Tamora Pierce

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Gail Allen

Callowynne Lyrasiriel
No broom

Postby Callowynne Lyrasiriel » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:59 pm

I was just wondering if there are any other avid readers of Tamora Pierce. If you are, what is your favourite book/series?
Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.
--Marcus Aurelius

Melui Kurayami
No broom

Postby Melui Kurayami » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:52 am

I like her books, they're pretty good... My favourite is definitely the Song of the Lioness quartet...what about you?

Elandra Maerdyn
No broom

Postby Elandra Maerdyn » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:37 am

Finally, others who enjoy that loverly author Tamora Pierce ^.^ Personally, I prefer the Song of the Lioness quartet, but the others are really good as well!

Has anyone read her newest books focused on Alanna's daughter (Trickster's Choice/Trickster's Queen)? Although they were pretty good, they were definately my least favorite and I wanted to see if anyone shared my views.

Sophronia Bradenton
No broom

Postby Sophronia Bradenton » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:41 pm

Ahh, you bet I do. My friends got me hooked years ago and I haven't been able to stop since.

I like the Circle of Magic series the best. We all do, we adore those characters, the magical theory used, the students, pretty much everything about it. Not to mention when me and one of my friends was 14, we had a crush on Briar laugh.gif But I love the characters really, and how they all work together in that unique way.

Trickster's Choice I liked. But Trickster's Queen, no, I didn't. Some parts were a bit laggy, political, and Nawat...ugh. See he was splendid, so sweet and adorable in the first book. Then in the second he became a typical guy. He was demoted from my favorite character list very quickly with that.
*Overlord of Oboes and Mistress of the Majestic*

yum yum eat 'em up

Hari
No broom

Postby Hari » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:58 pm

I adore Tamora Pierce's stuff! I haven't read any of her Circle of Magic books, but I have read all the ones set in Tortall. Of the ones that I have read, Song of the Lioness would have to be my favourite. And George is definitely my favourite male character - he and Alanna are just so cute. I really did like Nawat, though; so naive, and the fact that he was a crow is rather novel. Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen were good, I thought, though not as enthralling as some of her other books.
Hari O'Duibhleargain~an381

Alianne Rutherford
No broom

Postby Alianne Rutherford » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:38 am

I am an avid fan also. ^^ I started out with The Immortals, and continued with the rest of her books. I liked the Song of the Lioness quartet the most, but the Circle of Magic books were great too.

Sophronia: I have to agree with you on the topic of Nawat. Trickster's Queen was disappointing for me, even though Trickster's Choice is among my favourites.

Faye Laramie
Moontrimmer

Postby Faye Laramie » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:41 am

I've read every Tamora Pierce book published (yes, I am a reaaaally big fan). My favourite is probably SQUIRE or LADY KNIGHT, although all the books in the Protector of the Small Quartet are pretty good. I did read both TRICKSTER'S CHOICE and TRICKSTER'S QUEEN -- they are both excellent because there are so many factors involved. Also, the scenery is and cultural flavour of the Copper Isles really gives a lot to the story.

I disagree about what you guys say about Trickster's Queen -- it wasn't disappointing in the least. It was action-packed with great characters, even though I don't identify much with Aly. I guess it's because I really enjoy politics (it's one of my favourite subjects, lol). And come on, you can't blame Nawat -- guys are, well, guys. Jonathan had the problem too, and he ended up fine. We can't all have a George or Dom wub.gif
Glumbumble pie.

Crystal Key
No broom

Postby Crystal Key » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:48 pm

* Runs sreaming into chat room* I adore Tamora Pirce! And yes I love The Trickser books, I am listening to Trickser's Queen right now! I monitor all new books by Tamora and so here is some interesting info you might like....

-New Books are coming this fall!

-Melting stones is about Evvy and Rosethorn from the Circle quartets and will be made first as an audiobook by Full Cast Audio in September it is on an island where there is a volcono about to erupt on a very populated island
- The Will Of The Empress is the first book in The Circle Reforged Quartet in wich the four mages reunite but are not as good friends as before and they go to Sandry's relitive, the Empress of Namorn who wants to keep the four in her power also coimg in September but as hardcover

There is more info on other Tamora Pirce sites on the new books. I am soooooo exited about the new books. Tell me what you think
*Still totally freaked*

Crystal
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

P.S. I have also read all the books and have many as audiobooks.
Last edited by Crystal Key on Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lourdes Rowan
No broom

Postby Lourdes Rowan » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:18 am

I actually want to start reading more of her books. As of now, I've only read her Circle of Magic books, which I liked a lot (made me wish I had magical powers). Any recommendations?
"You criticize and detest in others the faults you see in yourself or that you fear others see in you."
-Zachary Podolsky, Harvard Crimson columnist

Crystal Key
No broom

Postby Crystal Key » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:40 pm

* Galares at other posters over french toast* The Trickser books, dispite what they say they are wonderful. Trickser's Choice and Trickser's Queen, They are also audiobooks. Read them and tell us thet they rule.

Crystal

Aislinn Lacy
No broom

Postby Aislinn Lacy » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:30 pm

I loved the Circle of Magic, Those books def. were the best, I'm suprised no one else thinks so as well.....

Sonra Allen
No broom

Postby Sonra Allen » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:22 pm

I LOVE TAMORA PIERCES BOOKS! I've read part of the prootectors of the small series. I've read part of the circles opens series. I've read the whole immortals series. Immortals is my favorite by far. I'm working on redaing her other books.

Adelaide Carson
No broom

Postby Adelaide Carson » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:10 pm

A good friend and neighbor of mine actually recommended the Tamora Pierce books to me, and I took her advice because we have almost the exact same taste in books. I'm glad I did! I love all of Tamora Pierce's books!

I'd have to say my favorite is the Protector of the Small quartet. Then The Immortals quartet, then Trickster's Choice / Trickster's Queen, and finally The Song of the Lioness quartet.
Signature made by me. PM me if you want one! (I can't do animation yet, though. Sorry!)
Proud Lion
Wand: Redwood, 8 and 3/4 inches, Phoenix Feather core
Pet: Snowy Owl named Starr

Elski Brightwater
No broom

Postby Elski Brightwater » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:30 am

Wh00t! Rabid fangirl, right here. I love TP's books, and I own almost all of them. At the moment, I'm still short three Alanna books and Trickster's Queen.

My favorites where the 'Circle of Magic' books, 'Street Magic' from the circle opens, Squire and Lady Knight from 'Protector of the Small', and Trickster's Choice. Heck, I just love them all. happy.gif
" When writing a novel that's pretty much entirely what life turns into: 'House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day.' "
- Neil Gaiman

Crystal Key
No broom

Postby Crystal Key » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:46 am

I think that total love for Tamora is agreed....

What three books are you missing? Just out of curiosity....

Crystal

Elski Brightwater
No broom

Postby Elski Brightwater » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:06 am

Crystal Key wrote:I think that total love for Tamora is agreed....

What three books are you missing? Just out of curiosity....

Crystal

Moi? The last three. My sister got First Test for her birthday, but I still haven't got the others. (First Test lives in my room; Gracie dosn't like the books I like, on principel.)
" When writing a novel that's pretty much entirely what life turns into: 'House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day.' "
- Neil Gaiman

Crystal Key
No broom

Postby Crystal Key » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:16 pm

My little sister(real) can't even read the smallest of the books.....

So I dominate the books in my house, as I am the the massive reader...

Crystal

Ilaina Summers
No broom

Postby Ilaina Summers » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:49 pm

I've read all but the circle of magic. My favorites are Song of the Lioness, then Protector of the Small, then Tricksters and THEN Immortals. I LOOOOOVE them so much! all in all I give her a 9.5/10.

Elski Brightwater wrote:Moi? The last three. My sister got First Test for her birthday, but I still haven't got the others. (First Test lives in my room; Gracie dosn't like the books I like, on principel.)

Same here. Even if I KNOW my brother will like them he wont read them cause I did.

merged your double posts - double posting is considered spam, please remember this smile.gif - Hari

Sophronia Bradenton
No broom

Postby Sophronia Bradenton » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:04 am

Oh gosh the new books coming out soon! Ahhh I'm so glad you told me the titles because just hearing the titles, it's going to be awesome. I love the Circle books so much and look forward to the next ones. Of the stories that take place in Tortall, the Immortals has to be my favorite. I find Daine and her abilities just so incredible and I love people who have abilities like hers. Her romance with Numair had me going kind of "ehhh" (it takes A LOT to get me to agree with romances in books...and I do mean a lot) but I guess it worked out well for them. *shrug*
*Overlord of Oboes and Mistress of the Majestic*

yum yum eat 'em up

Crystal Key
No broom

Postby Crystal Key » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:52 pm

I know like I think I said I am really excited from what I've heard about them. They sound like a really good addition to the quartets. Does anyone think they sound a look different? I saw the cover for the Empress and it looks really dark....

Crystal

Return to “Book Talk”