His Dark Materials Trilogy

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Lavendie Bregell
No broom

Post by Lavendie Bregell » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:05 pm

I didn't find a topic for this so I started one.

Has anyone here read His Dark Materials?I heard about this trilogy in February 2005 and since then I adore it! Unfortunately I haven't read The Amber Spyglass because it hasn't an estonian version yet, but I'll try to get the english version somewhere.
There are many things what I love in His Dark Materials, especially fantastic things like daemons, Alethiometer and so on.

So-talk about HDM! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Signature from the wonderful ID card shop!
Lourdes Rowan
No broom

Post by Lourdes Rowan » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:35 pm

Oh, my gosh, I absolutely love this trilogy. After Harry Potter, it's my favorite series. I started to read the first book in 6th grade or so, but I couldn't get into it then. At the beginning of this last year (11th grade), I tried reading it again. I was hooked. Seriously, this is possibly one of the best series I've ever read. My favorite is probably The Amber Spyglass. I absolutely cried at the end of this book. Seriously. It was 3 in the morning on a school night, I desperately wanted to finish the book, and I just remember crying a lot. But yeah, excellent series. I can't sing enough praises about it. We have to analyze a British author and choose three of their books this year for my senior English class. As I wasn't allowed to choose J.K. Rowling, I chose Philip Pullman. Excellent writer, excellent series.
"You criticize and detest in others the faults you see in yourself or that you fear others see in you."
-Zachary Podolsky, Harvard Crimson columnist
Regina Silverthread
No broom

Post by Regina Silverthread » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:39 pm

His Dark Materials is an amazing trilogy! I read it a couple of years ago and it still remains one of my favourite books.

Hasn't it come out in Estonian yet? That's a little surprising as it's rather an old book. Hope you find the English version. You'll love the third part! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Be sure to check Lyra's Oxford too. It's like a sequel of the actual trilogy which talks about Lyra's world. I loved it!
Prof. Talisman Zosimus
No broom

Post by Prof. Talisman Zosimus » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:25 pm

I tried to read these books and honestly they bored me to death. I tried to read the first one about 3 times and I could never make it past about 100 pages. I ended up giving the books away to someone else.
THANKS FOR MY SIGGY Hatshepsut! (But you are still a dork *G*)
Photons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!
Lourdes Rowan
No broom

Post by Lourdes Rowan » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:37 pm

Prof. Talisman Zosimus wrote:I tried to read these books and honestly they bored me to death.  I tried to read the first one about 3 times and I could never make it past about 100 pages.  I ended up giving the books away to someone else.
That's what happened to me the first time I tried reading the 1st book. The first few pages bored me, and I couldn't get past them. Then I heard people raving about the trilogy, so I tried to read it again. Then I became addicted, and couldn't put it down.

I know what you mean, though. That's my current dilemma with Lord of the Rings. The movies were great, but the books bore me to tears.
"You criticize and detest in others the faults you see in yourself or that you fear others see in you."
-Zachary Podolsky, Harvard Crimson columnist
Prof. Hermione Pena
No broom

Post by Prof. Hermione Pena » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:40 am

I love His Dark Materials! My ninth grade English teacher suggested them to me, as she knew I was a HP fanatic, and she'd read fans of Rowling would also like HDM. I'm really glad she suggested them to me, they're great! I think I may have cried at the end of the first one, and the ending in the third one was really sad as well.
Magic is the sun that makes a rainbow out of rain
Magic keeps the dream alive to try and try again
Magic is the love that stays when good friends have to leave
I do believe in magic, I believe
Lavendie Bregell
No broom

Post by Lavendie Bregell » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:18 pm

I'm really hoping that I can find the english version of Amber Spyglass, I read the summary of third book and it seemed very interesting. Somebody told me that it can be bought from one bookstore in Estonia, I'll surely go there tomorrow!

Airemay
No broom

Post by Airemay » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:39 am

I am a huge fan of this triology. Lyra is such a wonderful character. Her daemon is great too. I need to read the books again because I know I missed a lot of the more subtle things about the series, like with dust. I am still confused about what dust means lol. I have a tendency to read only for plot, then go back and try to pick out all the deep/meaningful things. I think Amber Spyglass is my favorite. I loved all the twists. It made me cry a few times, though I won't say when because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Sonne Lindemann
No broom

Post by Sonne Lindemann » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:37 am

I liked this trilogy mostly, except for the part where the main problem got solved. I found the solution to the problem a little lame, considering the books had made a big deal of it. But the rest of the book was great.
Nina Cecka
No broom

Post by Nina Cecka » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:25 pm

HDM is one of my top favorite book series. Lavendie did you get the English version of The Amber Spyglass yet? Cause I'm telling ya its my favorite book of the whole series!!

QUOTE That's what happened to me the first time I tried reading the 1st book. The first few pages bored me, and I couldn't get past them. Then I heard people raving about the trilogy, so I tried to read it again. Then I became addicted, and couldn't put it down.

I know what you mean, though. That's my current dilemma with Lord of the Rings. The movies were great, but the books bore me to tears.[/quote]

Try getting past the bordom Lourdes. Thats how I felt when I started to read LOTR but then I tried reading it again a year or two later and fell in love with the books.

Before you critize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you critize them you are a mile away and you have their shoes. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Wand: 15 inches from a maple tree, with a dragon claw core

Pets: One cat named Starlene.
Steph Rowe
No broom

Post by Steph Rowe » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:09 am

This series is one of my all time favourites - it's beautifully written with all these great characters that just pull you in.
Regina Silverthread wrote:Be sure to check Lyra's Oxford too. It's like a sequel of the actual trilogy which talks about Lyra's world. I loved it!
Oh, okay. I've seen this book in our school library, but I wasn't sure if it was set before or after the series. I had a quick flip through, and thought it was probably set before and wasn't really keen, but if it's a sequel, then I'll definitely check it out!
Prof. Hermione Pena
No broom

Post by Prof. Hermione Pena » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:22 am

Steph Rowe wrote:
Regina Silverthread wrote: Be sure to check Lyra's Oxford too. It's like a sequel of the actual trilogy which talks about Lyra's world. I loved it!
Oh, okay. I've seen this book in our school library, but I wasn't sure if it was set before or after the series. I had a quick flip through, and thought it was probably set before and wasn't really keen, but if it's a sequel, then I'll definitely check it out!
I was actually disapointed with Lyra's Oxford. It was nice, but extremely short. I read that, besides being a "companion piece" to the trilogy, it's supposed to be a bridge to a new book called Book of Dust, which Pullman's still writing. Book of Dust will have short stories about many of the secondary characters.
Magic is the sun that makes a rainbow out of rain
Magic keeps the dream alive to try and try again
Magic is the love that stays when good friends have to leave
I do believe in magic, I believe
Lavendie Bregell
No broom

Post by Lavendie Bregell » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:34 pm

I finally got The Amber Spyglass in Estonian, recently published! It's called "Vaigust kiiker". The book seems so exciting and pretty thick too...
Well, I'm SO happy! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Aelita-chan
No broom

Post by Aelita-chan » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:18 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE His Dark Materials series. Definitely my favourite series after the Harry Potter books, of course. I read all of them a couple of years ago, and since then, I've loved them to death. Lyra's Oxford was short and sweet, but definitely not one of my favourite's... even though I find Lyra's character to be quite interesting.

His Dark Materials movies are also being released soon, so look out for more information on that /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

<3

Aelita-chan | ne404 | Gryffindor |
[color= hotpink]Lady Marauder[/color] | Fourth Year |
Ickle Itty Bitty Kawaii Kitty Boo McGee |

PETER AND AVI BELONG TO ME! <3
Rachel Baudelaire
No broom

Post by Rachel Baudelaire » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:25 pm

Goodness gracious. I can't believe I haven't read this series. It sounds amazing! (Even sadder still, I've never *heard* of it, lol. SOmeone spank me, please.)

I shall keep my eyes peeled for it! Strange how I haven't seen it around. Rae haunts teh bookshops! How could I not have seen it?!? *tears hair out* XD
Neia Black

Post by Neia Black » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:22 pm

Does anyone know the name in spanish? Because I haven't heard of it and now with all of you talking I wan to read it!!!
Danica Sayre
No broom

Post by Danica Sayre » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:19 pm

I really liked the books. My favorite was probably the Amber Spyglass. The ending was so sad though. It just didn't seem fair, I couldn't stop crying when I read it. I was pretty confused though some of the time about the whole dust thing. It was so complicated that it made it kind of difficult to understand. Phillip Pullman is one of my favorite authors though.
Mene Moonplanet
No broom

Post by Mene Moonplanet » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:47 pm

Neia Black wrote:QUOTE (Neia Black @ Dec 3 2005, 11:22 PM) Does anyone know the name in spanish? Because I haven't heard of it and now with all of you talking I wan to read it!!!
book 1: Luces del Norte
book 2: La Daga
book 3: El Catalejo Lacado

HDM is one of my favourite book series (^^). They're books I can reread all the time... I've read them in Dutch and English, and now I am reading them in Japanese [interesting to see how they translated things].
The movie will come out at the end of 2007, I heard. I hope they do a good job on the daemons.
Wand: mountain ash berry, unicorn hair core, 33 cm / 13 inch
6th year Ravenclaw
Sylvia Laywn
No broom

Post by Sylvia Laywn » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:23 am

I absolutely adore these books!
Sadly, nobody I know seems to have even heard of them *sigh*

I'm still deciding whether or not I should buy Lyra's Oxford, because it's too expensive for such a short book...

I can't wait until the Book of Dust comes out, does anyone know anything about that?

Ravenclaw.
First year.
Mene Moonplanet
No broom

Post by Mene Moonplanet » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:45 am

Sylvia Laywn wrote:QUOTE (Sylvia Laywn @ Aug 27 2006, 01:23 AM) I absolutely adore these books!
Sadly, nobody I know seems to have even heard of them *sigh*

I'm still deciding whether or not I should buy Lyra's Oxford, because it's too expensive for such a short book...

I can't wait until the Book of Dust comes out, does anyone know anything about that?
I bought Lyra's Oxford when I was in America, because I can't get it where I live. I read it a few times, because it is indeed short... Enjoyable, though /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Maybe you can ask it for your birthday.
I heard the Book of Dust would be published in 2007. Maybe it will come out when the movie comes out. That would be the end of 2007, I think...
Wand: mountain ash berry, unicorn hair core, 33 cm / 13 inch
6th year Ravenclaw

Return to “Book Talk”