? (aside From J.k. Rowling)

Postby Eistalae Voral » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:56 pm

Russia Rossetti :wub:

Return to “Book Talk”