The Hobbit - Movie

Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Elnariel Lasvereth
Oakshaft 79

Postby Elnariel Lasvereth » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:47 am

Hey folks!

Ever since I heard that they are definitely planning the Hobbit-Movie I've been thinking about it and the possibilities. Now I'm interested: what are your opinions about it? Are you happy? Anxious?

I, for one, am a bit nervous. Don't get me wrong, it's great that they are planning the movie but I'm a tiny bit afraid for Thranduil ^^. I can't help it, I really like that guy and I fear they might portrait him - ahm, oddly. Other than that I'm absolutely looking forward to seeing the movie!

And I hope PJ will be doing it. He would be willing to do it, but the last thing I read was that MGM hasn't, although having said that they hope PJ would agree to doing it, asked him yet...

Here's the interview with PJ about the Hobbit: *eats link*

So, what do you think?
Last edited by Elnariel Lasvereth on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I write so I shan't fade away. In every writing, I leave a piece of me, a memory, an ideal, a feeling, something. I write as I live, spontaneously, chaotically. I write so I will remember one day and realize I wasn't dreaming. I write, because I'm still alive." -unknown

Lenore Spiaggi
No broom

Postby Lenore Spiaggi » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:47 pm

I already know I'm going to see that movie, whenever it comes out, even if it is total nonsense.

That said, I do hope Peter Jackson will do it. It just won't feel right without him, and Ian McKellen, and Andy Serkis, and Hugo Weaving. I understand someone else will have to play Bilbo, though; Ian Holm won't cut it as a barely-middle-aged hobbit. I'm not worried so much about Thranduil as about Beorn... THAT could be an iffy portrayal! And I do hope Smaug doesn't speak with Sean Connery's voice...
"They say you are a witch." "They lie; I am a cunning woman."

Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:28 pm

Nari, where did you get that, that they are now definetely making it? All I heard was that PJ said he would like to (but only if he got to chose the actors, cos he said he couldn't picture anybody else than Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf - right he is!), but that nobody had approached him yet. And that the company (was that NewLine? MGM? No idea, sorry...) had The Hobbit scheduled on their list of films for the next years. But nothing more specific than that...

Yes, I agree, Lenore - Beorn could probably be one of the hardest bits. Cos he, like Tom Bombadil or Ghân-Buri-Ghân, isn't really comparable to humans, he is something that is hard for me to grasp - much more in touch with nature and everything.
Maybe life is like rain. Alive if you let it be; lousy and depressing if you don't.
Taken from 50% Chance of Lightning by Cristina Salat.

~ venefica vom Lehn ~ Staff-member of the HOLTolkienSociety ~ Hufflepuff Seventh Year ~

Nothing has [color=orange]ever felt so right and natural and true and good.[/color]
Taken from Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden.

Elnariel Lasvereth
Oakshaft 79

Postby Elnariel Lasvereth » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:38 pm

I got it from a german LotR site.

If you want the link just PM me. The article is in german but at the bottom there are some links with resources, some of which are alo in english.

And you're right, of course, when you say that Beorn will be hard to do. I do hope that PJ will make this movie. For after the great job he did with LotR he has earned my respect and my trust to be able to make this movie.
Last edited by Elnariel Lasvereth on Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I write so I shan't fade away. In every writing, I leave a piece of me, a memory, an ideal, a feeling, something. I write as I live, spontaneously, chaotically. I write so I will remember one day and realize I wasn't dreaming. I write, because I'm still alive." -unknown

Lenore Spiaggi
No broom

Postby Lenore Spiaggi » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:55 pm

From MSN Movie News:

WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- Peter Jackson says he will not be directing a movie based on J.R.R. Tolkien's novel "The Hobbit" or a planned prequel to "The Lord of the Rings."

In a letter posted on Theonering.com., Jackson and partner Fran Walsh said an executive from New Line Cinema had called to tell them the studio was moving ahead with "The Hobbit" without him.

"Last week, Mark Ordesky called Ken (Kamins, Jackson's manager) and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on `The Hobbit' and the LOTR `prequel,'" the 45-year-old New Zealand director wrote.

"This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects," he said.

On one hand, BOOO-HOOOOO!! On the other hand - a prequel that's not The Hobbit? Am I alone in thinking they're about to eviscerate the story?
Last edited by Lenore Spiaggi on Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"They say you are a witch." "They lie; I am a cunning woman."

Prof. Ruben Orion
Moontrimmer

Postby Prof. Ruben Orion » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:44 pm

WHAT?!

I mean... I mean... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*calms down*

They're moving on without him? But that will make it seem so different from the other movies! I'm happy that they're actually doing The Hobbit but without him?

And, yes, Lenore, that scared me too. A LOTR prequel that is not The Hobbit. I fear there is a really bad adaptation of The Silmarillion coming our way.

Elnariel Lasvereth
Oakshaft 79

Postby Elnariel Lasvereth » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:44 pm

Definitely scary...I mean, the Silm is nice and all, but not really fit for a movie...and what else could they do? Some sort of movie-'fanfiction'? At any rate, I'm anxious to know what they have in store for us...

And it's also very sad that PJ won't be doing the Hobbit...I'm sure it would have been awesome! That's not to say that some other director could not do it just as good, but with PJ the fans already know what they can expect...sorta ^^

Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Rorey Padfoot » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:13 pm

I was really disappointed New Line, decided to go ahead without Jackson. I think they look at the money his movies usually cost, and the length of time he usually takes. But what they aren't seeing is that IT'S ALL WORTH IT. I don't know about anyone else, but you can tell the difference between his movies and anyone elses. I hope New Line knows what they are doing.
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~pr_pad~*~Hufflepuff Co-HoH~

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:34 pm

I would like to know what they have in mind for the prequel of the Lord of the Rings. The story of Luthien and Beren could make a decent movie and Turin might be possible too, and maybe even the feanorian's story witht he silmarils, but that would make three different movies and I think it would fit better as a tv show with several smaller episodes.. but what do I know..

Sad to see PJ is not making the Hobbit too.. He is definately the man who can pull it off right...

Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:03 am

From what I last read and heard, there might be a chance that negotiations with PJ are beginning again? I really hope so, because I doubt anyone else will be able to give the fans what they now expect from such a project.

And what I heard about the prequel-thing, it sounded to me as if it should take place between The Hobbit and LotR. That way it couldn't be any of the Silmarillion-stuff, could it? I don't honestly know what it should be then, but I really hope they don't decide to force something from the Silmarillion into a film made just for money.

Oh, and another rumour I heard... Elijah Wood wanting to play Bilbo Baggins? Anyone else heard that, too?
Maybe life is like rain. Alive if you let it be; lousy and depressing if you don't.

~ venefica vom Lehn ~ Staff-member of the HOLTolkienSociety ~ Hufflepuff Seventh Year ~

Nothing has [color=orange]ever felt so right and natural and true and good.[/color]

John Lines
No broom

Postby John Lines » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:09 pm

Perhaps the prequel would be centered around the events that happened directly before the dawn of the third age, which would be the first war between the exiled numenoreans and sauron or maybe even including the downfall of numenor in it! That would be quite the movie. Though, I'd love to see a movie of Turin or the many battles that took place between the noldor and morgoth, because my favorite character is in the Silmarillion (Glaurung).

Ravariel Aiwince
No broom

Postby Ravariel Aiwince » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:04 am

Anyone heard anything about what's going on concerning the Hobbit lately? Because I haven't, and I'm really anxious as to what becomes of this. (Hope they didn't drop the project after all ohmy.gif )

As for the actors, it would be more than weird to see anyone else play the roles of the people we alerady know (Gandalf, Bilbo, Elrnd etc.) than those who played them in the trilogy. As for Bilbo, in the first movie too there was a scene with him at the time of the Hobbit, and he didn't look too much out of the right age there; I'd say.

blink.gif to the prequel that's not the Hobbit. I'd really like to know what they have in mind there. I would like to see some things from the Silmarillion indeed, but that's not really do-able, is it? Well, Beren and Lúthien could make a nice movie, as Nin said... I'd love to see something about the sons of Feanor and the Silmarilli, but to make a movie (or even two or three) of it, you'd have to cut out a *lot* of the not-too-important things, which would leave many many loose ends to tie up.

But as long as they're not completely making something up...
Am I out of date, anyway? I haven't heard from all this in a while.

Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 pm

Last thing I heard was that they are planning to release the movie in 2008 (or was it 2009?), despite not having any director yet. But apart from that, no other news, as far as I've heard.

Allison Riddle
No broom

Postby Allison Riddle » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:25 am

I'm excited to see the movie whenever it comes out, but it will be strange, because I first read the book when I was about 8, and I've had ideas so long about what everything should look like.

Tara Aurelium
Oakshaft 79

Postby Tara Aurelium » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:31 pm

Whoa, they're doing a Hobbit movie? What? when? I always find out about things later than everyone D:

I really loved that book. It was one of the first fantasy books I ever read, and I enjoyed it. I hope the movie will be as good as the book. (:
5th year | RQT co-captain | the botmaster

Nocturna Grenemearh
No broom

Postby Nocturna Grenemearh » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:55 pm

Well, they're trying to do a Hobbit movie, but New Line is making a mess of things. Peter Jackson sued the company because they didn't pay him his full share (something that apparently happens quite a bit with New Line), so New Line came out and said Jackson won't be directing the Hobbit. As of June, that's still the state of things, but it's looking more and more like New Line will be changing it's mind and asking Jackson to direct for the Hobbit if for no other reason then the incredible backlash there'd be from fans everywhere were someone else to direct the movie.
11" Willow and Oak with Granian Hair and Hippocampus Hair core

Phlox Flammula
No broom

Postby Phlox Flammula » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:51 am

I, well, herm.... if they do this movie then it better be good. I mean, if they mess it up at all I promise you that I will never watch any of those movies ever again. I mean, the trilogy was one thing, but the Hobbit? Really, it's the kind of tale that you just can't mess up. I mean, what if they ruin Bilbo's personality? That was the best part of the story! By the way, does anybody know who's writing the screenplay?

Hermione Smith
No broom

Postby Hermione Smith » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:37 am

sorry, no idea who's writing it, though hopefully they'll follow the way jackson did lotr's and stay close to the book. i also hope that they keep bilbo's character the same, but i imagine they would.
Harry potter rocks!

Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:05 pm

As far as I know, there are no real decisions about who is doing what on the movie, but these days there have been more hints to Peter Jackson as director again. Or at least that very many people would love to have him, for example Sir Ian McKellen.
I think if PJ got to be director and we got Ian McKellen as Gandalf again, the film couldn't become too bad, could it? wink.gif

Oh, and I also just read about Cate Blanchet being interested in playing Galadriel again. Apparently there are plans about making two films out of it and even including the White Council, in which Galadriel also is. That would probably be interesting.
But I have to admit that I don't particularly like the rumoured possibility of Bilbo meeting Arwen in Rivendell or Legolas in Mirkwood just so that those actors can have a sort of cameo again. *hm*

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:17 pm

Venefica vom Lehn wrote:
QUOTE (Venefica vom Lehn @ Sep 24 2007, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as I know, there are no real decisions about who is doing what on the movie, but these days there have been more hints to Peter Jackson as director again. Or at least that very many people would love to have him, for example Sir Ian McKellen.
I think if PJ got to be director and we got Ian McKellen as Gandalf again, the film couldn't become too bad, could it? wink.gif

Oh, and I also just read about Cate Blanchet being interested in playing Galadriel again. Apparently there are plans about making two films out of it and even including the White Council, in which Galadriel also is. That would probably be interesting.
But I have to admit that I don't particularly like the rumoured possibility of Bilbo meeting Arwen in Rivendell or Legolas in Mirkwood just so that those actors can have a sort of cameo again. *hm*

There is such a richness of material in The Hobbit -- if they stayed true to the entire story, and dialogue, there wouldn't be the need to 'make things out of whole cloth' and invent other stuff.

As for cameos -- if the folks are IN the story, then sure add them into a movie -- but if it is something to just have a cameo, I don't like that idea at all. No.

There would be Elrond again; they could use him if he was available. Heh, they could use the same persons for Lobelia? Who else is in The Lord of the Rings and in The Hobbit?

Having immersed myself in the extended LoTR DVDs for the past week or so, I'm very interested in seeing Peter Jackson directing The Hobbit! I don't think anyone could do as good a job as him and the Weta folks.

Oh, yes, I like this idea! biggrin.gif
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent.
Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”