Did Anyone See The Animated Version Of Lotr

Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Marguerite Davenport
Oakshaft 79

Postby Marguerite Davenport » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:01 am

I'm sorry to anyone who liked it but I found it so funny. Like little things that were just so humorous. Like Gimli is taller then every one. Aruman is dressed in red. Now who is Aruman you ask. They decided to rename Saruman to Aruman for the movie; evidently they were concerned that moviegoers would confuse the name Saruman with Sauron. The chase scenes were shot in live action the drawn (badly in my opinion) on top of. Aragorn is supposed to be wearing a tunic however it looks like he’s wearing no pants. To make matters worse the Nazgul aren’t scary in fact they are quite funny they groan and limp about like an escapee from a leper colony. And honestly I never finished watching it. I was laughing so hard that before they leave the counsel I had to turn it off. I do plan to finish it some day.
I did what to know what everyone else thought of the film if they saw it?
Proud Member of the Sneer Squad & President of the Order of the Blanket
Proud D. A. MEMBER
Fifth-Year Slytherin Pure Blood

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.

Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:03 pm

I quite like watching that version of the tale from time to time - gives me a good laugh, too. biggrin.gif Especially Aragorn the pantless, yay! cool.gif
I never did notice the change of name for Saruman, though. Weird. Have to make sure I listen to that next time I watch it, thanks for pointing that out, Marguerite!
Maybe life is like rain. Alive if you let it be; lousy and depressing if you don't.
Taken from 50% Chance of Lightning by Cristina Salat.

~ venefica vom Lehn ~ Staff-member of the HOLTolkienSociety ~ Hufflepuff Seventh Year ~

Nothing has [color=orange]ever felt so right and natural and true and good.[/color]
Taken from Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden.

Isabella Kettleburn
No broom

Postby Isabella Kettleburn » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:49 pm

I always crack up over Viking Boromir smile.gif
~*~Fourth Year~*~ Wand: 10" Sycamore, centaur tail hair core.~*~

Elyranna Reginhart
No broom

Postby Elyranna Reginhart » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:55 pm

There is also an animated version of The hobbit (1977) and one of The Return of the King (1980). They were both made by the Jules Bass and Arthur Rankin team. They were the ones who made The Last Unicorn wink.gif

I saw both of them a few years ago but I wasn't really impressed :/ The Hobbit has so much musical numbers that it becomes really annoying. I think they tried to bring to life a lot of the songs and poems from Tolkien books but it didn't worked for me sad.gif

The Return of The King, though, starts where Ralph Bakshi's LotR left us, somewhere near the end of The Two Towers if I remember correctly. But as much as it is fun to see the end of the trilogy that way, it could have been so much better; the animation is not of very good quality, sadly.

Maybe someday one (really) brave soul will try to do another version...

Blake Granger
Moontrimmer

Postby Blake Granger » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:21 am

I used to own that when I was about 10.

I have no idea what happened to it.

Julian Charlie
No broom

Postby Julian Charlie » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:28 am

Tolkien would have shot them if he'd known, how terrible they did his books.

Did you also notice Treebeard? They pretty much, had no idea of what to make him look like. So they took a picture of a carrot and turned if upside down and added legs to it. Horrible drawing of Treebeard. Did you also see the battle at Helms Deep? Very disappointing.
Sig N av by Meh (Julian @ The Palace)

Christina Birch
No broom

Postby Christina Birch » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:00 am

I'm cracking up just reading everyone's comments about this movie. I've seen it, and I thought it was hilarious. I'm a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings books and of the Peter Jackson movies, but this version was pretty bad. Doesn't mean that it wasn't entertaining, though. I think my favorite part is near the end when they're chasing after Merry and Pippin, and then Aragorn just randomly trips. It's like a blooper, except not.

Marguerite Davenport
Oakshaft 79

Postby Marguerite Davenport » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:24 am

Christina Birch wrote:
QUOTE (Christina Birch @ Sep 5 2009, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think my favorite part is near the end when they're chasing after Merry and Pippin, and then Aragorn just randomly trips. It's like a blooper, except not.

After hearing that I might just try to see the whole thing again just to see that...
Proud D. A. MEMBER

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.

Lindsey Hyde-Phoenix
No broom

Postby Lindsey Hyde-Phoenix » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:53 pm

Marguerite Davenport wrote:
QUOTE (Marguerite Davenport @ Oct 13 2007, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To make matters worse the Nazgul aren’t scary... they groan and limp about like an escapee from a leper colony.

Hahahaha that's the best sentence I've read all year! That pretty much sums it up! So funny!
Last edited by Lindsey Hyde-Phoenix on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gryfftoberfest '09 - are you ready!?

Marguerite Davenport
Oakshaft 79

Postby Marguerite Davenport » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:53 am

I actually bought a copy of it again because I lost mine in the move a crossed country (NY to OR). Now for the life of me I can't remember where I put it. *Pouts* and I needed a good laugh. *shakes head* Guess that means I have to buy another copy.
Proud D. A. MEMBER

Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Rachel Selenia » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:20 pm

I watched it ages and ages ago, now I don't remember any of it. I just remember that I thought it was terribly done! :P And that I just had to laugh about some things, because they were just too awful... *lol*
Hm, I might watch it some time soon again, just to get a good laugh. :D
Rachel Selenia || pr_rch || Hufflepuff || Professor of Norse Myths and Legends
Head of HOL Tolkien Society || Wizarding Times Staff Member || HOL Book Club

St.John Aloisius Sloots
No broom

Postby St.John Aloisius Sloots » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:07 pm

Suilaid, my friends:

At the time Bakshi's film was made the technique of painting over live action, called Rotoscope by the way, was to some extend avant-garde. It had been used occasionally by the Disney studios in the past but had fallen out of favor. Bakshi revived it in his film "Wizards," which has been considered a cult classic for years now. In retrospect Bakshi regretted using rotoscope to the extent that he did, but what was done, was done.

Though the film, seen through special-effects-hardened 21st century eyes, seems a bit half-baked, rough and comical in parts and truly it is--the two Tolkien Fan-films I mentioned in another thread far outstrip it in polish and presentation--it was literally the only show in town in 1978 save for Tolkien's then-five books. And while I can totally relate to some of the observations fielded in this thread, I think it a bit harsh to judge an animation done nearly 35 years ago by the standard of today's special effects savvy movie studios.

While I enjoy Jackson's vision, I was always worried that his films would come to dominate any conversation about LotRs and that Tolkien's literary work, the real jewel, would suffer, relegated to the shadows as too difficult to read in light of the special effects of the Jackson treatment and today's all too easy accessible, mindless and watered down fiction.

For example, it amazes me how many self-proclaimed die hard "Tolkien fans" have no idea who Tom Bambadil or Goldberry were; think Arwen is a main character and Glorfindal just a name; swear Elves fought at the Battle of Helm's Deep; see Faramir as sinister and weak; believe that Aragorn tried to refuse his heritage and purposely avoided taking up Narsil never realizing he fully embraced his birthright and had the Sword-That-Was-Broken forged anew as Anduril in Rivendell before the Fellowship of the Ring left that place; they are under the impression that he had the dead to fight for him on the fields of the Pelennor; and have no idea that upon returning home the hobbits took part in a major battle in the Shire and witnessed the death of Saruman. How tragic, how sad that the very beauty of the elves they so thoroughly desire to emulate is lost to them without having read in context the Lament of Galadriel, the Lay of Nimrodel or the Hymn of Earindil the Mariner, father of Elrond.

Anyway...for what it was at the time, I enjoyed the film...especially for the depiction of Gollum. At least the elves had feet and not tree roots like they did in the animated version of The Hobbit that aired on T.V. in 1977. And yes, Boromir looked like a cross between a Hollywood Viking and He-Man, but at least he died bravely...and accurately. As for Aragorn tripping—well, at least he didn’t break his toe like he did in Jackson’s film :-) Of course the real Strider would never have done either…LOL!

Your servant,

Estelle Lupa
No broom

Postby Estelle Lupa » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:49 am

I have to say these made me laugh too. Aragorn with no pants, tall Gimli, Aruman, and in The Return of the King Cartoon, the song "Where There's a Whip." It's so tacky and insane that it's addicting and now that I've thought about it I have to go listen to it. XD

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”