Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Lyra Lovegood
No broom

Postby Lyra Lovegood » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:15 pm

I Love both of them!! smile.gif

Jei Monterosso
No broom

Postby Jei Monterosso » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:49 am

Books most definitely, the movies were good but they can never live up to the books. Though I can't really criticize the movies, they were brilliant in their own respect.

Julian Charlie
No broom

Postby Julian Charlie » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:36 am

Books. Love them, and alot of the stuff wasn't in the movies. Its extremely hard to place information about certain things when your rushing. Like what Gandalf says 'The Balrog of Morgoth'. Morgoth is the most powerful evil villian of them all, he was Sauron's master, but you don't really hear about him unless you read the first age.
Sig N av by Meh (Julian @ The Palace)

Corisa Bennet
No broom

Postby Corisa Bennet » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:54 am

Agreeing with Julian; I had no idea who Morgoth was until I read the Silmarillion, then I read the Hobbit and then the Lord of the Ringses tongue.gif
The books are absolutely f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c, but it's the movies that got me into it. Like with HP, I refused to read it because everyone did, until I went to the movies and saw the first one tongue.gif
Anyway, the movies are great, but the books still win.

Sig made by Jasmin at the Sig 'n' Av Palace
PM me for info.

Lucy Greyback
No broom

Postby Lucy Greyback » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:52 pm

I have read the books and saw the movies. I am surprised how much Peter Jackson has managed to include in the movie from the book. Of course, I love the books better because it is more detailed, but the movies are really well done, and the music is plain awesome!
|4th Year||Student Teacher: Astrology 101 and Werewolves 101||Gryffindor.|

Nerissa Allison
No broom

Postby Nerissa Allison » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:24 pm

Oh, I definitely like the books better.

Now, don't get me wrong: the movies were awesome. But the books were the actual tales, not adaptions. And Tolkien is such a good storyteller. I'd rather read than watch a movie most days, anyway. There's so much more content to the books, and one is left free to imagine things for oneself.

Hooray for Broadway!

Kiri Galdor
No broom

Postby Kiri Galdor » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:11 pm

I would normally say that I prefer books to films, but.....

I liked the Fellowship of the Ring and The Return of the King better as books. The Two Towers I prefered as a film.

I always found The Two Towers a bit of a filler book and very hard going to read. Too many battles, Frodo and Sam lost somwhere on their way to Mordor. Peter Jackson did such a great job of making it a separate story, not just a filler.

On the plus side we are introduced to Eomer *swoon* and Eowyn, both interesting and important characters as the story progresses, which you find more of in the books.

I also hated that they had to leave out The Razing of the Shire in Return of the King, and kill off Saruman early, but understand the film would have been at least another hour long, not that I would have minded *g*.

I also loved the Appendixes that Tolkien put in. He put in so much work to create Middle Earth and its history and made it so believable.
That for me is the magic of Middle Earth.

Kiri
Last edited by Kiri Galdor on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Made by the fabulous Annie

Bring me fun, bring me sunshine, bring me love....

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity -- Dorothy Parker

Paul Daniels
No broom

Postby Paul Daniels » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:43 am

Hands down the books. I think that even if a movie adds something to the story and perception, you can't imitate the kinds of things you can see and feel in a book. In a movie you can't hear the thoughts of the characters and what the characters look like is up to the director. A book is so much more freeing, especialy the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Books can send you across middle-earth and back, but a movie can only give you a glimpse of the whole thing. And besides a movie can only be so long and so accurate, I definately prefer the books to the movies, but the movies were extraordinarily well done.

Yavanna Basham
No broom

Postby Yavanna Basham » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:51 pm

Books or movies?

Umm, either one, but possibly the books more so.

But, then again, the movies are nice too.

But, if given a choice, I'd say.... books.... or movies.

No, actually, the books. :P

Prof. Samuel Dumbledore
No broom

Postby Prof. Samuel Dumbledore » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:14 am

The movies are great but....no question about it...THE BOOKS RULE!!!!

Just like that

Sam
Oh Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
Recordamos aún, nosotros que habitamos
en esta tierra lejana bajo los Arboles,
tu luz estelar sobre los mares del Oeste

Prof. Zoki Phantom
Shooting Star

Postby Prof. Zoki Phantom » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:49 pm

Hmm..

Well I can't say in general, because on some stories, I would rather watch them on the TV/in the Cinema, than reading the books.

And I'm sorry for all the books lovers (myself too!) but some of Tolkien's books have just too harsh writing style for me. >_> I can't stand reading and reading details. I mean I can some, but at places it's a bit went beyond for my style. >_>

But again.. books are always so much more fun, so much more details (just lets not overdo. :P ), and free space to imagine yourself.

Last edited by Prof. Zoki Phantom on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rose Alstien
No broom

Postby Rose Alstien » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:11 pm

With most things, books. However, with LOrd of The Rings, I have to say equal. The books have incredibly more detail, but the movies are a LOT easier to follow, plus, they've payed attention to all the detail, and have done a great job putting it into movie format, unlike with Harry Potter.
How can you live if you're to afraid to die?

Tara Aurelium
Oakshaft 79

Postby Tara Aurelium » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:32 am

I'll have to go with the movies. The books are good, they really are. But unfortunately, the writing style is a bit too difficult for me. Some parts really excited me, while others made me fall asleep. I LOVED The Hobbit, but Lord of the Rings just... I guess it became too old.
5th year | RQT co-captain | the botmaster

Kylie Joel Lonerins
No broom

Postby Kylie Joel Lonerins » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:55 am

well, i love both movies and the books. And its clearly movies are more easier to understand as it come visual for us :lol:
but i prefer THE BOOKS!
because yes the Hobbit and other Lord of the Rings books is more imagine for me. :)
made by my bestie-honeybee Hellrot Beleuchten ! Yay! <333

Rosalin Wood
No broom

Postby Rosalin Wood » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:51 am

I would prefer the books. I love the written style and the original! The movies are good and I love the style of the elves, but I dont like all the important forgotten or changed stuff.

Monita Natanegara
No broom

Postby Monita Natanegara » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:37 am

I like the book because the details are so beautiful!

Too bad they didn't put Tom Bombadil in the movie...
“Everything comes to an end. Be happy for what you have now for it will come to an end. And don't be too sad for any trouble you may face for it will come to an endâ€￾

Kelly Oliver
No broom

Postby Kelly Oliver » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:17 pm

I prefer the books because of all the details and explanations. Plus, books can be as long as they need to be because there's no time limit on a book! :) The main thing I don't like about the movies is the amount of stuff that gets left out because it would make the movie horribly long.

Mikhail Suracuse
No broom

Postby Mikhail Suracuse » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:27 am

I prefer books over movies. There is just so much more detail. And the movies end up leaving something good out.
| Mikhail Suracuse | Second Year | Paw Print | GQT |
| Zee's Guardian Angel | Joey's Slave | Eno's Princess | Ro Ro's Dork |

Holly Muse
No broom

Postby Holly Muse » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:52 pm

I love the books, they're definitely my favourite. The movies are really good, but they just can't beat the books. At the end of the return of the king, there's a thing called an apendix, though maybe it's the epilogue in some versions, and I love to read that bit, even if it is really sad at the end of it. Also I think some of the characters are so funny, and the movie takes that away.

Lynne Fantome
No broom

Postby Lynne Fantome » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:40 am

I couldn't get through the first book. I just felt parts of it dragged on for so long. I got to the Council of Elrond part, and gave up. It was just too boring to grab my attention. 99% of the time, I like books more than movies, so I was surprised that I disliked the book.

The movies are fantastic. I've actually been thinking of pulling them out and watching them again sometime soon. I haven't seen them in forever.
I want to see the light leave your eyes.

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”