Guess The Quote - The Books

Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:30 pm

Thanks to the wonderful Tarma, I hereby declare this game to be opened! biggrin.gif

Okay, most of you probably still know the rules from the film-quotes-game, but I'll post them again anyway.

The game will be based on quotes from "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. However, this time we are sticking to the books! Please no quotes from the films! (Unless of course these film-quotes were taken from the books, because then they do come from the books ultimately.)
We will stick to LotR at first, using Tolkien's other works would be too confusing for the beginning, I think. We might consider using the Silmarillion and The Hobbit at some later point, but please do refrain from these sources for the moment. wink.gif

So this is how it is played:

The first person to go picks a quote, any quote from the referred sources. No more than 2-3 sentences.
You just have to guess who said that, where and to whom!

Please note: You should only post your answer if it hasn't been posted before. If your opinion is different from the ones that were already posted, then
you can go ahead and post your answer! This is about being quick too!

If nobody seems to know the answer, you can also go ahead and give hints, or maybe even from the beginning - things like (as Tarma has already done) saying which book it was from.

IMPORTANT: If two days have passed and no one has guessed who said that quote, you should post the answer and another quote.

I'm not too sure about the Silmarils at the moment, but there might be some in this for our HOLTSOMs (even though we can't really control at the moment who is a HOLTSOM and who isn't) - so get going! wink.gif (But I know I don't really have to tell you this. *grins*)

vene - for the HOLTSstaff.
Last edited by Venefica vom Lehn on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe life is like rain. Alive if you let it be; lousy and depressing if you don't.
Taken from 50% Chance of Lightning by Cristina Salat.

~ venefica vom Lehn ~ Staff-member of the HOLTolkienSociety ~ Hufflepuff Seventh Year ~

Nothing has [color=orange]ever felt so right and natural and true and good.[/color]
Taken from Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:21 pm

Okay! If there are enough folks interested that we can have fun and it flows along, that is fine with me. It'd be nice to get Silmarils, but it is even more nice to have fun. *g* (And yes, as was mentioned elsewhere, we'll include enough that it is identifiable, from context, of just who 'might' have said it, so that it is easily found.)

And.... I'll start, with an easy one and a hint --

"A very nice well-spoken gentlehobbit is Mr. Bilbo, as I've always said,.."

The Fellowship of the Ring
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:25 pm

Does the Gaffer say that? *scratches her head*
Maybe life is like rain. Alive if you let it be; lousy and depressing if you don't.

~ venefica vom Lehn ~ Staff-member of the HOLTolkienSociety ~ Hufflepuff Seventh Year ~

Nothing has [color=orange]ever felt so right and natural and true and good.[/color]

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:29 pm

Yes, good one, Vene!

(...and I won't be sticky (on this first one) and ask to whom was it said, or where) laugh.gif

No one had a more attentive audience than old Ham Gamgee, commonly known as the Gaffer.  He held forth at The Ivy Bush, a small inn on the Bywater road; and he spoke with some authority , for he had tended the garden at Bag End for forty years, and had helped old Holman in the same job before that.  Now that he was himself growing old and stiff in the joints, the job was mainly carried on by his youngest son, Sam Gamee.  Both father and son were on very friendly terms with Bilbo and Frodo.  They lived on the Hill itself, in Number 3 Bagshot Row just below Bag End. 
  'A very nice well-spoken gentlehobbit is Mr. Bilbo, as I've always said,' the Gaffer declared. [/quote]

Your turn. smile.gif
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:44 pm

Oi, I was so happy that I knew it, I forgot to post all that information... Cos I remembered it to be there in that scene. *nods*

Okay, on to a quote of mine...

"Let this be the hour when we draw swords together."

(Remember that it's not the films we're talking about... *hinthint* wink.gif )

Padmé Undómiel
Oakshaft 79
Location: Ravenclaw! "Eagle pride is hard to hide" Very true:)

Postby Padmé Undómiel » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 pm

"Let this be the hour when we draw swords together."

Aragorn to Éomer, before the battle at Helm's Deep.

Thanks to the amazing Alisha at the Sig 'N Av Palace!

Wand: 8 1/2 inches, holly tree, leprechaun hair core

Eliza Ithil
Moontrimmer

Postby Eliza Ithil » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:23 am

Hmm, are you sure it's from Helm's Deep? Ok, you're probably right, but I'm guessing it's when Eomer meets Aragorn on Pelennor Fields, as Aragorn had foretold. At least, this is another moment when they draw swords together smile.gif

El
Thanks to Jacenta, owner of Sig N Av Palace, for this amazing signature and av!
Wand: 8 3/4 inches, willow, griffin tail feather
United States

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:41 am

I am having a difficulty, because I find this:

'Come!' said Aragorn. 'This is the hour when we draw swords together!' and he and Eomer are standing together on the Deeping Wall at Helm's Deep.

And I can't find anything in the battle at the end...

Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:20 am

*blushes* Probably should have looked up the exact wording... wink.gif
But Padmé's right. *nods*
(I, too, tend to think that it's at the battle at the Pelennor fields, but somehow it isn't... *shrugs* Very strange.)

Padmé Undómiel
Oakshaft 79

Postby Padmé Undómiel » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:46 pm

That is so funny! I knew it was Aragorn or Éomer who said it, but I was also convinced it was during the battle on Pelennor Fields before I looked it up. Why didn't Tolkien just place it there, and make it easier for everyone. wink.gif

Ok, here's the next quote:

"You rascals, you woolly-footed and wool-pated truants!"

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:02 pm

Padmé Undómiel wrote:"You rascals, you woolly-footed and wool-pated truants!"

Wasn't that Gimli to Merry and Pippin when the hunters found them eating and smoking?

Padmé Undómiel
Oakshaft 79

Postby Padmé Undómiel » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:19 pm

Yes, it was.

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:56 pm

"In such need a man that has no horse will go on foot, and he will not ask for leave to follow the trail. Nor will he count the heads of the enemy save with a sword. I am not weaponless."

Eliza Ithil
Moontrimmer

Postby Eliza Ithil » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:10 am

*Wracks her brain*

Is it Aragorn when he, Legolas, and Gimli are speaking with Eomer and the Rohirrim while tracking the Urukai? I love when Eomer names him "Wingfoot". "The need" is to reclaim Merry and Pippin, "he will not ask leave to follow the trail" refers to the fact they are trespassing through Rohan.

I won't consult the book, rather out of laziness and lack of time to do so.
Last edited by Eliza Ithil on Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
United States

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:06 pm

Eliza Ithil wrote:*Wracks her brain*

Is it Aragorn when he, Legolas, and Gimli are speaking with Eomer and the Rohirrim while tracking the Urukai?  I love when Eomer names him "Wingfoot".  "The need" is to reclaim Merry and Pippin, "he will not ask leave to follow the trail" refers to the fact they are trespassing through Rohan.

I won't consult the book, rather out of laziness and lack of time to do so.

True, your turn

Eliza Ithil
Moontrimmer

Postby Eliza Ithil » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:55 pm

Ok, I'm still not sure about the policy for this game. Can we use an excerpt from the story or only quotes by characters? I'll post a quote, so that I'm not wrong, but I have a section I'd like to use, which contains no quotes.

"In happy hour you have returned to us, Gandalf... Come, come! Since Gandalf's head is now sacred, let us find one that is right to cleave!"
United States

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:57 pm

Eliza Ithil wrote:Ok, I'm still not sure about the policy for this game.  Can we use an excerpt from the story or only quotes by characters?  I'll post a quote, so that I'm not wrong, but I have a section I'd like to use, which contains no quotes.

"In happy hour you have returned to us, Gandalf... Come, come!  Since Gandalf's head is now sacred, let us find one that is right to cleave!"

This is just a wild guess, but Gimli to the rest of the hunters when they discover that Gandalf is Gandalf and not Saruman.

Eliza Ithil
Moontrimmer

Postby Eliza Ithil » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:59 pm

Just tell me where.
United States

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:03 am

Eliza Ithil wrote:Just tell me where.

In Fangorn forest

Eliza Ithil
Moontrimmer

Postby Eliza Ithil » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:19 am

SWEET! Yep, your turn!
United States

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”