The Hobbit - Movie

Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:12 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Legolas in Mirkwood, not having any lines or anything, but being present when the kind is there for instance, just sitting next to his father when the dwarfs are brought in. It would not be unlikely that he was there and it would not be unlikely that he was not mentioned in the book since he's not the highest ranking and isn't speaking. Or even let Orlando play Thranduil. With the makup they did to make Bilbo look older I'm sure they could do something of the same sort with Orlando to make him look like Thranduil instead of Legolas.

Tyra Hope
No broom

Postby Tyra Hope » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:39 pm

I'm watching it. Cause I'm obessed with LOTR. :lol:

Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Rachel Selenia » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:13 am

So, it looks like it's finally been decided that "The Hobbit" will indeed stay in New Zealand, and that Peter Jackson will be the director. Personally I'm very happy about this, as New Zealand *is* Middle-earth to me. I couldn't imagine "The Hobbit" being filmed anywhere else in the whole world!
What about you? :)
Rachel Selenia || pr_rch || Hufflepuff || Professor of Norse Myths and Legends
Head of HOL Tolkien Society || Wizarding Times Staff Member || HOL Book Club

Ilona Littrell
Oakshaft 79

Postby Ilona Littrell » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:42 am

I'm I the only one really excited about Martin Freeman is playing Bilbo? XD
He's PERFECT! <3333
I LOVED him in hitchhikers guide to the galaxy! He's so funny!

I'm really glad the it seems to be happening though, for a while I thought the movies might never be made.
And to be honest, I'm happy that Peter Jackson is back to directing.
Can't wait to see them!
Would amazing if they put Legolas in there, but I don't think that's very likely :(
Last edited by Ilona Littrell on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-»----(¯`v´¯)----»
[color= gray]^Sig & Av made by me.
Feel free to PM me if you want one, or come to the Gryfftastic Graphics Club in the Gryff CR! ;)[/color]
|[color=Blue]Sixth Year|Lady Marauder|Gryfftastic Graphics Club|Captain of the Black PINK Pearl|[/color]

Estelle Lupa
No broom

Postby Estelle Lupa » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:50 am

I'm glad they're finally getting to work again! I'm also so glad Ian McKellen will be reprising his role as Gandalf! Honestly, without him it wouldn't be the same.

Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Rachel Selenia » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:37 pm

I agree, Ian McKellen pretty much IS Gandalf (to me at least) after he played the part in LotR. I think he was brilliant! And also Andy Serkis as Gollum, that also made me very happy.

Oh, and did you hear that Mikael Persbrandt will play Beorn? He's Swedish! :D *yay for Swedish actors in international movies* ( Yes, I'm from Sweden. ;) )

Ilona Littrell
Oakshaft 79

Postby Ilona Littrell » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:22 pm

Apparently both Elijah Wood, Cate Blanchett and Oralndo Bloom will appear shortly in the Hobbit as well as their old characters =)

I know they're not in the book, but I'm still happy about it ^^
-»----(¯`v´¯)----»
Feel free to PM me if you want one, or come to the Gryfftastic Graphics Club in the Gryff CR! ;)[/color]
|[color=Blue]Sixth Year|Lady Marauder|Gryfftastic Graphics Club|Captain of the Black PINK Pearl|[/color]

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:14 pm

I'm REALLY glad they have Gandalf, er, I mean Ian McKellan -- as Gandalf! :D

Legolas? Sure, a little more of Orlando Bloom is fine. Galadriel? Kate Blanchett is absolutely awesome. Great!

Andy Serkis as Gollum? Whooot!

From the photos of the 'new' persons that I've seen on the internet -- Bilbo and Beorn are excellently cast!

As for Frodo showing up? Sheesh. No way.

Sure, maybe Legolas is seen in the background with the other Wood Elves, or Galadriel is visiting with Elrond in the Last Friendly House.

But Frodo was only 33 years old when Bilbo was 111. He wasn't even born when Bilbo went off on his Journey there and back again! Double sheesh!
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Ilona Littrell
Oakshaft 79

Postby Ilona Littrell » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:34 pm

I read in an interview with EW that the way they've written Frodo into the film is not clashing with the story in any major way, I'm guessing perhaps it's a flash forward kinda thing? I know it's weird for them to include him, but I have all faith in PJ. The changes they made the the LOTRs movies made perfect sense to me, and made the films that much better than I expected. I'm prepared for the same thing with the Hobbit and even though all these characters don't actually appear in the book, I'm sure they're gonna write it a way that makes sense and doesn't stray too far from the story.

And also Christopher Lee is to appear as well according to the website.

Can't wait for this movie to come out ^^
I'm sure it's gonna be amazing!
-»----(¯`v´¯)----»

Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Rachel Selenia » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:11 am

It has finally begun! The shooting of The Hobbit has started (well, it started on March 21), and for all LotR fans there is a special treat! I won't post any links (of course), but if you're on Facebook, be sure to "like" Peter Jackson's page! Today he uploaded the first video from the film shooting, guiding the viewer through parts of the backstage area, parts of the set - and there's actually a few short scenes from the actual shooting!
I have to admit, I got all teary-eyed when I watched it... :P
Last edited by Prof. Rachel Selenia on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

Postby Prof. Cosmo B. Mott » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:26 am

Oh, man, watching that production diary... I was grinning more and more as it progressed. It was SO GREAT to see those people again and to add new, awesome faces to the mix. I'm very much looking forward to the new movie(s), and I haven't even read the books!

(Though, I may have a way to get myself to start reading them, in a few months time. We'll have to see.)

*waves at the HOLTSers*
"...they didn't think there was anything very odd in anyone being a little odd."
-James Hilton's Random Harvest

Eia Donne
No broom

Postby Eia Donne » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:28 am

*rounds around in delighted fangirly circles* I cannot remember if I'm allowed to post links in these forums but if someone tells me otherwise I will edit the link into my post if you cannot find it yourself but....

FIRST TRAILER OUT!!!!!!

Freeman!Bilbo might convert me to a hobbit lover very easily ">>

Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Rachel Selenia » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:10 pm

No, sorry, links are not allowed. But the trailer is easy to find, it's on the official website for the "The Hobbit" movie. :)

And yaaay for the trailer!!! It looks great, and I can't wait until December next year!! Gonna love the movie, I'm sure! :D

Prof. Zoki Phantom
Shooting Star

Postby Prof. Zoki Phantom » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:12 am

I must say, that trailer really did look fantastic! Not sure if I consider that a good thing or a bad thing though, since as much as I want seeing bits of what's probably gonna be one of the best 2012 movies, I hate craving for it this early. It doesn't come out in a year! :ph34r:

Eia Donne
No broom

Postby Eia Donne » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:40 pm

@Rachel-Thankies! Figured it was safer to not post than edit it in later than post and get in trouble ^^;;

I wish I could post my best friends reactions to the trailer. It was pretty much a good half hour conversation of normal stuff between the two of us, but every other comment from her being SINGING!!!!

Kiri Galdor
No broom

Postby Kiri Galdor » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:36 am

So just thought I'd add in my 2 knuts worth about the upcoming films.
Firstly the trailer ... I think it looks like it is going to be an epic film. The dwarves were not exactly what I was expecting but I think that they maybe look better than I imagined. I loved the 'washing dishes' scene and Gollum talking at the end of the trailer really did give me excited goosebumps!
I am curious though about the Galadriel/ Gandalf scene. Did I miss something in the book or has she just 'appeared' in the film? It will be interesting to see how Peter Jackson incorporates Galadriel into the film.

(Just as a point of interest for all us LoTR fans - extra casting for The Hobbit had to be abandoned last weekend as the queue in Wellington was so long it caused traffic disruption! And no, sadly I didn't apply as I don't fit the height requirements and I live too far away from filming)

Made by the fabulous Annie

Bring me fun, bring me sunshine, bring me love....

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity -- Dorothy Parker

Ceri McHawk
No broom

Postby Ceri McHawk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi HOLTSers!
(yes looong since I last showed my nose around, years but you'll have to deal with me again...)

I guess everyone of us is really excited about the movie, so as the trailer mostly because The Hobbit is a fond story for us! In my case I met Tolkien with it being the book my dad borrowed me to introduce myself in thsi magical land of this Lord of the Writings :)

I am not still so comfortable with seeing Frodo there, as far as I read around the offical pages (and if I did not misunderstood) it is an introduction for linking this movie and book with the previous Jackson's ones about LOTR, in that case it may not be so "annoying", but I guess Frodo will not be the only character who jumps in from LOTR films / books who does not play a part in The Hobbit book!

Now... 2 films for The Hobbit is like... I want 3 more for LOTR and why not another 2 or 3 for The Silmarillion!!! If it is for asking... ANyway I love the idea of 2 films so we may have the chance of see more of the story and we miss less characters that otherway will be surely left aside (as happened with LOTR)

Well my little knut into the talk :)

Anya Adanwen
No broom

Postby Anya Adanwen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:25 pm

So what do you all think about the Hobbit being split into 3 movies?

On one hand, I think it's excessive.

On the other hand, I'm not going to complain. I will happily go see all three.

“What do we say to the Lord of Death?"
"Not today.â€￾

Prof. Zoki Phantom
Shooting Star

Postby Prof. Zoki Phantom » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:52 pm

I was more than glad when I first heard of the rumors about the Hobbit being split into 3 movies. I mean, many stories nowadays are split into two movies, and usually just for profit purposes, but having seen the work that Peter Jackson has produced, you won't catch me saying no to having 3 Hobbit movies.

The bigger the story, the more the details, the better the journey. I'm happy part 3 was officially announced! :)

Kiri Galdor
No broom

Postby Kiri Galdor » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:10 am

Well, the long anticipated (at least by me) first installment is finally here and I went to watch it this afternoon.

WOW, just ..... WOW!!! That is all at the moment.

I'm going to watch it again and hopefully I'll be able to add to this post :)

Made by the fabulous Annie

Bring me fun, bring me sunshine, bring me love....

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity -- Dorothy Parker

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”