Summer Reading

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion
Blake Slatton
No broom

Post by Blake Slatton » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:06 pm

Really, summer reading was invented just to keep student's minds engaged over the summer. But still it's pointless. I mean really - half of us aren't going to read them, a quarter of us are going to do it right when school gets out and then feel accomplished, only to forget it all by the time school resumes, and then the other quarter of us are actually going to do it and think about it.

But still ... what are your summer reading books, if you have any?

I've got:
Life of Pi, Yann Martel
Anthem, Ayn Rand
Night, Elie Wiesel (sp?)

I'm on Chapter 93 of Life of Pi and it's a great book. As for the other two, I haven't started yet. But still ... Life of Pi is absolutely great. It's about this sixteen year old kid who's family owns an Indian zoo. He has a keen interest in religion and zoology. But when his family decides to move overseas, they have to close the zoo. They sell most of the animals, although a large haul of them go overseas on a boat with the Patel family. However, during a terrible storm, the ship sinks, leaving the main character Pi stuck in a boat with only survival equipment, a Bengal tiger, an orangutan, a rat, a zebra, a few cockroaches ... and himself. This book, although full of suspense and emotion, is great - a "modern classic" as the back of the book says. I think it's great and would recommend it to anyone.
Alte Sententiam | Pensieve Opinion Staff
Ravenclaw Book Club | Writer's Society

Sig made by Vladimir of Sig 'N 'Av Palace
Faye Laramie
Moontrimmer

Post by Faye Laramie » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:08 pm

Hey, this is a good topic /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I've read both Anthem (which I didn't like very much) and Night (which I liked a lot). I was suppsed to read the Life of Pi for a book discussion group last year, but it never worked out. My friend says that it was good though.

I'm a rising senior, so our summer reading list is "World Lit." For freshmen it's "Different Genres", sophomores have "American Lit" and juniors "British Lit." We get a list of authors on the reading list and we have to pick two books from these authors:

Chinua Achebe
Isabel Allende
Christopher Bohjalian
Jhumpa Lahiri
G. Garcia Marquez
Cormac McCarthy
Toni Morrison
A. Solzhenitsyn
Tom Stoppard
Virginia Woolf

I'm probably going to end up reading The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, and House of Spirits by Isabel Allende. I've read The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri and LOVED that - it was such a an accurate account of Asian culture. But I also want to read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard, except I haven't read Hamlet yet so I'm not sure if I would get it.

Ok I'll stop rambling *g*
Glumbumble pie.
Gabrielle Walker
No broom

Post by Gabrielle Walker » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:09 pm

My summer reading only requires 3 books, but I will read all 20. Trust me, I will. Anyway, the books are as follows:

The Pearl
Deathwatch
Gettysburg
The Forgotten Storm
Rocks and Minerals
Hickory, Dickory, Death
Before the Storm: American Indians Before the Europeans
Force and Motion
Energy, Force, and Motion
Crossing the Panther's Path
Of Human Bondage
Room in the Heart
The Wayfinder
A Seperate Peace

These are only a few of them all and so far I have finished all documentation for my required three and read 7 more. I love reading, but I always try to get this all done in the first week of summer.
Faye Laramie
Moontrimmer

Post by Faye Laramie » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:14 pm

I *LOVED* A Separate Peace -- it's probably one of my favourite books I ever read in school. I didn't like The Pearl much though, if you're looking for good Steinbeck, Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath are better.

Those books are for subjects other than English, right? I remember reading The Jungle (which I could get through) and The Souls of Black Folk (which I really tried, but couldn't) for US history. And for the Force and Motion books... I didn't know physics required summer reading! At my school we get a packet with 100 problems :S
Glumbumble pie.
Gabrielle Walker
No broom

Post by Gabrielle Walker » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:20 pm

All of my books are for English. They got rid of all reading classes when they saw our reading test scores. Physical Science was 6th grade. I am taking Earth science this year. They just wanted to give us some educational books to refresh our memories. Every book is for English and we just have to fill in the little sheets about what we learned.

I know, The Pearl was a great book. It was required for everyone to read, yet it only took two hours to read and do all the work on. I thought it didn't fit with the style of the books they were suggesting.

I am working on reading Seperate Peace. I have just started it and so far find it quite interesting.
Jonathan Rico
No broom

Post by Jonathan Rico » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:20 pm

I just finished writing down the two books which I had to read over the summer, but of course I will read them AFTER I finish with HP 6 /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

This Boys Life By Tobias Wolfe for Englsih
Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglas for History

They seem like boring books, but w/e as long as I get them read before September /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Jonathan Rico | jo413 | Gryffindor
Thank you for the borderline amazing avatar, Taelin!
Sophronia Bradenton
No broom

Post by Sophronia Bradenton » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:24 pm

What's weird is we don't have summer reading lists like that, the ones that say, "Oh you can read as many books as you want". I wish we did, though, because I love reading.

This year I'm going to be a senior in high school and most of my classes are going to be music electives, as well as one language and creative writing and English. For French we have this gigantic summer work packet of doom. For English, we have to read "Cry, the Beloved Country" by Alan Paton. I've heard it was good, but I don't know, anyone's read it yet? Last year we had to read "Angela's Ashes". It was...um...interesting.

The Jungle was pretty good, I thought. I had to read it for AP US 1.
*Overlord of Oboes and Mistress of the Majestic*

yum yum eat 'em up
Konoka Hanajima
No broom

Post by Konoka Hanajima » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:56 pm

Well, for my english class I have to read The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway, and Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. For my piano lessons I have to read two books, one for music theory and another for the history of classical composers. I can't remember what the books are called and I'm too lazy to try to find them now. I actually have to read the sixth Harry Potter book as an assignment in my creative writing class (that I take in a community college instead of in the high school because my high school doesn't have that class) next year. I'm actually surprised that this year I have nothing to read for history. I'm finished with all my summer reading except for The Half Blood Prince but if I were done with it at this moment I would probably be in so much trouble. Sophmore year is going to be quite interesting. My schedule for next year is totally suicidal but I think I can handle it.
Last edited by Konoka Hanajima on Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
made in sig an av palace by hena
Eaven Braenwood
No broom

Post by Eaven Braenwood » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:17 pm

Isabel Allende is incredible, I highly recommend you read her work. I have all of her works todate and her ability to evoke the magical realist mood of South American literature, but make it accessible to a Westernised audience is amazing. House of the Spirits is beautiful in the way that it takes the reality of Chile throughout the 20th century and universalises it. Also Paula is incredible because it is so genuine and raw. It is about the death of her daughter.

Eaven
Angelina Bell
No broom
Location: A Place Where Heaven And Earth Are One And The Same (Gryffindor)

Post by Angelina Bell » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:52 pm

My Summer Reading is read 3 books from a list of 3 books (I'm in Pre-Advanced Prep) Not much choice but so far so good

Summer Of My German Soldier by Bette Greene, was soooooo touching. It hit me in the Heart. The book is about a 12 year-old Jewish girl who rescues a German Solider when he runs away from the local prison camp (yes this was a WWII story)

Dandeline Wine by Ray Bradburry, is intresting. It reminds me of my friends and it sort of reminds me of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, though it's easier to understand.

Watership Down by Richard Adams, is my 3rd book but I haven't started it yet. It's about bunny's and (from what I have heard) is almost as good and life changing as Firebringer by David Clement-Davies.

Siggy done by Rachel Baudelaire
Sophronia Bradenton
No broom

Post by Sophronia Bradenton » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:11 pm

AHHH Watership Down!!! You've just gotten me all excited by mentioning my favorite book in the ENTIRE world! I've read this book countless times since I was in 4th grade, and the movie of it like, built my childhood. I saw the movie first when I was no more than 3 or 4 years old and loved it ever since. I've got the whole movie memorized, can quote passages from the book at the drop of a hat, and have had this strange obsession with rabbits all my life. It is, really, one of THE greatest books I've ever read, and whoa the music in the movie is awesome too. It's so good. I've never read Firebringer but I have read The Sight, another book by him, and Firebringer is sitting on my shelf right now begging to be read. Which I will do this summer. But ohhh Watership Down is SO good. It's really dramatic and brilliantly written, and I think this book will always be a major part of my life. Right okay I'll shut up because I can go on forever about how much I love this book /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> I hope you get to read it and love it too.
*Overlord of Oboes and Mistress of the Majestic*

yum yum eat 'em up
Blake Slatton
No broom

Post by Blake Slatton » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:55 pm

Yeah, I'm a rising sophomore, so these are books for that level. Last year for freshman reading I had to read Edith Hamilton's Mythology, I Heard the Owl Call My Name, Daisy Miller, The Illustrated Man, and Farewell to Manzanar.

Although Farewell to Manzanar was very short, it was very good. It's depictions of the asians in work camps was SO descriptive and interesting to read. I'd also recommend that to ANYONE.

I think Watership Down is one of the lists for rising juniors. But I can't be too sure - it's somewhere on the list though.
Alte Sententiam | Pensieve Opinion Staff
Ravenclaw Book Club | Writer's Society

Sig made by Vladimir of Sig 'N 'Av Palace
Prof. Hermione Pena
No broom

Post by Prof. Hermione Pena » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:57 pm

As I'm too lazy to take AP English and my school doesn't offer honors English for 12th grade, I don't have any summer reading there (for the first time in years!). However, I got a summer reading assignment for my AP Government class. I have to read Democrary in America, by Alexis de Tocqueville, which is this huge book over 900 pages long. I'm really not looking forward to starting that...
Magic is the sun that makes a rainbow out of rain
Magic keeps the dream alive to try and try again
Magic is the love that stays when good friends have to leave
I do believe in magic, I believe
Prof. Maya Winters
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Maya Winters » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:55 pm

I really wish I'd been given reading lists when I was at school, I love reading. I mean I still read and all that, but it would be nice if decent books were suggested to me (subtle hint here, if anyone has read any amazing books recently let me know - other than HP obviously!)
Thanks to Dario for providing me with the shiny butterflies for my sig/av ^^
Darcey Goode
Oakshaft 79

Post by Darcey Goode » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:28 am

There are a lot of things listed here that I haven't read, but The Great Gatsby is one of my favourites. I read it (out of choice) when I was in my third year at high school. My teacher wasn't too keen to let me (the same teacher who was happy to let me read Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles - go figure), and tried to make me read Animal Farm instead. I gave up after 20 pages or so and got Gatsby back. She gave up after that, funnily enough. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I never had reading lists at school. The only "official" summer reading I was ever given was my personal study choice for Higher English (I did A Walk To Remember), which I had to read over the summer. Nothing else.
Slytherin | da357 | Preppy!Darcey | Queen of All Music | Random Slyth
Nexi's Beater | NOT scary | Terrible | Stalking Biggles | Bludger Magnet
Hari
No broom

Post by Hari » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:51 am

I have to read two books before school starts again. They are Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser and A Farewell To Arms by Ernest Hemingway.

I have a whole bunch of other books I want to read over the summer, though. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
Hari O'Duibhleargain~an381
Nikki Malfoy
No broom

Post by Nikki Malfoy » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:38 pm

all I have to read is "steal away home"..i havent started yet. i dont even have the book yet. but i think im going to be reading that book,ootp, and some other book that i have in my house, since i have nothing else to do.
meh
Tulojow Nagde
No broom

Post by Tulojow Nagde » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:52 pm

Ahhh. Memories. I remember summer reading. It seemed annoying at the time, but how I would love to have to just read books all summer.

My high school actually didn't have required lists; we were able to choose our summer reading, but they had to be approved. I managed to only have to read one for my senior year because I agreed to read Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky and they decided it was long and hard enough.
Sometimes life gives us lessons sent in ridiculous packaging.
- Dar Williams
Never Headbutt A Unicorn!Image
Olivia Cherwood
No broom

Post by Olivia Cherwood » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:04 am

Blake Slatton wrote:Really, summer reading was invented just to keep student's minds engaged over the summer. But still it's pointless. I mean really - half of us aren't going to read them, a quarter of us are going to do it right when school gets out and then feel accomplished, only to forget it all by the time school resumes, and then the other quarter of us are actually going to do it and think about it.

But still ... what are your summer reading books, if you have any?

I've got:
Life of Pi, Yann Martel
Anthem, Ayn Rand
Night, Elie Wiesel (sp?)

I'm on Chapter 93 of Life of Pi and it's a great book. As for the other two, I haven't started yet. But still ... Life of Pi is absolutely great. It's about this sixteen year old kid who's family owns an Indian zoo. He has a keen interest in religion and zoology. But when his family decides to move overseas, they have to close the zoo. They sell most of the animals, although a large haul of them go overseas on a boat with the Patel family. However, during a terrible storm, the ship sinks, leaving the main character Pi stuck in a boat with only survival equipment, a Bengal tiger, an orangutan, a rat, a zebra, a few cockroaches ... and himself. This book, although full of suspense and emotion, is great - a "modern classic" as the back of the book says. I think it's great and would recommend it to anyone.

I dont really like summer reading, actually I have never done summer reading before. I never took it seriously, but now that I am entering middle school, I have to read 3 books for my summer reading, and I will get tested on them once I get back to school!!! Errrrr!!!! MOst of those book s I have already read in previous grades!!I have read 2 out of 3 of the required books in previous years and I am half way through the third one! I love reading but for leisure, not required. If I really like the book I am reading I finish it fast, I read Romeo and Juliet in first grade in half an hour(actually it was not the original), Black Beuaty in third grade which took me like a week, the harry potter books took really quick for me to read, the first 1 day, the second and third 3 days each, the fourth 4 days and the fifth 5 days!! I love reading!!Just not on vacation. In fact the last summer book I have to read is really only like 125 pages long, but it is BORING! (sorry about the caps lock, and I am in Canada and I ma not used to the keyboards here, so I havent firgured out where the apostrophe is! fyi I live in the usa but I ma on vacation visiting family in Montreal! Oh yeah back to the topic, my summer readinglist is Bud Not BUddy,The Mystery of the Missing Gator of Gumbo Limbo(bore fest!), and The Talking Earth??
Prof. Hailey Potter
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Hailey Potter » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:39 am

Uh.... I have to read A Tree Grows In Brooklyn and Frankenstein.... in three weeks... since, I have to go back the 27th of this month. Stupid all year round school... I'm a little past a third through the first one, though, but I still have a lot to read... I hate reading books assigned to read, but they're "required" and I'd hate to have my first grade in Honors English 2 to be a bad grade, seeing as how that's how I started Honors English 1 last year....
Gryffindor Professor|HOL 101, An Introduction to Divination, and Advanced Divination
Spice Squad Captain|Paw Print EiC|Lions' Pride

Return to “Book Talk”