Books You Want To Read...

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Ariella McManus

Eve Shay
No broom

Postby Eve Shay » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:24 pm

I'm sure everyone has been in this situation. There's this book out there or two that has been recommended to you with great enthusiasm or just something on the bestsellers list that has glimmered and caught your attention or a book spine you briefly saw in the bookstore that intrigued you and you swore you'd find it...

...but you're just so lazy. Oh, yes. Or perhaps another reason, but in any case, these desired books remain unread. Here are mine.
  • Ulysses by James Joyce
  • Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs
  • more of the Ender series
  • Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
  • Uglies Trilogy by Scott Westerfield
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • Complete Gay Science by Friedrich Nietzsche
As you can see, I have a lot! I welcome you to post your own lists, or even offer a brief review if you've read something that's on another person's list and had an opinion on it.

Go for it!
Last edited by Eve Shay on Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avatar by thevisual @ livejournal. Signature by the lovely Cassandra Lobiesk.
Eve Shay || Julia || ev504

Amanda Hensgen
No broom

Postby Amanda Hensgen » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:19 pm

Ohh Eve, really excellent idea for a topic! XDXD

I have so many books that I'm constantly thinking I'll read some day but then someday comes and goes and I still haven't read them. This is how I was for Eragon and Eldest, but I just read them this summer and I'm extremely happy I did, cause they were amazing! There's tons of books I've been reccomended to read by friends, family, etc or I've just seen in bookstores and thought I should really read that; and here are some of them.

Wicked - Gregory Magui
Uglies Trilogy - Scott Westerfield
Just Listen - Sarah Dessen
Chronicles of Narnia - C.S Lewis (I haven't really finished them yet..)
Animal Farm - George Orwell
The Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien (Had this book forever, and have read LotR but never Hobbit, I fully intend reading it somedays soon though!)
Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
Sun Kissed - Melissa de La Cruz
Artemis Fowl - Eoin Colfer
Frogs and French Kisses - Sarah Mlynowski
Daughter of the Forest - Juliet Mariller (Jenny keeps insisting I must read this! ;D)

I read so often, yet there are many, many more books I still need to read in my life. These are just among the few that I can remember. So many books so little time tongue.gif

Jessica Summers
No broom

Postby Jessica Summers » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:31 pm

ohmy.gif So many books I want to read, not enough determination to actually read them.

Well here is a list of the books (that I can remember) that I really want to read. The only reason I remember them is because they are all in my room on the bookcase...so there could be a few books that I don't have yet that I would like to read but they just aren't listed because well...I don't have them.

~Wicked by Gregory Maguire
~Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
~The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum (It's been sitting on my bookcase for such a long time...and no, it's not my fault most of these books are also movies/musicals.)
~Fake ID by Walter Sorrells (I got half way through it and stopped because our teachers started assigning us a million different books to read.)
~Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R. Tolkien (Yes, you can hurt me if you would like. I still haven't read LotR.)
~Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
~Inheritance Trilogy by Christopher Paolini
~Edit: The Clique series (Hazel's post reminded me...I read the second book for some strange reason and as terrible as many people seem to think the books are, I thought it was really good.)

Yes, I should have read all of these books a long time ago. I mean, I've had them forever. I'm just, as Eve mentioned, way too lazy to read them.
Last edited by Jessica Summers on Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jess | Fifth Year | Gryff <3

Hazel Kaprano
Oakshaft 79

Postby Hazel Kaprano » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:50 am

Haha, I've felt this way before. But I don't know if it's lazyness or not. unsure.gif Oh well. Anyway...

I've been interested in many books, but never had the time to read. I used to be that way with Eragon. I had never touched it even though I heard many good comments about it. Now, I just can't put the book down.

Books I haven't read yet, but I want to read are: Eldest (well, it's because I'm still reading Eragon, but under some RL cirumstances, I really don't know if I'll be able to find the book in the library or buy it in a bookstore), Memoirs of A Geisha, The DaVinci Code, Lord of the Rings series (never watched the movie, and I never read the book, but I'm interested. *shields from flying tomatoes trying to beat her*), Clique series (I'm a victim. NO! I was curious and so I read the first book. It's a somewhat interesting story if you enjoy teen novels, but I haven't had the chance to buy/borrow the next book), Treasure Island (Actually, I read a very small excerpt of this book from the book itself, but then another book caught my eye and I put it back down on its proper shelf) and there's a lot more. *stares at the list* Only six books, but I bet you there's still more I haven't read yet and I really want to read. I'm just probably too lazy to think of that books, heh.
Hazel Kaprano | Ravenclaw

Prof. Hermione Pena
No broom

Postby Prof. Hermione Pena » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:36 am

These are all books I have, but still haven't gotten around to reading them:

Vanishing Acts - Jodi Picoult
Emma - Jane Austin (started it, but got busy)
Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis (read maybe half of the first one, then got busy)
Some book by Caroline B Cooney. I've read other stuff by her, and really liked them. I started the book, but for some reason never finished, I'm not even sure where the book is now.

There was also The Wedding, by Nicholas Sparks. My sister said it was really good, so I thought I'd read it. I kept it next to my bed for a year, before I decided to give up. I read part of it, but just couldn't get very interested. I ended up just being too lazy to try to give it anymore of my time. I may give it another try sometime later on, but there are other books I'd rather read first.
Magic is the sun that makes a rainbow out of rain
Magic keeps the dream alive to try and try again
Magic is the love that stays when good friends have to leave
I do believe in magic, I believe

Prof. Iruel Riddle
Oakshaft 79

Postby Prof. Iruel Riddle » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:49 pm

There are a LOT of books that I want to read, but I don't have the time to. :( .
I don't remember the titles, either. Just what the spines look like.
All I know is there's at least 3 or 4 of them.
The only one I can actually remember is Eragon. :D . I really want to read it, but haven't had the chance. :(

EDITED 9/7/11

I'd also really like to read
Artemis Fowl (series) Eoin Colfer
The Wish List, Eoin Colfer
Reserved for the Cat, by Mercedes Lackey
Les Miserables and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, by Victor Hugo
Slayers books 4-8, Hajime Kanzaka
And those are just some of them. ^^;

EDITED 8/15/12
I've read Slayers book 4, and started The Hunchback of Notre Dame, but haven't read any of the others.
I have more books to add to this list, unfortunately. ^^;
I want to read the last two books in The Hunger Games trilogy. I read the first one recently, but haven't had time to read the others. And I really want to--book one left off at a terrible point. :( .
I'd also love to read Inkheart. But have the same problem. :( .
Last edited by Prof. Iruel Riddle on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Iruel Riddle|pr_rid|Slytherin

"You know your place in the sky
You hold your course and your aim
And, each in your season returns and returns, and is always the same.."
-Javert, Stars, Les Miserables

Lucia Granger
No broom

Postby Lucia Granger » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:47 pm

Sadly, all the books that I'm to lazy to read(and yet I know I should read them) are all books I started reading. So then the new books I get from the library have to sit on my bookshelf.

Books I've started and haven't finished.

Abhorsen by Garth Nix
Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien
The Realms of the Gods by Tamora Pierce
The Farseekers by Isobelle Carmody

Then there's about some odd number of books I'm actually reading and books I haven't started yet.
Last edited by Lucia Granger on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is music, play it louder

don't close your eyes, this is your life

Hari and Fiona Granger's little sis, Lucia.

Prof. Opal Curare
Oakshaft 79

Postby Prof. Opal Curare » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:05 am

There are so many wonderful books out there... I wish I could make more time to read all of them!

*State of Fear. I want to finish it... started it like 3 times now.
*Complete series by Anne Rice. I love the ones I have read.
*Pride and Prejudice
*Uncle Tom's Cabin
*Kite Runner
*Fight Club

...And lots more...

"A single sunbeam is enough to chase away many shadows."
"Always."

Greta Carmichael
No broom

Postby Greta Carmichael » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:56 am

Well, I know there are a ton of books that I want to read eventually... One that comes to mind is Walden. I've started to read it...three times, maybe? But I always end up stopping to read something else instead. I don't know why because it really should be my kind of thing. Oh well, I'll read it eventually.

Jesse LeFay
Oakshaft 79
Location: Slytherin, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

Postby Jesse LeFay » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:46 pm

Hah I've got some definitely. You'll think I'm crazy not to have read these yet but....
1. The NoteBook
2. Eragon
3. Sleepy Hollow

Can't remember anymore at this time of night. *yawn*
Memento Mori
unus putesco slytherins regnum munduso
*Love is nothing but an Illusion*
~*SLYTHERIN PRIDE PRIDE PRIDE!!!*~
~*Credits to Camille Ritter for the lovely siggy above*~

Danica Sayre
No broom

Postby Danica Sayre » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:46 pm

I really want to read Les Miserables because its a classic and i've heard that its really good. But then i got it and i realized that it was like 1200 pages. So i haven't exactly had time to read it yet, but i'm hoping to sometime soon.

Cassey Duareiiy
No broom

Postby Cassey Duareiiy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:16 am

Lord of The Rings --hahaha...sleep.gif, read just a half for the first book
Chronicles of Narnia
I have them but still busy, and lazy, to read all of them.
3LoTR + 7CoN, I need my holiday to read them. Usually I can't stop to read an interesting book.Started to read HP5 at 7pm (I'll never try start to read a many-pages-book at night again) make me read it until 7am.

Airemay
No broom

Postby Airemay » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:20 am

Oh man... Great topic, but it reminds me of all the books/comics I want to read!!!

War and Peace
The Return of the King (I still have the last 60 pages or so to read)
The Sandman
American Gods
Y: The Last Man
The 3rd Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants book
The People's History of the United States
Emma

There's more... ahhhh procrastination is a horrible thing!

Lilly Weasley
No broom

Postby Lilly Weasley » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:15 pm

Every time I enter my library ... I tell my kids...so many books and so little time.

I would like to read:

Eragon and then the Eldest if I like Eragon
Magic and the second one
Inkheart..reading now
Charlie and the Chocolate factory
Charlie and the glass elevator
and any other book that looks interesting....

I also know my list is mostly childrens books but I've learned now after reading HP and CoNarnia that they really aren't just for kids.

Ginny pygmypuff
No broom

Postby Ginny pygmypuff » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:11 pm

Isabella Wickham
No broom

Postby Isabella Wickham » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:28 pm

I've lost track of all the books I promised myself I'd read, but here's a few.
  • Memoirs of a Geisha, which I've forgotten to buy/lend every time I've entered a library or bookshop (or amazon) in the last three months.
  • Sense and Sensibility and I Capture The Castle, which I've bought and haven't got around to reading yet. Shame on me.
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Picture of Dorian Grey, which I finally got around to picking up with my last bit of spare money.
  • The Silmarillion, which I got half way through on my first try before loosing the book to the hands of various demonic beings (aka five-year-old cousins) and giving up.

The worst thing is, I'm putting off reading those books in favour of rereading old books for the 20,000,000th time.
Last edited by Isabella Wickham on Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lenore Spiaggi
No broom

Postby Lenore Spiaggi » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:50 pm

WAY too many. I can tell you what I have piled on my bedside table awaiting its turn, though:

The Hobbit *ducks* Hey, I'll read it next, for the musicology class, so there!
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Greatest Knight
Labyrinth
The Historian
The Eight
"They say you are a witch." "They lie; I am a cunning woman."

Gypsy Willows
No broom

Postby Gypsy Willows » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:49 am

oh i havent read anything since july, actually, when my baby was born. so honestly, i didn't absorb all the datails of Deathly Hallows (i know, i'm horrible, but try reading a big book when a new baby is scheduled to scream at you every 2 hours, and a toddler is trying to rip out the pages every time he sees the book).

so i don't say i haven't been reading out of laziness so much as tiredness. but pretty much, getting the time to read any book would be nice.
I am a Proud Teen Mommy...

To Joseph (January 18, 2006) and Andrew (July 12, 2007)

Gabrielle Belmont
No broom

Postby Gabrielle Belmont » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:27 pm

Faust By Goethe

Alice in Wonderland (I love the movie! I want to read the book!)

Anything by Stephen Hawking (His books are so expensive here!)

I dont have like a long list, because anytime I want a book I go and spend all my money to buy it...I cant help it! Im obsessed with books!
Proud Slytherin/Second year.

Do not pity the dead. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love.
The emblem,shield, and colors of my noble ancestor, Salazar Slytherin,will suffice for everyone.

castora grimsby
No broom

Postby castora grimsby » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:26 pm

Well if I go into a bookstore there are millions. These are a few that I hope to get to this year. Maybe I'll make it my New Year's resolution. tongue.gif

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

The Taste of Conquest by Michael Krondl

Red River by Lalita Tademy

Second Chances: More Tales of Found Dogs by Elise Lufkin

Dog Days: Dispatches from Bedlam Farm by Jon Katz

A Good Dog: The Story of Orson, Who Changed My Life by Jon Katz

Return to “Book Talk”