Favorite Non-lotr Character?

Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Karalin McKay
No broom

Postby Karalin McKay » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:28 am

I'm Karalin McKay, a first year HOL Slytherin and a Tolkien addict. I was looking at the pinned topic for favorite LotR character, and I started thinking about other Middle-Earth characters. So now I'm curious who everyone likes outside of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I suppose there should be something about allowing characters who are mentioned in Lord of the Rings but aren't directly involved in that story. Luthien, for example. She's mentioned, but she never goes riding by the Fellowship or anything. I'll start.

I adore Idril Celebrindal, Turgon's daughter and the heir of Gondolin in The Silmarillion. She comes across as a very cool, collected character (even for an Elf). She becomes suspicious of Maeglin right away. She prepares a secret way out of Gondolin with very few people finding out, and I don't imagine that would be easy. And, of course, she and Tuor lead their people out to the Vale of Sirion when Morgoth attacked Gondolin. She never goes into a massive panic that her kingdom is going to be destroyed (at least not "on-screen"), just goes ahead and makes plans that will hopefully save as many lives as possible. She sails to the West with Tuor despite most likely knowing they might not make it to Valinor because of the curse on the Noldor.

That was a lot longer than I meant it to be! Suffice it to say, I really like Idril.

~Karalin
Last edited by Karalin McKay on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wand: 9 inches from a pine tree, with a bobcat whisker core.

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:58 am

Uhhh, once again a tough question. I found it hard to decide which LotR character I liked best and this is very hard too.
I suppose I like Maedhros. That's because I admire him. He never gave up, but always fought on. He survived hanging there for so many years and when he was finally freed in the cruelest way thinkable he still survived and healed. I also really like the fact that he gave up the crown, I think that shows more valour than if he had not given it up and deemed himself fit to be king. I think it's correct what is said in the Narnia books somewhere: "If you feel you're ready to be king, then it proves that you're not."
I also adore Fingon because he risked everything for a friendship that he couldn't even be sure was still returned and still he risked his life to save his friend. That is something worthy of praise, so I like him a lot.
And there are a lot of others that I love, but these were two that came to my mind, I would probably list half the characters from the Silmaril if I were to list everyone I liked outside of LotR.

Ronja Liek
Moontrimmer

Postby Ronja Liek » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:17 pm

Strange enough, I always like Eöl. Yes, Eöl, you heard corectly, the dark elf that tried to kill his son..
But just think of it.. basicly he is just misunderstood:

He was a member of the royal house of Doriath, but when the girdle of Melian was placed around it, I suppose he felt trapped, so he went to live outside of it. Just like that.. he didn;t blame anyone or anything.. he just thought.. well this isn;t nice.. I don;t want this, and so he left.

Then after some time living in the dark he fell in love. With Aredhel. And though it is said sometimes that he used enchantments.. I think Tolkien wrote that he used a song.. and she fell of it..
they were happi for a time.. had a son... it was nowhere said he treated him badly or anything.. just that he had one.

Then, after growing up, he went to a party with dwarves ( see, he is not even prejusdiced) and when he returns.. *poof* wife and son gone. Of course he would chase them.. he would feel he deserved an explanation at least...

he traced them back all the way to Gondolin... and there he was captured, and even as he said he was Aredhel's husband.. he was not treated very nicely I think.. And tehn tehy told him to stay in the city for ever or they would kill him.
Hello!!!
He didn't even like the *grindle of Melian*
Is he really the type you'd want to lock in a city *forever*??

Of course he would snap!
Of course he would hate the son that stole first his love, and then his beloved freedom...

And tehn he ended up killing his wife.

Poor him really.
He is such a tragic character.

Well.. maybe I don't really like him.
But I feel for him..
My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.

Corisa Bennet
No broom

Postby Corisa Bennet » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:16 am

Luthien is one of my favourite characters. She's so good hearted and brave smile.gif
I also love Ulmo, because I love the oceans and seas, anything to do with water.
The Maeglin tongue.gif

Sig made by Jasmin at the Sig 'n' Av Palace
PM me for info.

Julian Charlie
No broom

Postby Julian Charlie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:05 pm

Morgoth actually got my attention, more than anything in the first age. Come on, he was Sauron's master and the creator of the Balrogs. I find it funny how defeating one Balrog was a big thing in LOTR's but in the similarion there's an entire army with them at the helm. Oh and loved reading about how he was captured, because he was everything evil and I love how he was sent through a vortex or whatever for all eternity until the gods(Valar) neglected there watchings in which, he could return and destroy Middle Earth and all existance.
Sig N av by Meh (Julian @ The Palace)

Nerissa Allison
No broom

Postby Nerissa Allison » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:14 pm

It's so hard to pick, but... Luthien is definitely at the top of the list. She's too beautiful and brave to not like. She's very loyal to Beren. I almost wish Beren had been an immortal elf so that she wouldn't have had to lose her immortality, but that makes the story all the more poignant and touching. I'm looking for the book The Lays of Beleriand which has "The Lay of Leithian" in it so I can read the whole thing. When Aragorn recited it in The Fellowship of the Ring, I wanted to hear more. I read that Luthien was inspired by Tolkien's wife Edith.

I also love Nienor Niniel, Turin's sister. Her story is so sorrowful that one can't help liking her. It was so sad when she married her brother, as were all her other adventures. I like her brother Turin, too, for his sad story. Mortals always seem to have it rough in The Silmarillion, don't they?

So, I guess Luthien and Nienor are tied.
Last edited by Nerissa Allison on Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hooray for Broadway!

Selene Blackwell
No broom

Re: Favorite Non-lotr Character?

Postby Selene Blackwell » Wed May 18, 2016 12:20 am

Hello my name is Selene Blackwell and I am a Tolkien Addict. There is no recovery, nor would I ever seek for one!

My favorite non-LORT character is actually Nienna, the Valar who spends her time in the Halls of Mandos and the Halls of Nienna. I don't like her because she is known for grief. She is my favorite because she sees that grief, understands it, and yet is known for wisdom, patience, and hope! Olorin (Gandalf) spent many of his younger days learning from Mandos and Nienna. I think that is why he was able to understand the human condition so well and bonded with mortals more than any other of the five Maiar.

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”