Who Is Your Fav. Lotr Character?

Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Amy Vision
No broom

Postby Amy Vision » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:59 pm

I really like Pippen. He is funny, caring, and everything you could want biggrin.gif He can say a joke even in the middle of battle that will make you smile smile.gif that's why I like him. How 'bout you?

Peace* Amy
I made this sig myself. feel free to PM me
if you would like me to make you one.

|Amy James Vision|Keeper of the Secrets|
|Chocolate Freak|Snape Hater|Harry Potter Lover|

Harry Lestrange
No broom

Postby Harry Lestrange » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:22 pm

Amy Vision wrote:I really like Pippen. He is funny, caring, and everything you could want biggrin.gif  He can say a joke even in the middle of battle that will make you smile smile.gif  that's why I like him. How 'bout you?

Peace* Amy
True but Legolas can do that too. Not too mention he has a wicked aim.
Gryff's ROCK!!!!

Wattle Neurotic
No broom

Postby Wattle Neurotic » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:04 pm

TOUGH question *lol* if you're talking the books...erm...i'd have to say...Aragorn, to me he just seems to be the ultimate hero i guess...i can't explain it but...the way he goes about things is just...yeah. but if you're talking about the movies, Boromir *lol* because it's Sean Bean...or Haldir...or the Hobbits.

yeah that's too hard *s*

Hazel Goldenrod
No broom

Postby Hazel Goldenrod » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:54 pm

I LOVE Faramir!! He is sooo adorable!! wub.gif Plus he is such an awsome fighter and has a good heart.

Padmé Undómiel
Oakshaft 79
Location: Ravenclaw! "Eagle pride is hard to hide" Very true:)

Postby Padmé Undómiel » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:38 pm

This is a really hard question... I love alle the characters, they all have something speciel, but I have always had a soft spot for Faramir, especially in the books, but movies as well, I can't explain what it is about him, there's just something...

In the movies it might be Aragorn though (but that could just be because Viggo Mortensen is Danish and we're so proud of him, he just sort of outshines everyone else to many Danes wink.gif )

Thanks to the amazing Alisha at the Sig 'N Av Palace!

Wand: 8 1/2 inches, holly tree, leprechaun hair core

Prof. Maya Winters
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Maya Winters » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:37 pm

This is so difficult to answer without feeling really influenced from the films. I love Pippin because he's so funny, yet I love Aragorn, Legolas and Eomer because they admittedly look great in the films (compared to most of the others) but also have great substance and hearts as characters. That said, I really admire Faramir for his perseverance, common sense and coping with his terrible father.
Thanks to Dario for providing me with the shiny butterflies for my sig/av ^^

Moiraine Lee
Oakshaft 79

Postby Moiraine Lee » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:33 am

*looks left, then right, then smirks*

Aragorn! Aragorn, son of Arathorn, Elessar Telcontar, Thorongil, Strider, Longshanks, Estel, Wingfoot, Heir of Isildur... ARAGORN! *breathes*

If that didn't prove the fact that I'm deliciously obsessed with the King and Dunadan of the North, yes my favourite character is Aragorn. It always has and always will be. Why? He saved me in the books. Nothing against hobbits, but I wasn't a fan of the hey-do, high-ho stuff that was going on for the first 200 or so pages in Fellowship of the Ring. It was just a little too keechy for me. Nearly put me off the book permanently.

But then, in came Strider, and everything changed. Strider as a character intrigued me incredibly. You don't know if he's good or bad, and back before the movies or even having any friends who've read the book, I hadn't a clue. He was very interesting though, and as the story progressed... well he became even more interesting. In the time it took me to read the first 200 pages, I finished the rest of the book, because I wanted to learn more about the character, Aragorn.

Also, I've always had a thing with rugged men with that heroic spirit and big swords. This can be blamed on my days of reading Redwall, but I loved rogues who are good, but seem bad. Aragorn was all that to me. smile.gif

I don't care if he was the King, if he was just a ranger. He was their guide, their pillar. He was the doer of the story, he helped move the war to the good guy's favour. But don't get me started too much on how important Aragorn is, I wrote a 2000 word essay already on him tongue.gif

Plus, Viggo Mortensen did an amazing job of him in the movies. biggrin.gif *looooves*

If I have to choose a second favourite, it would most definitely be Eomer. That took me some time to figure out, after writing a few fanfictions about him and watching him some more in the LOTR movies. My love for him as a second favourite may be a little fannish (Come on, Karl Urban is wonderful) but I love his strong personality and sense of loyalty in both the books and the movies. Eomer is just so amazing. And Rohan is beautiful.

And Karl Urban who plays Eomer is just so... wow. biggrin.gif
Last edited by Moiraine Lee on Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eleanor Lexington
No broom

Postby Eleanor Lexington » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:49 pm

That is a very hard question! I love Faramir, because he seems to have this internal sadness (I always seem to go for the sad ones). and I also love Aragorn wub.gif alot!! I also love Galadriel because she is so beautiful and wise. I love Gandalf because he is also wise. I love so many of the characters!! I love all the Elves! I think Ive rambled incohearently long enough tongue.gif
Namarie

Sig and Av made by the lovely Pyrus at Sig An Av Palace! <3

Lourdes Rowan
No broom

Postby Lourdes Rowan » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:58 am

I said Aragorn, mainly because movie Aragorn is so incredibly gorgeous and is characterized so well by Viggo Mortensen. I'm sure once I read the books I'll love him even more.
"You criticize and detest in others the faults you see in yourself or that you fear others see in you."
-Zachary Podolsky, Harvard Crimson columnist

Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:00 pm

definetely sam! he's the true hero of the story... without his loyalty, frodo wouldn't have gotten that far, as is so truly said in the films by frodo himself...
to me, sam is the incorporation of hobbit-values. he is the best friend one could wish for. what more could one wish for?
Last edited by Venefica vom Lehn on Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe life is like rain. Alive if you let it be; lousy and depressing if you don't.
Taken from 50% Chance of Lightning by Cristina Salat.

~ venefica vom Lehn ~ Staff-member of the HOLTolkienSociety ~ Hufflepuff Seventh Year ~

Nothing has [color=orange]ever felt so right and natural and true and good.[/color]
Taken from Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden.

Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Rachel Selenia » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:27 pm

I actually haven't voted, because I have two favourites, and I realy can't choose between them. sad.gif

One of them is Sam - brave and loyal, and just so nice! How could you not love him? tongue.gif

The other one is of course Aragorn. I liked him in the books, because he was mysterious and so serious all the time. I have an ability to really get into books, and feel as if I was there. And when I read LotR, I got sort of a connection to Aragorn. I don't know how to explain it... Then I read the story about him and Arwen, and I liked him even more!
And after watching the movies, I can't say I like him less - actually it's the other way round. wink.gif
Rachel Selenia || pr_rch || Hufflepuff || Professor of Norse Myths and Legends
Head of HOL Tolkien Society || Wizarding Times Staff Member || HOL Book Club

Tulojow Nagde
No broom

Postby Tulojow Nagde » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:51 am

For me, no doubt, the vote goes for Samwise. He is totally the uncredited hero of the whole scenario. If it weren't for Sam, the good guys would have lost.
Sometimes life gives us lessons sent in ridiculous packaging.
- Dar Williams
Never Headbutt A Unicorn!Image

Alentia Crystalis
No broom

Postby Alentia Crystalis » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:04 am

Without a doubt-Aragorn. Aragorn is the prime of all the characters in LOTR, in my opinion. A king in exile, shown forth to rise to his name long lived in Gondor's history to come, he never falters and resurrects his self and "saves the day" lol. But really, I think his character-from a lonely Strider to high king Elessar-is quite fetching. lol...
Gryffindor <3

Midori Hatake
No broom

Postby Midori Hatake » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:34 am

I personally like Elrond's twin boys. They are super mischevious. Its funny. Now if I could only remember their names....sleep.gif'
~ Midori Hatake ~ Griffindor ~ 1st Year ~ mi627 ~

I am fog and fickle mist
I am all that can't be tamed
I am born of devil's kiss
Sheer potential unrestrained

Tyler Wood
No broom

Postby Tyler Wood » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:02 pm

my fav. has to be sam. Sam is so lovable and is the real hero in my opinion. Plus o love how loyal he was through the whole thing.
~*Tye*~

Tyler Wood | First Year | Slytherin | ty555

When we were little we were told to color inside the lines but if we live that way, then whats the point of living?

Once you have hit rock bottom, the only way to go is up.

. . . Always reach for the stars . . . . you're bound to grasp something. . .

Lyall Tanith
No broom

Postby Lyall Tanith » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:40 am

Midori Hatake wrote:I personally like Elrond's twin boys. They are super mischevious. Its funny. Now if I could only remember their names....sleep.gif'

Elrond's twin boy's names are Elladan and Elrohir. ^^ Personally, I like Faramir. tongue.gif

Devander Darius
No broom

Postby Devander Darius » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:40 am

Aragorn is my favorite because i can relate to him so much. He knows that he is destined to become king but he still is afraid that what he is doing is wrong. i feel like that all the time. Every reaction he makes, they would be mine. I would do exactly everything he would do

"Toujours Pur"

Amy Honeydukes
No broom

Postby Amy Honeydukes » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:57 am

I've never read the books but I've seen the movies. My favorite is Aragorn. smile.gif He is brave, and is hot. hehe He is just such a cool character.
~am416~
~Slytherin~
~Wand: Witch Hazel, 14 inches, Powdered Graphorn horn~
~Pureblood~

Ayreon Autumn
No broom

Postby Ayreon Autumn » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:48 pm

LEGOLAS ofcourse!
Why?

1- He is a elf and I like elves because their looks.
2- He is immortal.
3- His ears is his sensitive spot.
4- The clothes. Those fits in his environment and I love the forest.
5- The way he cares about the people he loves.
Don't dinail your true nature
l Slytherin l Making your real friends l

October Jackson
No broom

Postby October Jackson » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:20 pm

What, am I still the only Boromir fan here? rolleyes.gif

Boromir is without doubt my favourite character in both the books and the films. He's genuinely flawed, and is brought down by his own weaknesses, but finally overcomes them. To me, that makes him the most sympathetic character.

Much as I admire Aragorn, Frodo, Eowyn etc, there's something about a character whose greatest battle is with his own demons. Boromir's strength is his love of his country, his people and his father, but that's ultimately also what brings him down. His greatest strength becomes the source of his weakness.

But despite his own utter failure, which has such a huge impact on the whole quest, he doesn't run away or embrace his evil side. He faces up to what he's done, gets up, turns round and heads back into the battle. That's what I really admire - not someone who is always strong, but someone who, when their strength breaks down, has the courage to face their own failure and carry on.
"His name was... was..." Hagrid swallowed.
"Can't you write it down?" Harry suggested.
"Nah, can't spell it. All right -- Voldemort." He shuddered. "Don't make me say it again -- it's trademarked. Do you want me to get sued?"
(Bandersnatch, TLC comments)

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”