Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Darcia van Garret
No broom

Postby Darcia van Garret » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:41 am

I just started it and it is very cute so far happy.gif

Brenna Delaney
No broom

Postby Brenna Delaney » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:07 am

Ah, The Hobbit. I have such very fond memories of this book. When I was wee my brothers and I would gather in the living room and listen to Dad read a chapter to us every night before bed. We loved it so much, especially when he would use funny voices and sing the funny songs. Our favorite was the 'That's what Bilbo Baggins Hates' song. Well, I suppose it was more chanting then singing but it sounded good and dwarvish and we adored it. We had to be a good few years older before he would start reading Fellowship to us before bedtime, since he wanted the baby brother to be able to understand all the details too.

Clara Potter
No broom
Location: Gryffindor, winning and losing- winning more than losing

Postby Clara Potter » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:58 pm

I have read The Hobbit about two times, only. It is so good I practically consider it one of the LoTR books. Usually I say: I have read the four books of LoTR, even though there are only three. The Hobbit is one of my favorites, and once I heard thet they were going to make a movie of it (they still didn't, but anyway...) and I was practically with my tickets bought (in a way of speaking) before there were even preparations for it. The nice thing is that PJ will probably make it!:D
It was the book I understood most easily, and it took much less longer to read it than the trilogy, but they are all just as good.
Sincerely,
CP

Prof. Esmerelda Knotwise
Oakshaft 79

Postby Prof. Esmerelda Knotwise » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:13 am

Amethyst Dooley wrote:
QUOTE (Amethyst Dooley @ Jan 10 2006, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its "there and back again" nature makes it comfort reading for me, one of those books you might read late at night for the 20th time (if you're almost 30 tongue.gif ) if you've been stressed and just need a good tale to take your mind off of RL.

This is the way I feel also. I have read it so many times, but I never tire of it. Sometimes, I'll get bored and just grab it off the shelf and give it a quick read.

I mistakenly read The Hobbit in junior high school; I thought I was checking out The Borrowers but couldn't remember the name. When I saw that it had little people in it, I thought I must have the right book. Once I discovered my mistake, it was too late... I was hooked. LOTR naturally followed because I couldn't get enough of it.
..: ESMERELDA :..
Ancient Runes: Grave Markers Professor
Hufflepuff Extraordinaire

Ceri McHawk
No broom

Postby Ceri McHawk » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:06 pm

About The Hobbit film... (dreamy for manyof us whomade of it one of our childhood head books!) I've signed an on line petition asking for it (in an official LOTR site) so if anyone is interested, let me know so I can give you the link! wink.gif

Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:18 pm

Concerning the film... As far as I've heard, the project is being put on ice at the moment.
I, too, once signed the online petition. There was this discussion about the rights going on, because they were with two different people/companies (can't quite remember which ones), but now PJ hasn't talked about wanting to do it for ages. Even when asked about his next projects, he just mentioned loads of other films, but never again The Hobbit. Sadly! I'd really love to see him make the film. (And please please do it before Sir Ian McKellen feels too old to play Gandalf - I don't want any other Gandalf but him! cool.gif )
Maybe life is like rain. Alive if you let it be; lousy and depressing if you don't.
Taken from 50% Chance of Lightning by Cristina Salat.

~ venefica vom Lehn ~ Staff-member of the HOLTolkienSociety ~ Hufflepuff Seventh Year ~

Nothing has [color=orange]ever felt so right and natural and true and good.[/color]
Taken from Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden.

Ceri McHawk
No broom

Postby Ceri McHawk » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:08 pm

Venefica vom Lehn wrote:
QUOTE (Venefica vom Lehn @ Aug 15 2006, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(And please please do it before Sir Ian McKellen feels too old to play Gandalf - I don't want any other Gandalf but him! cool.gif )

100% agree with you! No matter how I love the books much better than the movies, there'sno way I can see another Gandalf... Although is we think in DUmbledore's case... huh.gif

Anyway same happens with Bilbo Baggins: Can you see anotherone but Ian Holms performing him?...

*sigh hope is the last that fades...

Lenore Spiaggi
No broom

Postby Lenore Spiaggi » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:05 pm

I only read The Hobbit recently... OK, to be perfectly honest, I just finished it today! It had been sitting in my to-read pile for almost a year (last October 25), and probably I wouldn't have started on it yet if it weren't for this forum! Yeah, I know, I got my priorities all mixed up in Tolkien, just like the rest of my life *sighs*

I couldn't help liking the story, although it is my least favourite of Tolkien's works (can't beat The Silmarillion). In my opinion, it's a smaller-scale version of LotR. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that I like BIG stories better. If I had read it 20 years ago, things would be much different, I'm sure.
"They say you are a witch." "They lie; I am a cunning woman."

Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:30 pm

Lenore, if you've just finished it, it's probably all still fresh in your mind - so why not come and join us in discussing it in our Tolkienfest-area? smile.gif
(By the way - really like your signature!)
Maybe life is like rain. Alive if you let it be; lousy and depressing if you don't.

~ venefica vom Lehn ~ Staff-member of the HOLTolkienSociety ~ Hufflepuff Seventh Year ~

Nothing has [color=orange]ever felt so right and natural and true and good.[/color]

Malacai Micheals
No broom

Postby Malacai Micheals » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:45 pm

I love the Hobbit and was lucky enough to find a hard back copy of it complete with slip case. it is a beautiful book even has the name of the book written around the cover with golden runes. I think it dates back to like 1964.
Malacai Micheals
First Year Gryffindor

Sandy Forks
No broom

Postby Sandy Forks » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:30 pm

Ah, The Hobbit. I became a LOTR fan after seeing the first two movies, honestly, and The Hobbit was the only Tolkien book we had in my house at the time. Desperate to see what Tolkien's writing was like after I was entranced by the movies, I read it. It took me awhile to get through (I found the parts about Mirkwood especially dense, for some reason), but I really, really liked it, anyway. I haven't read it since early 2003, and I'm thinking I should give it another go to see how much more subtext I pick up on. I can't help but love that book, since it was my first experience with Tolkien. It'll always hold a special place in my heart!
Sandy

"If I could reach the stars, I’d pull one down for you and
shine it on my heart so you could see the truth -- that this
love I have inside is everything, it seems." -- Eric Clapton

Skylar Aiston
No broom

Postby Skylar Aiston » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:16 pm

The hobbit is one of my favorite books. I tried getting into the LotR books, but they just didn't catch me like the Hobbit did. Or the movies for that matter, haha.

Phlox Flammula
No broom

Postby Phlox Flammula » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:44 am

I love love LOVE the Hobbit! I think that my favorite thing about it was simply Bilbo's practical personality towards the treasure. He didn't even really want to take any of it home. I mean, he gave away the Arkenstone for crying out loud! But really I just love tolkien's style. It makes you feel as if you have someone sitting right there with you telling you a true tale, like history class only much more interesting.

Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:40 am

Phlox Flammula wrote:
QUOTE (Phlox Flammula @ Aug 4 2007, 03:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But really I just love tolkien's style. It makes you feel as if you have someone sitting right there with you telling you a true tale, like history class only much more interesting.

So true, Phlox! That's what I love about Tolkien, too. *nods enthustiastically* It could be real history, in a way. It feels true to me. (I do know that Elves and Dwarves and Hobbits never existed, but you can still dream, can't you?)

Phlox Flammula
No broom

Postby Phlox Flammula » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:39 pm

Venefica vom Lehn wrote:
QUOTE (Venefica vom Lehn @ Aug 9 2007, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So true, Phlox! That's what I love about Tolkien, too. *nods enthustiastically* It could be real history, in a way. It feels true to me. (I do know that Elves and Dwarves and Hobbits never existed, but you can still dream, can't you?)

*nods* You can always dream... and then pretend that you really did see them. Then people would think that you're crazy, which is always fun. tongue.gif

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”