Lemony Snicket Or Daniel Handler Books

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Konoka Hanajima
No broom

Post by Konoka Hanajima » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:47 pm

Anyone here a fan of A Series of Unfortunate Events books by Lemony Snicket? Anyone here a fan of any other books written by Daniel Handler such as Watch Your Mouth or the Basic Eight? If one is wondering why I made only one thread for two authors it's because Lemony Snicket is Daniel Handler, if one didn't know that. So anyone a fan of any of his books like I am? I've read all the books in the series up to date and I've read the the unauatorized autobiography in cluding Watch Your Mouth and The Basic Eight.
made in sig an av palace by hena
Katie Morris
No broom

Post by Katie Morris » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:44 pm

I'm a fan of Unfortunate Events, I've read them all in the series so far as well. I wasn't too keen on the film though >_<
Alley Kitten
No broom

Post by Alley Kitten » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:42 am

I've read all the Lemony Snicket: Series of Unfortunate Event books that have been published thus far. I've also read "The Basic Eight" by Daniel Handler.

I find all of his books quite interesting and love their "sarcastic" humor. However, I think I would have enjoyed The Basic Eight a lot more as a young teenager. I found most of it to be seriously unrealistic.

"Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it."
Vanille Demilly
No broom

Post by Vanille Demilly » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:27 am

Haha, I <3 Lemony Snicket. xD I've read all the published books of A.S.O.U.E. so far, and I can't wait for the 12th one. =D The Unauthorized Autobiography was hilarious too. xD

I've never read any of Daniel Handler's books, though. I would like to, but I'm wondering if the writing style still is the same. :\
Livia Taro
No broom

Post by Livia Taro » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:11 am

Is the movie good? I rea the book but I didnt see the movie
Narcia Bellamy
No broom

Post by Narcia Bellamy » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:22 am

I've just started the series and am halfway through the third book. My husband and I are going to rent the movie when I finish the book (so, probably this weekend!), and I've got my fingers crossed that it's enjoyable. At least I know Jim Carrey is proabably perfectly cast!
Elizabeth Van Horn

Post by Elizabeth Van Horn » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:26 am

Oh im a fuge fan of Unfortunate evants! I cant wait till that next one comes out! I like his writing style, its cool.

(edited out unclosed colour and font tags - Hari)
Last edited by Elizabeth Van Horn on Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sophia Dotchger
No broom

Post by Sophia Dotchger » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:49 pm

Definetly me!!
Emma Greene
No broom

Post by Emma Greene » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:44 pm

At the beginning, I didn't even know who Lemony Snicket was. *No offence to his fans* But I watched the movie and enjoyed it tremendously. It was hilarious yet tinted with a dark edge because there was a evil guy trying to kill them. In all, I haven't read his books. But I really love the movie!
Regina Silverthread
No broom

Post by Regina Silverthread » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:10 am

I've only read the first Lemony Snicket Book because I can't find the others in any bookstore /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> . I loved it! I've also seen the movie. Nice trick they had Jude Law make Lemony Snicket's voice. I enjoyed it a lot as he's my favourite actor!
Sirena Serephina
No broom

Post by Sirena Serephina » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:21 pm

I've been a fan of the books since the very begginning, I love black comedy, it's so dark, yet so humoures. I loved the movie too, I especially loved Jim Carrey and Emily Browning. Emily is such a classicaly beautiful girl and Jim Carrey is just.. Jim Carrey! : ) They're both so talented, the script was great, it was the next best thing to reading the book. I was scared that the style of the books couldn't be protrayed onto film, but it was done well. That's my two sickles! : )
Hazel Kaprano
No broom

Post by Hazel Kaprano » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:56 am

I've read all the A Series of Unfortunate events books, including the Unauthroized Autobiography of Lemony Snicket. I've never read Daniel Handler's books and I never knew Lemony Snicket was Daniel Handler! That can't be right can it? /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />
Hazel Kaprano | Ravenclaw
Raevyn Lovel
No broom

Post by Raevyn Lovel » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:54 am

I love this series. It took a bit to get into, the first couple books seemed a bit...dumbed down, but they quickly got better.

The new book is out on October 18th, by the way. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Raevyn Lovel | ra503 | Image | Second Year | Quidditch Lover

Wendy Marid
No broom

Post by Wendy Marid » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:59 am

I have read all but 10 and up of the series because I haven't been able to go buy or checkout a book in a while. Though I wish to hope to catch up with the series.
"He leaned across the table, he looked me straight in the eye, and he said, "Aubrey, may I trouble you for the salt?" - Captain Jack Aubrey (Master and Commander)
Destiny Travbelli
No broom

Post by Destiny Travbelli » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:22 pm

Ooh I like the Series of Unfortune Events Books by Lemony Snicket! I only read up to number 5 but they are really good. Sad, but well written.

Cheerleader on the Gryffindor Special Sprit Squad!!
GO-GO-Gryffindor!!
Adelaide Carson
No broom

Post by Adelaide Carson » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:44 am

I'm excited to read the 12th one. I read somewhere that, for the time being, it's being called 'The Nameless Novel'. I don't know if that's the actual title, but I like it.
Signature made by me. PM me if you want one! (I can't do animation yet, though. Sorry!)
Proud Lion
Wand: Redwood, 8 and 3/4 inches, Phoenix Feather core
Pet: Snowy Owl named Starr
Raevyn Lovel
No broom

Post by Raevyn Lovel » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:21 pm

Adelaide Carson wrote:I'm excited to read the 12th one.  I read somewhere that, for the time being, it's being called 'The Nameless Novel'.  I don't know if that's the actual title, but I like it.
It's not. There's a whole webpage you can go to to figure out the mystery of the next title. Google "The Nameless Novel" to get to it. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Raevyn Lovel | ra503 | Image | Second Year | Quidditch Lover

Kat Benton
No broom

Post by Kat Benton » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:58 pm

I love Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. I've heard there will only be 13, though, and that saddens me. One of my students let me borrow them last year, and I finished the 11th one right before Christmas (just before seeing the movie). I can't wait for the 12th! I found out about it coming out at the Harry Potter midnight release, oddly enough, because Borders was giving out Misfortune Tellers from ASOUE.

I hope the Quagmire triplets will feature more in the 12th book. I'd like to see them reunited, at least briefly!
Cyriel Aurorus
No broom

Post by Cyriel Aurorus » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:38 pm

I've only read the first 9 of them. I suppose they haven't translated the rest yet and I couldn't find them in English /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Anyway I really liked them! Poor kids /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Hope they have a better life in future /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
|Cyriel Bowl of D00m! \o/|cy602|Fifth Year|Prefect|
|SPD|Spice Squad|Paw Print|LCPP Head|Teh Ubar|
Rebecca Peck
No broom

Post by Rebecca Peck » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:22 pm

I love Lemony Snicket. A series of unfortunate events is a very cool book series. I love Violet the best she is really cool.
Made by Cho Delacour in Siganture Palace

Wand: 11 inches, Mahogany, Unicorn hair
Pets: An Eagle owl called Spock
Kingdom: Silver Starfruit
Blood: Pure blooded and proud to be a Hufflepuff

Return to “Book Talk”