Anyone Speak Elvish?

Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Adoril Milner
No broom

Postby Adoril Milner » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:25 pm

Elin sila lummen' omentielvo!

Anyone speak fluent Quenya or Sindarian? I am just learning Quenya and am interested if anyone else speaks it.

Prof. Zoki Phantom
Shooting Star

Postby Prof. Zoki Phantom » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:08 am

I myself don't, though I always look upon learning new languages so I might check it out in near future if I have the time. But, I do believe Niniel had some knowledge of Quenya. Or at least I think so. :)
Last edited by Prof. Zoki Phantom on Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:06 pm

I do indeed know a thing or two. To say I speak it fluently would be exaggerating it though. First off there's not enough of a Quenya vocabulary that one can really be fluent as you always have to rewrite the sentences if you're not speaking about the same subjects they did in the silmarillion basically. And also the grammar is rather complicated and I still need to think about what I'm saying and check my grammar when I do it, but I can do that rather well.
I used to have a class on it, but it fell to the ground a bit for two reasons. One I was too busy during the second term and the class was really difficult (as learning languages always are) and it was hard to keep active students.

Adoril Milner
No broom

Postby Adoril Milner » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:31 pm

That is really cool! I am trying to take the online course, but have only really finished the first three lessons. I find it to be a cool language, but it is hard. Where did you learn it?

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:23 pm

I learned it from Helmut W. Pesch's book Elbisch. It has both Quenya and Sindarin in it, but I only ever tried Quemya. Ravariel I believe learned Sindarin from the same books.

I find them really good and relatively easy to learn from. At least if you know German. Otherwise it's very difficult. They also made the basis for the class I made here on HOL of Quenya.
Last edited by Niniel Sanders on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ravariel Aiwince
No broom

Postby Ravariel Aiwince » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:15 am

I learned it from these books too, as far as you can say 'learned'. I'm happy if I know parts of it by heart... but as far as 'speaking' it is concerned I'm all with Niniel - there are certain restrictions in the vocabulary, and building sentences fluently and correctly would most likely demand a large amount of practise with native speakers, of which we're a bit short, unfortunately.

As it is, however, I love both languages and am happy for an exchange with anyone who's working with them as well.

Adoril Milner
No broom

Postby Adoril Milner » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:25 am

I found this site to be very good with Quenya. It has wordlists that are fairly considerable and offers a course. I do not know if that helps you guys out, but the wordlist there is fairly big.

http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:24 pm

First of all I'm sorry to say links are not allowed to places outside of HOL. The moderators simply can't keep up with checking every page that might be linked to, to check that it is appropriate.

That being said I do know this page very well. I do not like the course they have very much. It makes the explainations more complicated to understand than I believe it could be.
The wordlist is rather comprehensive. As is the one I have. But when you compare with dictionaries of any existing language they will usually have thousands of pages if they cover all words that language has. Several hundred if it's only the most common words. There are just not that many words in Quenya. So I should say my point still stands.

Adoril Milner
No broom

Postby Adoril Milner » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Sorry, I am not trying to argue. I agree that it is by no means a comprehensive word list. I was just wondering if you had more or less or what.

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:36 am

Oh no need to be sorry. I didn't take it as any kind of insult or anything. Sharing sources is great. And you did indeed find one of the two biggest on the net.

I just don't think it has the best teaching style :)

I'm always very glad to see people interested in Tolkien and the languages he created. There aren't many of us, especially not anymore.

Adoril Milner
No broom

Postby Adoril Milner » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:52 am

Yeah, I probably will not have a lot of time to work on it with RL in the way, but in the summer I am hoping to become more versed in it.

Violeta Lost
Oakshaft 79

Postby Violeta Lost » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:57 pm

There was a Class called "Quenya" here in HOL... I attended it some years ago, but I didn't have the time to get a Quill! I wonder what happened to that class...
-I need a new siggy!-

Never tickle a sleeping dragon!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Violeta Lost ~ vi803 ~ Sixth Year ~ Proud Hufflepuff

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:57 pm

Violeta Lost wrote:
QUOTE (Violeta Lost @ Aug 20 2010, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was a Class called "Quenya" here in HOL... I attended it some years ago, but I didn't have the time to get a Quill! I wonder what happened to that class...

The class was mine and it was discontinued both because I found I had little time to actually continue it as it was a demanding class to both write lessons for and correct homework for.
Also there was a problem with few participants as it was indeed incredibly demanding.
I might offer it again in the future, but it will be in a different manner if I do. Each lesson was simply too demanding both on the students and on me. It took far longer than a normal HOL class to complete and a month between each lesson was too long. Things would be forgotten in between and need to be re-read and that again makes it harder to do. So if I were to offer it again I'd first take a look at the lessons and part them into smaller segments and then probably make them bi-weekly rather than monthly.

Violeta Lost
Oakshaft 79

Postby Violeta Lost » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:39 pm

Niniel Sanders wrote:
QUOTE (Niniel Sanders @ Aug 20 2010, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The class was mine and it was discontinued both because I found I had little time to actually continue it as it was a demanding class to both write lessons for and correct homework for.
Also there was a problem with few participants as it was indeed incredibly demanding.
I might offer it again in the future, but it will be in a different manner if I do. Each lesson was simply too demanding both on the students and on me. It took far longer than a normal HOL class to complete and a month between each lesson was too long. Things would be forgotten in between and need to be re-read and that again makes it harder to do. So if I were to offer it again I'd first take a look at the lessons and part them into smaller segments and then probably make them bi-weekly rather than monthly.

Oh, yes I remember, the lessons were quite hard. But I liked them! It's nice to learn Elvish... but I didn't have enough time then (with real life and so on). If you ever start the class again, I'm your number 1 student! ;)
-I need a new siggy!-

Never tickle a sleeping dragon!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Violeta Lost ~ vi803 ~ Sixth Year ~ Proud Hufflepuff

Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Rachel Selenia » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:27 pm

I used to take the Quenya and Sindarin classes by Prof Rien Noraina (yes, that's ages ago!), and was sad that they disappeared. Ever since then I've thought about taking up my Quenya and Sindarin studies again (I still have loads of material, like from Ardalambion), and then start teaching a class here at HOL - I already have it partly planned. *lol* So we seem to become rivals, Niniel! :P
Rachel Selenia || pr_rch || Hufflepuff || Professor of Norse Myths and Legends
Head of HOL Tolkien Society || Wizarding Times Staff Member || HOL Book Club

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Rachel Selenia wrote:
QUOTE (Rachel Selenia @ Sep 21 2010, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So we seem to become rivals, Niniel! :P

I doubt it.
It would always have differences anyway. I would never do anything on Sindarin either, so there you have it completely to yourself for sure. Quenya.. might do something at one point, but there are other classes I'd probably sooner do than that.

If you want to talk though just write me a PM :)
Always happy to talk to tolkien interested people, and I remember talking to you when you were last 'active' around here :)

Elliya Bertrand
No broom

Postby Elliya Bertrand » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:40 am

I used to know some Sindarin and a very little bit of Quenya, but seeing as I really had nowhere to use it, I've forgotten most of it. I am still very good at writing the letters, though! I think we should definitely have some kind of Elvish club here where we can practice it with each other! That would make it both easier, and much more fun to learn it.

Ravariel Aiwince
No broom

Postby Ravariel Aiwince » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:22 pm

I'd be in ;)

Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Rachel Selenia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:30 pm

An Elvish club might not be possible, but go ahead and create a new topic about learning Elvish if you feel like it. :)
Rachel Selenia || pr_rch || Hufflepuff || Professor of Norse Myths and Legends
Head of HOL Tolkien Society || Wizarding Times Staff Member || HOL Book Club

Anais Loveless
No broom

Postby Anais Loveless » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:42 am

I would personally love to learn Elvish, along with all the other languages in the muggle and non-muggle world.
I just find it amazing that one person could invent such beautiful things... Same thing that J.K. Rowling did with Parseltongue.
I should stop now, I'm getting too enthusiastic!

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”