Lord Of The Flies/george Orwell?

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Finelda Marcus
No broom

Post by Finelda Marcus » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:43 pm

I had to read Lord of the Flies for school too. I don't really remember it that well. I remember we watched the movie in class which was a nice break.
I read 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell. Animal Farm is a much easier read but both were interesting social/political statements.
People always refer to Orwell's books so its good to have read them.
Allanna Branwen Culwich
No broom

Post by Allanna Branwen Culwich » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:17 am

I read Lord of the Flies a while ago and loved it, and am rereading it for summer reading, and am finding it even more beautiful and powerfully written than last time. The descriptions are breathtaking (except for the ones that are cringe-worthy, bleh), and the characters are well developed and interesting.
I read 1984 soon after my first time reading LOtF and while it wasn't as beautifully written, it was very thought-provoking, and very disturbing.
Allanna Branwen Culwich ~ al4545 ~ Ravenclaw Book Club Head ~ Library + Alte Staff ~ Ravenclaw's Resident Pirate Who Doesn't Do Anything ~ Insane
Rachel Baudelaire
No broom

Post by Rachel Baudelaire » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:02 pm

Lord of the Flies was not bad. These dark, psychological books on the human psyche never fail to intruige me. However, I felt that some parts of it were pretty awkward. Want to read something good and disturbing? Read The King of the Castle! By Susan Hill. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> I looove that novel! ANyone read it yet?
Lyza Zhen Haliwell
No broom

Post by Lyza Zhen Haliwell » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:31 pm

i had a chance to read the book when i was in college and i liked it. It was just light and fun.
|7 1/2" Mahogany w/ Unicorn Hair|GRYFFINDOR|3rd yr|
|PPC|Proud Rabbleteer|MuggleBorn|

siggy by Ceri McHawk
Marguerite Davenport
No broom

Post by Marguerite Davenport » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:47 am

Lord of the Flies is a great book. It is kind of what I think that new show Kid Nation will turn out as.
Proud Member of the Sneer Squad & President of the Order of the Blanket
Proud D. A. MEMBER
Fifth-Year Slytherin Pure Blood

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
Amanda Patel
No broom

Post by Amanda Patel » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:38 pm

Personally, I didn't like Lord of the Flies (but I know some people who do, so I guess it all depends on the person).

I have Animal Farm, but I'm too busy with reading other books that I haven't had time to pick it up. But I did read 1984 when I was a senior in high school and I found it more appealing than Lord of the Flies. Just the entire dystopian world interested me (that being said, I also recommend Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, if anyone likes 1984).
Otis B. Driftwood: It's all right, that's in every contract. That's what they call a sanity clause.
Fiorello: You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Claus!
-A Night at the Opera
Fujiko Ankyo
No broom

Post by Fujiko Ankyo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:50 pm

omg i was so excited to see someone had mentioned george orwell. LOL. 1984 is in the tip five of my favorite books!
Prof. Opal Dragonfly
Cleansweep One

Post by Prof. Opal Dragonfly » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:57 am

Golding's LotF certainly "hits you in the gut" as you watch the veneer of "civilization" (remember that these are supposed to be English schoolboys) peeled away from each of the boys as the novel progresses. It could happen so easlily to any civilization (and JKR makes the same point) when people don't stand up for what's right against what's wrong--no matter their age.

All of Orwell's works are moving--even if some of them are blatantly so--his essay on killing an elephant may be newly appropriate in view of South Africa's lifting its ban on shooting elephants. Prof. Opal
Professor Opal Dragonfly

Magical Creatures Lore I, and II
Potable Potions I, II, and III
Principles of Deep Magic I
Symbolism in HP Literature

My Web Site
Christina Birch
No broom

Post by Christina Birch » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:52 am

I started Lord of the Flies but never finished it. I have read 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell. I didn't care much for Animal Farm, but 1984 is one of my favorite books. The specifics are a bit out-dated now, seeing as it's set in 1984 and we all know that the year wasn't anything like what happened in the book, but the overall plot is still very current. His vision of the future still feels like something that could grow out of our current society. It's a really good book. (and I also agree with what Amanda said, that Brave New World is a good read for anyone who liked 1984)
Nodoka Phoenix
No broom

Post by Nodoka Phoenix » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:35 pm

I had to read that book in high school and I absolutely hated it!! It was one of the most boring and stupid pieces I had ever read! I much preferred when they had us read To Kill a Mockingbird. That is a great book!
Lily Diggory
No broom

Post by Lily Diggory » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:42 am

Lord of the Flies is a fab book full of beautiful descriptions, great characters and a chilling plot. It just proves how much modern society relies on rules and laws. Its a timeless classic. I've never read George Orwell
Last edited by Lily Diggory on Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badger Pride! Hufflepuff to win the House Cup 2011!
Kai Daniels
No broom

Post by Kai Daniels » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:08 am

meh, neither are particularly good.
Leanna Lovegood
No broom

Post by Leanna Lovegood » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:14 am

Animal Farm is also by George Orwell. It's a very interesting read. Very political. (If someone already mentioned it, sorry...) I haven't read Lord of the Flies yet though...
Lanna Aquarra
No broom

Post by Lanna Aquarra » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:12 am

Hmm... as of right now, my english teacher is making us read Lord of the Flies for our novel study. So far, it seems like an interesting book in terms of beautiful description. He has a lovely way of describing things. The main concept of the book (kids getting stranded on the deserted island and setting up their own form of "government") doesn't really appeal to me though, so if it wasn't assigned in school, chances are, I probably wouldn't read it.

As Leanna said, George Orwell has written Animal Farm. I had to read that one two years ago for a novel study as well. It's an interesting read. Very political, like Leanna said, and it shows how there are dictatorships and how others follow them blindly (and sometimes not). My abosolute favourite line from that book is:
"All animals are equal... just some animals are more equal than others."

Priceless. That quote just cracks me up. The animals were working so hard on establishing equality and even writing commandments about it, and then this ended up showing up. It was so counterproductive, but funny. I think it's a good read; I probably would have picked it up if it wasn't assigned for school. :)

"Somtimes, when you hold on too much, it becomes impossible to let go."
"Then don't."
"Then don't what?"
"Don't let go."

Return to “Book Talk”