Chuck Palahniuk

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Helena Rosenblum
No broom

Post by Helena Rosenblum » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:32 am

Here's some questions to facilitate a discussion:

Have you ever read a book by Chuck Palahniuk?
Which book is your favorite? Why?
Fight Club: movie or book?
What is your favorite quote?
What do you like about Palahniuk's writing?
Did Guts make you feel nauseous?
Second year || Ravenclaw || Crochet junkie
Mara Bellamy
No broom

Post by Mara Bellamy » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:56 am

Chuck Palahniuk is my all-time favorite author.
I've read every book.
My favorites are Haunted, Rant, and Survivor. It's really hard to pick, though.
Fight Club book. Hands down.

Guts made me giggle. I think, we can all relate to it a little. That's what Chuck P. really manages to pick up on, I think.. we're all drawn to the really messed up things and we can relate to them in some way or another. Like the feminine hygiene product thing in Rant.. I don't know about you, but I've always wondered what happened to my stuff out in the garbage can. Also, he's got quite the imagination.

"The lower you fall, the higher you'll fly."
and
... "Six hundred and forty fish later, the only thing I know is everything you love will die. The first time you meet that someone special, you can count on them one day being dead and in the ground."
Vivica Underhill
No broom

Post by Vivica Underhill » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:58 pm

I've somewhat gotten bored with Palaniuk lately, which I think is partially due to everyone proclaiming how amazing he is. Although, I think Fight Club could be one of the greatest movie translations of a book ever. It's spot on. I really want to watch it again.

I'm kind of curious as to how Choke is being handled. I would think they'd have to water it down some.
Keelin Cavanagh
No broom

Post by Keelin Cavanagh » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:29 am

Well, I don't have an enormous amount to add to this, but I hope to, soon!

Have you ever read a book by Chuck Palahniuk? I'm working on Invisible Monsters
Fight Club: movie or book? I've only seen the movie, but the book has been on my To Read list for a long time.
What do you like about Palahniuk's writing? However uncomfortable you are reading whatever it is that you're reading, it's so well written that you can't just walk away from it.
Did Guts make you feel nauseous? Yes, ha, and I have a pretty strong stomach. That's kinda what interested me in Chuck, for him to be able to stimulate my physical reactions via prose. Usually I need something visual, but merciful Zeus, not with Chuck!
Bianca Capet
No broom

Post by Bianca Capet » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:53 pm

Have you ever read a book by Chuck Palahniuk? I've read quite a few.
Which book is your favorite? Why? Haunted. It was just surreal.
Fight Club: movie or book? You know, I've never actually read the book; they're always out of stock when I go to the bookstore. But it's on my list.
What is your favorite quote? "We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very ****** off." -- taken from the Fight Club movie; I'm not sure if it's verbatim from the book, and I don't feel like searching for it.
What do you like about Palahniuk's writing? I like that it's very "in your face". He's not shy, and his characters are very extreme.
Did Guts make you feel nauseous? No, I've read worse. If Palahniuk doesn't gross you out, you should try Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates. THAT will make you feel rather ill, I'm sure of it. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Zach Goldenfarb
No broom

Post by Zach Goldenfarb » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:44 am

Sorry, but no.
Gryffindor 2007-2008 for the cup!
You know you want to win.
MAKE AS MANY POINTS AS YOU CAN!

Return to “Book Talk”