Terry Pratchett's Discworld

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Elganorus Oakbark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Elganorus Oakbark » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:57 pm

Hi Fellow Students!

I've just finished to add my reply to the "book series" topic, and found out, I am the only one posted there who mentioned Discworld (or I must see the doctor with my eyes /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> )
So let see how many of you likes it.
My favourite characters are the three witches, with bullying everybody around and Rincewind of course. And Death.
Ankh-Morpork, the city of thousend smells! Wish I could visit it!

And I Love the Luggage!
Last edited by Elganorus Oakbark on Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the Rugged Man, and the Ruler of all Chocolate Frogs!
Everybody wants to be Us!
Lourdes Rowan
No broom

Post by Lourdes Rowan » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:17 pm

I've heard of it, but never read it. I don't know too much about the series, to be honest - could you elaborate? It seems it would be an interesting read, I've heard nothing but praises sung about it.
"You criticize and detest in others the faults you see in yourself or that you fear others see in you."
-Zachary Podolsky, Harvard Crimson columnist
Elganorus Oakbark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Elganorus Oakbark » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:15 pm

The stories, ah, where can I begin?
Its about a world, which is carried by a giant turtle, called Great A'Tuin. On the shield of the turtle stands four elephants, and on the back of the elephants rotates Discworld. If you see a ship disappearing on the horizon, it happened not because the world is a globe, but it actually has fallen down.
If you like absurd humor, absurd stories, satyres, sarcasm, the books of Douglas Adams, you will like this one.
Its a fantasy world, but... sorry I don't know the words. It's the opposite of everythig ordinary. A wizard who cannot cast spells for example. (Some says, one of his ancestors was a rodent, because he always runs away from danger. Towards something more deadly, of course.)
You should give it a try!
Sophronia Bradenton
No broom

Post by Sophronia Bradenton » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:17 pm

I love Discworld! I haven't read the entire series but what I've read thus far is just hilarious.

Rincewind is my favorite, he's just so cool. And the Luggage...how can you not love the Luggage?

I love what he does with Death, Death and his existential thoughts. My favorite was in "Mort" when he went to a bar and got really drunk and was lamenting to the bartender about how everybody hates him and he has no friends /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Gotta love Discworld.
*Overlord of Oboes and Mistress of the Majestic*

yum yum eat 'em up
Lourdes Rowan
No broom

Post by Lourdes Rowan » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:30 pm

That sounds like it'd be really funny. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> I think I'll have to give it a try! How many books are in the series?
"You criticize and detest in others the faults you see in yourself or that you fear others see in you."
-Zachary Podolsky, Harvard Crimson columnist
Elganorus Oakbark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Elganorus Oakbark » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:53 pm

Don"t know the exact number, about 30. All of the are unique, nut the series have mini-series, which means the main characters are the same. For example: Death, Rincewind, the three witch, night watch, Unseen University.

Enjoy!
Airemay
No broom

Post by Airemay » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:40 am

I own the first two books but wasn't able to get into them. I must try again... they look like short reads and Terry Pratchett is hilarious. I've read about half of Good Omens (which he did in collaboration with Neil Gaiman) and ohemgee SO FUNNY. But back to Discworld. It looks like a very interesting and amusing universe lol.
Sonne Lindemann
No broom

Post by Sonne Lindemann » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:18 am

I read 'Monstrous Regimen' and it was a great book- a satire.
Christine McTague
No broom

Post by Christine McTague » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:21 am

I tried getting the first book of the series earlier today and I couldn't find it. Whats the title of it? I heard that its very good.
Christine McTague, First Year, Slytherin.
Wand: Rosewood and ebony handle, 12", Gryphon feather.
Familiar: Keethan the eagle owl.
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.
Elganorus Oakbark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Elganorus Oakbark » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:14 am

Color of Magic the first, and the second is The Light Fantastic, they are the two parts of one story.
Lavendie Bregell
No broom

Post by Lavendie Bregell » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:55 pm

I've read only one book from Terry Pratchett, named "Amazing Maurice and his educated rodents", I liked it very much. The other books I've heard about seem very interesting and funny, I'll try to get them from the library.

Signature from the wonderful ID card shop!
Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Rachel Selenia » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:42 pm

I haven't voted, simply because - I don't know if I like it or not!
I read "Colour of Magic". At first I didn't like it at all, but then after a while I started liking it, and couldn't stop reading until I had finished it.
But as I haven't yet started to read any of the other books in the Discworld series, and it's been over a year, that must mean I didn't like it enough. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />
Rachel Selenia || pr_rch || Hufflepuff || Professor of Norse Myths and Legends
Head of HOL Tolkien Society || Wizarding Times Staff Member || HOL Book Club
Fiona Bigglestone
No broom

Post by Fiona Bigglestone » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:31 pm

One of the neat things about the Discworld series is you don't really have to read them in order. It helps, but it isn't necessary. For example, you could skip the first five books or so and not miss them. I'm not keen on Rincewind, but I love the witches, DEATH and Sam Vimes. Although there is a timeline (sorta) in the series, if you don't read the first several that star Rincewind, when you run into the witches, it doesn't matter. Death (who speaks in ALL CAPITALS) is a great character. He truly doesn't get it and his attempts at understanding the living are wonderful insights into human nature. I've read about half of the series and have enjoyed most of it (except for Rincewind, although I love the luggage).
Andrew Mooney

Post by Andrew Mooney » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:16 pm

i thought it was weird and funny at the same time
Jenn Ulv
No broom

Post by Jenn Ulv » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:50 pm

I've always been intrigued by Discworld but I've never actually got around to reading any. They do sound like interesting books though from what people have written here, so I may have to add them to my ever increasing list of books to read. Judging by my list at the moment I should get to them around the time I retire :-\
Christine McTague
No broom

Post by Christine McTague » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:39 am

Just to update, I finally bought the books recently. They are so funny! They remind me of Douglas Adams and his Hitchhikers Guide series.
Christine McTague, First Year, Slytherin.
Wand: Rosewood and ebony handle, 12", Gryphon feather.
Familiar: Keethan the eagle owl.
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.
Emilor MacKinnon
No broom

Post by Emilor MacKinnon » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:18 am

Hi!
I get Terry Pratchett books for Christmas. Absolutely love him and I have everything he's written (except for what my Mom and Aunt have lost on me!). I even have some of his graphic novels, because I really like Paul Kidby's art work. I think my favorite character is Samuel Vimes, although Granny weatherwax is a contender. She reminds me of my Grandmother, it's kinda scary /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />
Ta, Emilor

I forgot to mention Lord Vetinari. Very, very deep.... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
Last edited by Emilor MacKinnon on Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie Buckland
No broom

Post by Jamie Buckland » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:33 am

i love /wub.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" /> terry pratchetts books!!! my favorite characters are Sam Vimes, Lord Vetinari, and Death. i have alot of his books, all the latest ones at least. i love how they make you laugh at our own world. i also think its great how terry pratchett has managed to write so many, you dont have to worry about coming to the end of the serise because by the time you have read the lot there is another one out, or you have forgotten most of the first ones.
Lenore Spiaggi
No broom

Post by Lenore Spiaggi » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:10 pm

Terry Pratchett rocks. I got Soul Music when it first came out and I remember it took me years to figure out all the inside jokes in it. No matter how fast he churns 'em out, I'm always up for more.
"They say you are a witch." "They lie; I am a cunning woman."
Rachel Baudelaire
No broom

Post by Rachel Baudelaire » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:38 pm

Nope. Will keep that book in mind the next time I hit the bookstore. But I'm currently reading Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett's Good Omens. It's hilariously fantastic. Fans and non-fans of both authors should go read it like now *nods*

Return to “Book Talk”