Books Or Movies?

Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Amy Vision
No broom

Postby Amy Vision » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:53 pm

I acctually have not have not read the books. unsure.gif I know...I know. Shame on me. So I have to say I love the movies better. Go figure. laugh.gif So what about you? blink.gif Have fun!
I made this sig myself. feel free to PM me
if you would like me to make you one.

|Amy James Vision|Keeper of the Secrets|
|Chocolate Freak|Snape Hater|Harry Potter Lover|

Rebecca Star
No broom

Postby Rebecca Star » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:16 pm

I also haven't read the books at all and my friend even let me borrow them and I still haven't read them and that was like two years ago. But, I like the movies better even if I didn't read the books. Lord of the Rings was the best movie out of all of them.

Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Rachel Selenia » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:27 pm

Well, I haven't heard of that before - saying that one thing is better than the other when you haven't explored both of them. blink.gif
Anyway, I have seen the movies a lot of times (and I mean a lot biggrin.gif ), and I have also read the books a lot of times - I have lost count by now. wink.gif
I read the books before I saw the movies, and I have to say that the books are far better. There's just so much more of everything! They did a great job putting a book like that into movies, but nothing can be better than the original, in my opinion.

Oh, by the way, Rebecca - Lord of the Rings is the name of all three movies together. wink.gif
Rachel Selenia || pr_rch || Hufflepuff || Professor of Norse Myths and Legends
Head of HOL Tolkien Society || Wizarding Times Staff Member || HOL Book Club

Alentia Crystalis
No broom

Postby Alentia Crystalis » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:05 pm

Hm...It is a toughy to say which one is better, but I will have to say that both the books and the movies are better. tongue.gif

What I mean is that in the books, it was great! You could think up all the different nations (gondor, rohan) and characters for yourself. Not only that, but the movies are limited to 3..ish hours for time so they exclude so many details and also they change so much (Arwen, a LOT. And Tom B.!) Probably the only problem I had with the books were that they were long. What I mean is reading all three LOTR books, and the Hobbit, and also the Silmarillion and the other books to get the gist of what was happening in the Third Age. Reading took forever...maybe two years I think.

The movies are really good though. Change that...the first and third were good. The second one really screwed things up. (Arwen, Elves, Haldir dying!?) And so on. The first was great because you got to visually see middle earth and the characters in front of you on screen. And Aragorn... tongue.gif But anyway, biggest problem I had was excluding so many details and adding new things in. They took out Tom Bombadil, put in Arwen, changed up the fight at Helm's Deep, and so on. Eh, I have contrasting opinions. Sue me. tongue.gif
Gryffindor <3

Aili Raja
No broom

Postby Aili Raja » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:31 am

I also liked the both, but for me the books are always better because you can read them at your own pace and reread the parts you liked.

About the movies I think that they were made very well - better than I expected, and I would say that they were equal to the books if there wasn't that one little thing that ruins them for me - the ending (it takes away the whole point of the story dry.gif ).

Aili
"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." - Mark Twain

Rebecca Star
No broom

Postby Rebecca Star » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:40 am

Rachel Sandersen wrote:Oh, by the way, Rebecca - Lord of the Rings is the name of all three movies together.  wink.gif

biggrin.gif Yeah, you got me there. I meant to say that I liked Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. I wan't even watching as I was typing so I'm sorry for the mishap.

Prof. Audiaa Martin
No broom

Postby Prof. Audiaa Martin » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:18 am

I made myself read all the books before I saw the movies because generally I like books *a lot* more. This time, I have to say that I like them both almost equally. The movies are much easier to follow and have a stronger central plot, but the books bring in a lot of things that just make the whole world seem more real. I'd encourage anyone who hasn't read the books to give them a try or maybe read "The Hobbit".

Moiraine Lee
Oakshaft 79

Postby Moiraine Lee » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:51 am

To be honest, it was the hype of the movies that made me go read the books. Experience says that books are always 100 time better than the movies. So I read through the entire Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit before I went to the movies.

To be quite frank, I will have to side with the great Tolkien on who's better. But I'm biased because I've read all his back stories like the Silmarillion. But you can just never equal the superiority that was THE book, THE orginal that was the books. Tolkien penned all of it himself! So yeah...

Plus, it was only in there that you get most of the brilliance that was his word order, descriptions and eloquence. But I took a class in university that had to point that out to me. tongue.gif

As for the movies, I love them. Peter Jackson did an amazing job. WETA is my new God (their special effects are just o.O Why can't they do Harry Potter???) I however was not pleased with quite a number of changes he made in the canon. Such as that Last Last Alliance of Elves and Men and having Haldir die all prettily in Aragorn's arms (he lives. Thank you) Faramir's OOC-ness, and Sam getting sent away. But I understand why it was done for consistency's sake. However, I still don't like it :/

I did love their interpretation on Gollum (I loved Andy Serkis) and how gorgeous (cough) their men were, like Viggo Mortensen, Karl Urban, David Wenham, Sean Bean, Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom. biggrin.gif And well... WETA is my God. Man were those landscapes and creatures amazing!

I still will never forgive PJ for two things. One was the revealing of Gandalf's return in his teaser trailer. The second, for inflicting the LOTR fanfiction world with all those OMG!Legolasfangrrls writing Legomances! But that's really the fault of the fangirls now isn't it wink.gif

Venefica vom Lehn
Oakshaft 79

Postby Venefica vom Lehn » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:32 am

well, that's always a tough decision... but just like moraine explained, the books came first, they are the original work, and a man must be a genius to work all of it out! the depths to which his mythology goes is amazing, and i myself count it among the great mythologies of the world.

the films were superbly made, they are my absolutely favourite films. i don't agree with every change they made, but overall, they are great. most of the characters got pretty close to what i imagined them to be like, and the landscape is so great... i also love the music (which you can also listen to while reading the books *grin*).
but i still like the books much more. *nods*
Maybe life is like rain. Alive if you let it be; lousy and depressing if you don't.
Taken from 50% Chance of Lightning by Cristina Salat.

~ venefica vom Lehn ~ Staff-member of the HOLTolkienSociety ~ Hufflepuff Seventh Year ~

Nothing has [color=orange]ever felt so right and natural and true and good.[/color]
Taken from Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden.

Martin Samuel
No broom

Postby Martin Samuel » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:52 pm

In my opinion the books are soooo much better. The detail that Tolkien put in the books as well as any other book he wrote is unbelievable.

The films on the other hand did a great job of puting all of The Lord of the Rings into film and kudos to Peter Jackson.

Blake Slatton
No broom

Postby Blake Slatton » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:41 am

The books are much better. I think movies of almost every book or book series are not quite as good as the books. Besides, I like being able to envision everything how I want to envision it - seeing a movie ruins the imagination.
Alte Sententiam | Pensieve Opinion Staff
Ravenclaw Book Club | Writer's Society

Sig made by Vladimir of Sig 'N 'Av Palace

Zylle Calder
No broom

Postby Zylle Calder » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:39 am

The books are so good. While the movies tended to follow closely I like the details and character developement among other 'extras' you get from the books that you don't get watching the movies.
God does not call the qualified...he qualifies the called.

Katya Blue
No broom

Postby Katya Blue » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:05 pm

i like the books more. my favorite part of the movies is how they stuffed up arwen's part in the whole thing. she's my favorite character and living off of the like 3 sentences throughout the books and the appendix isn't enough for me smile.gif
katya blue | ravenclaw | ka613

Alley Kitten
No broom

Postby Alley Kitten » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:55 am

I read the books a long time ago when I was in high school. Then, when I heard the movies were coming out I reread "Fellowship of the Rings." Then, I saw the movie.

Now, I'm a huge J.R.R. Tolkien fan (got his sig tattooed on the back of my neck) but, I've always found his style a little dull.

I saw the movies and thought, "Wow! That's BETTER than how I imagined it!" That was the first time I'd ever thought that about a film.

So, I have to say that seeing the films can help in reading the books. You just have to remember that books and movies are different things. And, there are some great differences between these films and the novels.

In all...I liked both. I feel that the films really compliment the books.

"Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it."

Shivani Gupta
No broom

Postby Shivani Gupta » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:34 pm

I also read the books before the movies. The movies did make me go back and read them with a clearer pictures in mind. It was the movies that really turned me into a Tolkien geek. I've now read the Silmarillion and The Lost Tales.

I can't say the books are better or worse than the movies. Why? Because the movies were a masterpiece on their own. Since the entire tale was woven by Tolkien, of course I'd say that the books were better. He created a whole new world! It had its own history, mythology, people, everything. The books were able to take the time to truly tell the reader everything. In every case, the books are of course better.

But this is one of those rare occasions when the movies were so beautiful that they became a work of their own. I admit, I absolutely hated some of the changes the made. Taking out stuff--I can deal with that. But, for example, making Faramir completely OOC, making Arwen's story so big (she was hardly MENTIONED in The Two Towers book!), and killing poor Haldir (why were Elves there in the first place??)...that bothered me.
Still, the meaning was still there. The beauty, the depth, and the overall morals. Sure, the ending was different, but it was still a nice ending. PJ was, overall, faithful to Tolkien.

So, I'd say that you really can't compare them. The books are great because they, being BOOKS and the original work, had everything. The movies are great because they were beautiful and took its time (a LOT of time) to give meaning to every character and scene.
<3 Marauders

PH rules.

Hearing is believing, music is decieving
Hard as lightning, soft as candlelight...
Dare you trust the
music of the night

Wattle Neurotic
No broom

Postby Wattle Neurotic » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:02 am

*ponders* i don't like one more than the other. mainly because i see them as totally different things. the movies are absolutely amazing, and the books are just so...so...wow...*lol*

i'll admit to seeing FotR and then reading the books, but everything about LotR is just so amazing, that it's hard to choose one over the other.

Nakamura Nishadake
No broom

Postby Nakamura Nishadake » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:40 pm

I like them both equaly. The book contains more information but the movie is easier to understand.
"Roy:"Yeah, Ed, how could I forget? I saw you lying there with the same stump of an arm you have now. Bawling in your sleep:'It HURTS!!! I'M GONNA PEE MY PANTS!!!'""

Psylocke Furey
No broom

Postby Psylocke Furey » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:47 pm

I definitely like both equally, but I read the books AFTER I watched the movies (I'm so ashamed of myself *L*) so I had already grown attached to the movies by them. I think I still would have loved the movies if I'd read the books first, but I might have been more angry that they left so much out and put so much other stuff in. (For example, what happened to Tom Bombadil, exactly...?)
I usually love books much better than movies (for example, the Harry Potter movies don't at all compare to the books) but in this case I think the movies were awesomely done. So I can't choose.

Sean Lupin
No broom

Postby Sean Lupin » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:26 pm

i like the movies better biggrin.gif but the books are ok too

Dawn Christensen
No broom

Postby Dawn Christensen » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:32 pm

I like them both equally i think. THey both have a liking quality. I like the books because they ar more correct then the movies because they are coming straight from JK and don't have to be changed because of a lack of time. I like the movies becuase you can see what the characters look and sound like. and what everything looks like. and compare that to what you thought it would look like. smile.gif

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”