Dan Brown

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Allie Pitoyo
No broom

Post by Allie Pitoyo » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:22 pm

Well, it's an entertaining enough to read, but the writing style is so similar to so many other american authors it's forgetable, and the historical facts and the controversy feels so 'forced'. All his books have that blatant ambition 'going to made into movies' feels, it so forgetable.
Jamie Buckland
No broom

Post by Jamie Buckland » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:16 am

i have read deception point and im reading the Da Vinci code at the moment. i think the books are great, and its amazing how much of it is true. i remember watching a documentry on the same things Dan Brown brought up in the Da Vinci code. im looking forward to seeing the movie.

i think i liked deception point better though because the actions of the characters made more sense. some of the things they did in th Da Vinci code seemed a bit far fetched.

ive heard alot of people say how they read the Da Vinci code first, are you ment to read angles and demons befor Da Vinci code?
Amanda Hensgen
No broom

Post by Amanda Hensgen » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:53 am

Here I go with posting in another very old topic again. lols XD Anyway I've only read one book by Dan Brown which is The DaVinci Code. I really enjoyed this book as a fiction book and that's all. I get really annoyed with people who say this book is horrible, should be burned, and is completely inaccurate. The whole point is The DaVinici Code is simply an adventure story. It's meant to entertain people not be a real doccument of something that has happened.

Undoubtebly many art, historical pieces, and other things in this novel were based of real people, places, and things; however the plot is just ficition. For these reasons it angers me a great deal when people are so against this novel. Anyway there were parts when this book thoroughly bored me, although overall it was really interesting. I loved the idea of the story and how all the clues and riddles were connected to solve this one great big mystery. Additionally, I loved how this novel seemed so realisitic which in the end caused all the dispute over it, but made it a better book because of the realness.

Besides this novel by Brown, I plan on reading Angels and Demons soon because many friends have reccomended it. *nods*
Prof. Opal Curare
Oakshaft 79

Post by Prof. Opal Curare » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:55 am

I read Angels and Demons before The DaVinci Code, and I definitely prefer A&D. Dan Brown is an ok writer, nothing extraordinary in my opinion... I find the subject matter much more intriguing than his writings on it. I think the hype is a bit overrated, personally.

-Opal

"A single sunbeam is enough to chase away many shadows."
"Always."
Hazel Kaprano
No broom

Post by Hazel Kaprano » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:03 am

I've never read any of Dan Brown's books. The DaVinci Code seems like the only good book Dan Brown has written, maybe because the movie has caught my attention. It seems very interesting, despite the "stuff" Dan Brown wrote in the book. I want to see the movie, and I might go read it once I'm finished with the book I'm reading now.
Hazel Kaprano | Ravenclaw
Lenore Spiaggi
No broom

Post by Lenore Spiaggi » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:00 pm

I read The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons during the summer. And then I read some guides about them. I will agree they are both great page-turners, but hardly great literature. The characters are quite flat and the historical research plain flawed in places (much more so in the Code).
"They say you are a witch." "They lie; I am a cunning woman."
Serene Otempora
No broom

Post by Serene Otempora » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:35 pm

I love Dan Brown's novels. They are always so interesting and intriguing. I have read Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code. I want to read the other novels but I can't seem to find them anywhere.
Brenna Westfeld
Oakshaft 79

Post by Brenna Westfeld » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:04 am

I really enjoyed the Da Vinci Code, though you certainly need to take everything you read with a grain of salt. The book was much more enjoyable than the movie, which I found rather slow and not very true to the feeling of the book. It was a great page turner, and while it may not be considered great literature, it was certainly more entertaining and interesting than a lot of other books I have read recently.

I also read Angels and Demons, which I found was a little more unbelievable in some parts than the Da Vinci Code. I had it figured out before the end this time too. Also a fun read though, although it often felt a bit rushed.

I read Digital Fortress last, and while it was a fun read, I had it figured out about halfway through the book. It wasn't nearly as good as the other two, in my opinion.
India Jolly
No broom

Post by India Jolly » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:22 am

I have read all four of Dan Brown's books and liked them all, especially Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, although they are very similar in the plot - like the same book but with different names and places each time!
I really loved the ambigrams in Angels and Demons and I have been giving them a try myself - I have a wicked one for Severus Snape. Has anybody else given this a go?
"Would you like me to do it now?" asked Snape, his voice heavy with irony. "Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?"
Jenna Hathaway
Moontrimmer

Post by Jenna Hathaway » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:41 am

I've read all four books and enjoyed all of them, it's hard to put them down most of the time. What I really like about his writing style is that it's very detailed and filled with research data so much that we're just amazed by the effort that went into them. Plus all of them only tell the story that happens no longer than 24 hours, even though the novels are all pretty thick. So that's another impressive and unique characteristic of his novels.
Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure
Ireth Halliwell
No broom

Post by Ireth Halliwell » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:30 am

I only read Da Vinci Code, because I haven't got time (and money) to buy the other books. But I already fell in love with Dan Brown's work. It was fun to read. I could feel as adventurous as the details in the book during reading. I will buy the rest three books after I got some money. Some day. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Prof. Zoki Phantom
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Zoki Phantom » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:05 pm

Oh, Dan Brown is one of my favorite authors. I just love all his books. But my personal favorite is Angels & Demons, which is also one of my two (all-time)favorite books. :P
Ellie Warhol
No broom

Post by Ellie Warhol » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:38 am

I have read Angels & Deamon and The DaVinci Code

Angels & Deamons is my favorite of the two of them, though I do love DaVinci Code. I am going to read the other two books Dan Brown wrote. Does anybody have a recomendation on which I should read first?
Alexia Riaper
Silver Arrow

Post by Alexia Riaper » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:35 am

Angels and Demons was my favourite. And I love it when you see someone reading the book, and then they turn it upside down - you know which part of the book they're at!!! Ellie, I'd recommend Deception Point. I liked it a little more than Digital Fortress, but maybe that's because I'm not really technically/computer inclined. Both are good though.
Kiri Galdor
No broom

Post by Kiri Galdor » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:43 am

I liked all the books, although I preferred Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons to Deception Point and Digital Fortress.

I see that the movie for Angels and Demons is coming out next year, I think. Anyway, the trailer looks good.

Will still prefer the books though, I nearly always do.

Made by the fabulous Annie

Bring me fun, bring me sunshine, bring me love....

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity -- Dorothy Parker
Prof. Zoki Phantom
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Zoki Phantom » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:59 pm

Ooooh, there is a movie coming out too? That should be interesting. *goes to check*
Liam Weasly
No broom

Post by Liam Weasly » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:05 am

I love Dan Brown especially Angels And Demons and Da Vinci Code, my favrite being angels and demons, i love the last page... ;)
Nodoka Phoenix
No broom

Post by Nodoka Phoenix » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:22 am

I read The Divinci Code after seeing the movie and loving it. When I saw they did a movie out of his Angels & Demons, I decided to read it as well. Right now I have his new one The Lost Symbol in my Amazon cart on pre-order for it's release later this month - I cant wait!!
Lily Diggory
No broom

Post by Lily Diggory » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:46 am

I like Angels and Demons, Da Vinci Code and Deception Point. They are all great. I didn't like Digital Fortress though.
Badger Pride! Hufflepuff to win the House Cup 2011!
Kai Daniels
No broom

Post by Kai Daniels » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:12 am

Dan Brown is a bit puzzling to me. His writing isn't particularly skilful, but the plots are great.

Return to “Book Talk”