Eragon

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Lily Rose
No broom

Post by Lily Rose » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:46 am

Looking back, Eragon is mundane compared to Eldest! If Paolini keeps this up, #3 will be the best one yet! (I'm especially looking foreward to #3's cover art!) /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
made by the awesomely incredible Nic @ Sig n' Av Palace! <3
Bridget Malfoy
No broom
Location: Slytherin! Slytherin spirit, come on let's hear it!!!

Post by Bridget Malfoy » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:57 am

Yeah and that's one of the things I like about his writting. It just keeps getting better and better from when he wrote Eragon originally at the age of 15. He's getting older and his writing keeps getting 75 percent better each time. I too am looking farwad to the third and final book. Watch it be nearly a thousand pages long... not that I'm complaining, I would LOVE it to be nearly a thousand pages long. The cover art should be spectacular as well, that too has gotten even more amazing since the cover of Eragon. With this series you really can't go wrong! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Willow Granger
No broom

Post by Willow Granger » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:14 am

I have a friend that loved Eragon, and read the sequel, Eldest. I know what the books are about, but I never read them. I will someday, though. I think the plot is great.

Willow
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter" ---Dr. Seuss
Prof. Esmerelda Knotwise
No broom

Post by Prof. Esmerelda Knotwise » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:39 pm

I bought this book about a month ago, but I just began reading it yesterday. I will agree that the plot is a little slow in the beginning, but I don't think it is boring. I do think that it needs to go a little slower when introducing a new world, new characters, etc. because otherwise it's just mind boggling, and you can't keep up with what's going on. I know I kept looking at the map throughout he first few chapters, thinking that I'd never get the layout of this new land. I also agree that it's terribly similar to other fantasy books, but let's be honest. No one will ever outdo Tolkien in that genre (in my opinion!). So far, it has captured my interest, which is what counts, I guess.
..: ESMERELDA :..
Ancient Runes: Grave Markers Professor
Hufflepuff Extraordinaire
Aiko Ghwitches
No broom

Post by Aiko Ghwitches » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:03 pm

yeah.. its great book after HP of course.
i need a week to finish this book
Prof. Jenny Lupin
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Jenny Lupin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:00 am

I LOVED Eragon and Eldest. I thought they were fantastic, and although there are many similarities to other fantasy books, Paolini did a great job of bringing things together in a new way. For those of you who haven't read Eldest, you are going to love it. It starts out a bit slow but the ending... Wow /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />
|Jenny Lupin|je360|Gryffindor|dHoH|Gryff Quidditch Captain|Gryff Seeker|
|Paw Print Editor|Lion's Pride Awards Committee Head|HOL Quidditch Class Assistant|
|Captain J.L. Winneboygan|Rabid KAT-TUN Fangirl|AKAME Fanatic|<3 Akanishi Jin <3|
Prof. Esmerelda Knotwise
No broom

Post by Prof. Esmerelda Knotwise » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:31 pm

I read somewhere that this author was just 15 or 16 when he wrote this book. Or maybe it's that he graduated at 15, but he immediately became a best seller. That's amazing!
..: ESMERELDA :..
Ancient Runes: Grave Markers Professor
Hufflepuff Extraordinaire
Bridget Malfoy
No broom
Location: Slytherin! Slytherin spirit, come on let's hear it!!!

Post by Bridget Malfoy » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:06 pm

Yes he did write Eragon at the age of 15. By 21 he finished Eldest. Suposently he's already a fourth of the way done with the third and final book. Oh I can't wait!!!!
Catriona Watson
Oakshaft 79

Post by Catriona Watson » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:40 am

I have just finished the book 'Eragon' and is continuing with the 'Eldest'. I find that this is a good book with a lot of similarities with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings but it is ok. We should be quite familiar with these magical and fantasy books by now so it is easier to understand them better. It is not so boring but just a bit of slow in the beginning and it gets better and better until the end. I cannot wait to continue the next book 'Eldest' and guess it will be just as good.

And wow! they are making a movie...I think it is very wonderful idea, am looking forward to it. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Mirna Weasley
No broom

Post by Mirna Weasley » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:52 am

I liked Eragon and Eldest. The first chapter was boring. But it got a lot more exciting as I got more into it. It's fantastic, and although there are many similarities to other fantasy books. I hope the third book is a best for the best more from Eragon and Eldest. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Lyza Zhen Haliwell
No broom

Post by Lyza Zhen Haliwell » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:05 am

Loved it. I've read it for only 7 hours non stop. I could not get it down. I didn't even stop for a drink or to eat. I kept reading till i was done. Then I've bought my own copy and now I'm rereading it. It's way cool and creative (although I can't help but to find similarities with other books). I love it. WOOT!
|7 1/2" Mahogany w/ Unicorn Hair|GRYFFINDOR|3rd yr|
|PPC|Proud Rabbleteer|MuggleBorn|

siggy by Ceri McHawk
Taylore Watson
No broom

Post by Taylore Watson » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:44 am

I finally got past the first chapter and I really like it after that. Still haven't finished it and I think I'm going to have to start over because it's been a while since I read it. I had better get started on that... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> After I finish those ten other books.
Lily Rose
No broom

Post by Lily Rose » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:35 pm

does anyone know when the movie is coming out? /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />
made by the awesomely incredible Nic @ Sig n' Av Palace! <3
Amanda Hensgen
No broom

Post by Amanda Hensgen » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:53 am

Well I basically just finished Eragon a few days ago. My mom had been urging me to read it for a year or two now. But things also came up too busy, not interested, etc. I'm normally not a big fan of fantasy dragon type novels, besides of course Harry Potter and LotR. Anyway, I decided that it would be a good time to begin it and I'm extremely happy I did cause the novel was amazing.

I really loved it because it's a lot different then most books I read. True, it was similar to many fantasy books, but essentially all fantasy books have many similar aspects. Overall though this novel was awesome. I just love the relationship between Saphira and Eragon. The whole "mind-reading" thing and how they are connected is so unique and interesting. I'm just starting Eldest right now and have high expectations for it. /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />
Lyza Zhen Haliwell
No broom

Post by Lyza Zhen Haliwell » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:03 am

Amanda, I knew i would find you here. Well that is okay, even if you missed it out for the couple of years. the imporatant thing is that you are now finished. It's really light and easily understood. I love it better than the LotR. Although I feel that there are parts were they were almost tracking the same path. Eragon was only released here last year and I was unfortunate not to have a copy so I did searching around every bookstores to be able to avail one. Thank goodness there are still stocks in Power books. Love it and can't wait to see the movie and read the Eldest.

siggy by Ceri McHawk
Hazel Kaprano
No broom

Post by Hazel Kaprano » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:01 am

My friend told me she read both Eragon and Eldest and she was very happy to find a copy of Eragon in the school library since she lost her own copy in Mexico. There was another copy (and the last one) so I decided to take it. I was scanning HOL hoping to find more books to read because I was getting sick of reading the same books I had over and over again. I found out Eragon was a good book and even the librarian told me it was. I've read the first few pages and I can't stop reading it! Another reason why I wanted to read it was to get ready for the movie I hear is coming up pretty soon! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Hazel Kaprano | Ravenclaw
Lyza Zhen Haliwell
No broom

Post by Lyza Zhen Haliwell » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:22 am

It's coming, alright. the preview was delayed for reasons we can't possible construe. but still the movie will be out on December. cool. at least we get to do some things before HP 7 is released.

siggy by Ceri McHawk
Bev Grey
No broom

Post by Bev Grey » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:44 am

This was a really good book...but I like the Eldest (book 2) better

"I'd Rather Be Hated For Who I Am Then Loved For Who I Am Not"
Persephone Farnon
No broom

Post by Persephone Farnon » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:12 am

I read Eragon but haven't read Eldest yet. I was going to reread Eragon before the release of the movie, but I got lazy! I figure watching the movie (whenever I get around to it) will be enough a refresher for me to finally read Eldest. The one thing that struck me about Eragon is the similarity in place names and mythology to LOTR, though the storyline seems original.
Jesse LeFay
Oakshaft 79
Location: Slytherin, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

Post by Jesse LeFay » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:51 pm

I'd heard of Eragon before, but didn't really care for it...then I was just wandering around in WHSmith, saw it and bought it on impulse ^^ I agree with most of you here, the book was a bit boring in the beginning and held quite a few similarities to other fantasy books that we all know and love (hail harry potter!) but all in all it was a good book.

I got Eldest from my local library a few days after I finished reading Eragon....and that was a much better book, and really explained a lot of things, 'jam-packed' with action etc... I can't wait to see the movie =)
Memento Mori
unus putesco slytherins regnum munduso
*Love is nothing but an Illusion*
~*SLYTHERIN PRIDE PRIDE PRIDE!!!*~
~*Credits to Camille Ritter for the lovely siggy above*~

Return to “Book Talk”