Anybody A Fan Of The Hobbit?

Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Ginny Cassidy
No broom

Postby Ginny Cassidy » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:43 pm

I've read the book, I've seen the movie, I was even in the play version! (I was Dwalin) Are there any other fans out there? (You should probably use spoiler tags, just incase. You wouldn't want to spoil the book or movie or play by giving away important parts) If you don't know what a spoiler tag is or how to make one, this is how. (Just without the dashes)
[-S-P-O-I-L-E-R-] The secret of the book is, yada yada [-/-S-P-O-I-L-E-R-]

Remember, there are no dashes. I was just spelling it out. smile.gif

So, come on out Hobbit fans! smile.gif

Prof. Ruben Orion
Moontrimmer

Postby Prof. Ruben Orion » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:50 pm

I loved the hobbit as well as I loved the other Tolkien's books, but this one is special because we know it was the first one. We can actually see his ideas coming to life while reading this book.
I don't know if this is really necessary because the book's available worldwide. I just wanted to say that I never got Beorn. I never understood if he was a human or some other thing.

I wish PJ could make a moovie out of it too. biggrin.gif

Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:58 pm

there are always rumours about pj starting at this time or that with the film-version of the hobbit, but so far there's nothing official... i do hope, though, that he and his crew will do the film one day! *nodsnods*

i like the hobbit! smile.gif it's the book without which tolkien's universe would still exist (as he had started writing the stories of the silmarillion a long time earlier), but we probably would know nothing about it... so it is very important, this book! biggrin.gif
i also think it's a nice story. it doesn't have the depth of lotr, but then, it is a children's book. *shrugs*
Maybe life is like rain. Alive if you let it be; lousy and depressing if you don't.
Taken from 50% Chance of Lightning by Cristina Salat.

~ venefica vom Lehn ~ Staff-member of the HOLTolkienSociety ~ Hufflepuff Seventh Year ~

Nothing has [color=orange]ever felt so right and natural and true and good.[/color]
Taken from Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden.

Seren Edwards
No broom

Postby Seren Edwards » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:37 am

PJ is allegedly having problems acquiring the rights to the book for the movie version of The Hobbit. Its being held by quite a few companies and apparently because of the success that LOTR had at the box office they want to get as much money for the rights as possible. You can't blame them after all they are in the business to make money. This is only hear say though and may only hve a minimal piece of truth in it. I Love The Hobbit and would be ecstatic if PJ did get to make it. Maybe now King Kong is finished he will try again for it.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:28 am

There are lots of great things in The Hobbit that are not included in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Basic understanding of hobbits, their disinclination to be aware of any part of the world besides their own Shire (and the rest of the world of the Hobbit 'world'), meeting with folks that are not in the LoTR story, the background of many characters who show up, again, in LoTR --- there is just so much to The Hobbit which contains, in many ways, necessary information for full and complete enjoyment of the rest of the story.
*Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* image by Susan Seddon Boulet *Avatar made by Amy*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Lycan Gawain
No broom

Postby Lycan Gawain » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:10 am

I liked the Hobbit alot, I have seen the movie and been in my school play, (I was Bilbo, lot's of fun) I liked it alot.
Wand: Ash-12 in.-Werewolf hair

Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Rachel Selenia » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:50 pm

I like The Hobbit, because of reasons already mentioned. It's also easier to read (as it's a children's book), and a good way to be introduced to the LotR universe. If you read The Hobbit first, it's easier to read LotR afterwards. At least that's my opinion. smile.gif

I really hope that PJ gets to make a movie of the book. I would like to have it made by him as he did the trilogy movies, and it would be great if they are alike. I mean, every director has their own style when making movies, and I want the same style of both the trilogy and The Hobbit...

Though, what is that Hobbit movie you're talking about?? huh.gif Something I haven't heard about before?? blink.gif
Rachel Selenia || pr_rch || Hufflepuff || Professor of Norse Myths and Legends
Head of HOL Tolkien Society || Wizarding Times Staff Member || HOL Book Club

Sonne Lindemann
No broom

Postby Sonne Lindemann » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:22 am

Rachel Sandersen wrote:I like The Hobbit, because of reasons already mentioned. It's also easier to read (as it's a children's book), and a good way to be introduced to the LotR universe. If you read The Hobbit first, it's easier to read LotR afterwards. At least that's my opinion. smile.gif

I really hope that PJ gets to make a movie of the book. I would like to have it made by him as he did the trilogy movies, and it would be great if they are alike. I mean, every director has their own style when making movies, and I want the same style of both the trilogy and The Hobbit...

Though, what is that Hobbit movie you're talking about?? huh.gif Something I haven't heard about before??  blink.gif

Oh, I'll break it for you! Chances are PJ will direct The Hobbit. They're planning to start all the adventure on 2007, because PJ's busy with another movie (don't remember the name).

Of course it's not confirmed yet, but there's a big possibility!

Lori Staley
No broom

Postby Lori Staley » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:28 pm

I haven't read the book or seen the movie,but I have the game.
live life to the fullest, you only have one to live

Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:15 pm

i have got it! the animated version of the hobbit. (at least one of them, i'm not exactly sure there aren't several.) it's quite cute, really, whereas the animated lotr-version by bakshi just made me laugh, sorry...
Maybe life is like rain. Alive if you let it be; lousy and depressing if you don't.
Taken from 50% Chance of Lightning by Cristina Salat.

~ venefica vom Lehn ~ Staff-member of the HOLTolkienSociety ~ Hufflepuff Seventh Year ~

Nothing has [color=orange]ever felt so right and natural and true and good.[/color]
Taken from Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden.

Lavendie Bregell
No broom

Postby Lavendie Bregell » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:41 pm

I've read the Hobbit and I think it's as good as LotR trilogy.

Signature from the wonderful ID card shop!

Amanda Green
No broom

Postby Amanda Green » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:55 am

I love the hobbit so much that I decided to do a formal essay on it for english class. But shhh.... My Muggle teacher doesn't know that I have read the book four times before. He just thinks I randomly picked it off the list!

That was the best essay i ever wrote!
Buffy: What happened to Xander?
Giles: He kept poking me with his hook. I sent him over to charmed objects. With any luck, he'll poke the wrong one and end up in an alternative dimension inhabited by a 50-foot Giles that squishes annoying, teeny pirates

Ceri McHawk
No broom

Postby Ceri McHawk » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:04 pm

The Hobbit... I think there is nobody who claims being a Tolkien fan who can say "I did not like The Hobbit"

It is as said before, the great beginning of Tolkien's written legacy, you go through it pages (if you're a grown up much easier than reading LOTR as the children book it is, written for his son) and you discover the bases for what is yet to come in the other books.
In my case as said in other post I started with it at 10 years old and ended with needing of knowing more, fortunately as my father had already read more (he was ending The Two Towers then) he helped me to keep forward, so is not only my love for the book and its characters but also the care of being the key to Tolkien's world for me wink.gif

In this days happened something funny with The Hobbit and me: (now OOC) my daughter was reversed than me: she saw first LOTR movies for then asking the books (opposite as with HP she started with the books when she was 6 and then went to the movies) but I think she is too young for understanding and following the story written in the three books so what we did is starting with The Hobbit, so now I am re-reading it with her biggrin.gif

About a movie... PJ said that he really intend to take all the Tolkien's books to films but after making others first and in between, if not he will only be remembered as the Tolkien's movies maker (we still have to see King Kong now for accept him other way than as he define himself wink.gif )

Hermione Smith
No broom

Postby Hermione Smith » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:14 pm

i read the hobbit. it was hard to get into, but once i did it was a good book. i like lord of the rings better though.
Harry potter rocks!

Julius Hoffburn
No broom

Postby Julius Hoffburn » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:03 am

The Hobbit was a marvelous piece of work. The Lord of the Rings was much better though.
"Better is a thousand words is one word that brings PEACE"

Psylocke Furey
No broom

Postby Psylocke Furey » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:54 am

I thought the Hobbit was much easier reading, which was good because it was easy to get into and finish. But when I finished, I didn't smile the way I did when I finished LoTR - it was more of a children's novel, really. So although I loved both, I would have to say that LoTR was a better piece of work - it's an epic!

Sayuri Arwen Snape
No broom

Postby Sayuri Arwen Snape » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:45 am

loved both a lot

Ms. Snape, your post can be considered spam. You should state why you like / dislike the books because simple "I agree" or "I love them too" will not contribute to the discussion. ~Prof. Ruben
Last edited by Sayuri Arwen Snape on Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix Lumen
No broom

Postby Phoenix Lumen » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:30 am

I think I found 'The Hobbit' easier to read because it fit into my hands more easily. My version of LoTR is a three-in-one version, and is quite heavy compared to 'The Hobbit'.

Amethyst Dooley
No broom

Postby Amethyst Dooley » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:05 am

Seth Darklight wrote:As for Peter Jackson working on the movies ... I thought they were having a lot of trouble getting the rights for a Hobbit movie, as they're still held by Tolkien's son, who unfortunately happens to despise the very celluloid that the LotR movies are printed on.

Like so many people who started young with The Hobbit, I love it dearly. I can't imagine reading LotR without having first read The Hobbit. Tolkien uses his storytelling skills in the earlier book with as much facility as he used them in LotR. Its "there and back again" nature makes it comfort reading for me, one of those books you might read late at night for the 20th time (if you're almost 30 tongue.gif ) if you've been stressed and just need a good tale to take your mind off of RL.

- To be honest, I really don't blame Tolkien's son too much for his feelings about LotR. While I enjoyed the movies very much, on balance I felt that at some very crucial points, I was watching Jackson's story, not Tolkien's. Everyone's different, but if I were Christopher Tolkien, I think I'd be just as protective (maybe overly so) of my father's literary legacy.

Still, I also hope that The Hobbit comes to the big screen. It would be wonderful to see a lot more of the Shire, and naturally it would be fascinating to have PJ's marvelous eye through which to see Mirkwood and points east, plus everything that happened there. It's the kind of story that's perfectly suited for cinema. smile.gif

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”