Books Or Movies?

Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Isabella Kings
No broom

Postby Isabella Kings » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:34 am

Thats a tough question because both the book and movie are very good. I loved the way Peter Jackson protrayed the book and the book, what can I say I loved it. So to answer the question, I'll have to say I prefer the movie beacuse it was so well made and I loved the special effects.

Rachel Soloway
Oakshaft 79

Postby Rachel Soloway » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:32 pm

I have to say that I feel like a cheat. I saw the movies before I read the books, which was a huge mistake. I loved the Hobbit but I couldn't get into the rest of the books. So I'd have to say I liked the movies better. They were amazing.

Brenna Westfeld
Oakshaft 79

Postby Brenna Westfeld » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:38 pm

I am a die-hard purist, so of course my loyalty is to the books first, movies second. The movies were fantastic, I will never deny that. I was one of those people who got tickets weeks in advance for opening night, and got the special edition DVDs for Christmas. However, the movies must be looked at as adaptations. There are so many things that are either missing or have been changed to make the movie work/fit into the 3.5hrs. What makes the books so much better is all those little bits that really make Middle Earth come alive. All the stories, songs, and sideplots that the characters get lost in really give the feeling that Middle Earth is alive and ancient. I applaud Peter Jackson for his vision, but I will be forever devoted to Tolkien himself.

Brenna Delaney
No broom

Postby Brenna Delaney » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:53 pm

Oh wow, tough question. Both media have pluses. In the movies we got fantastic visuals and more banter between Gimli and Legolas (YAY GIMLI) but in the books we get to see more of Boromir's nobility and Faramir not being tempted and Tom Bombadil. Okay yeah, not such a tough question. Books are definately far superior, for all the little details and subplots and just the poetry of the language. I understand why PJ had to substantially twist or outright remove parts, but I'm still something of a purist. I mean honestly, did Arwen lock Glorfindel in a closet or something?

Vika Ferox
No broom

Postby Vika Ferox » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:39 am

I have read books first. Then I was about 12-13 years old and it was hard job for me huh.gif But I loved it!!!!!
And when I saw films I lovede them too!!!!! (don't think that I love everythin... I really don't dry.gif ) Films were made almost exactly by the books, lots of details, good actors. They were tottaly diferent from HP films, which are made without half of information and details...

Brenna Delaney
No broom

Postby Brenna Delaney » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:33 am

You guys are not gonna believe what I found today. Someone went through all the books and movies and documented every difference between them. S/He put it all together into a webpage called "The NitPicker's Guide to the Lord of the Rings" and it's actually quite thorough. If anyone wants the address, please feel free to PM me. Or Googling it would work. Whatever. wink.gif

Delia van Loenen
No broom

Postby Delia van Loenen » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:25 am

To tell the truth, I like the books better. The books explain a lot more what is happening; I was watching the 1st movie and it doesn't explain what it is all about (the ring, etc). I think that that might be really confusing to someone who hasn't read the books. I also like books better because there is more description and gives you background information.

Claire D. Smith

Postby Claire D. Smith » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:43 am

Honestly I've never actually read the books, I did attempt to but was a little bored and it took a lot of effort to get into it but that was when I was much younger so I'm sure I could do so now, and have been wanting to for a long time. In general, movies never surpass the books.

Eliza Ithil
Moontrimmer

Postby Eliza Ithil » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:43 am

Haha. When it comes to those surveys asking you your fav things-music, etc... Mine is like LOTR, LOTR, LOTR, JRR Tolkien... The list goes on. So, I love the whole collection. But I would say I love the books better because, hey, they're the real thing. They're the roots and the meaning. I can read the books for hours unlike any other novel (tending to be an issue when I have homework : ) ) They pull me in and I'm there, wanting to yell to Frodo to be careful of Gollum and to trust Sam more! I became so, um, passionate that I've read the Silmarillion many times and can practically recite the whole of "Beren and Luthien", which I admit is rather sad.
Tolkien is my favorite writer and that shall be forever.
Thanks to Jacenta, owner of Sig N Av Palace, for this amazing signature and av!
Wand: 8 3/4 inches, willow, griffin tail feather
United States

Lenore Spiaggi
No broom

Postby Lenore Spiaggi » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:25 pm

I read the book after seeing the first movie, and had a very hard time going through the Fellowship. It seemed to drag forever! I know the other two were more action-oriented anyway, but still...

Don't misunderstand me: LotR is a great story. The concept is beyond anything thought of before, and I'd dare say even after. Trouble is, I don't quite enjoy Tolkien's style of writing. His descriptions can bog the story down with sheer richness of detail. And his narrations go on forever. "The Council of Elrond" chapter had all the elements we were directed to avoid in my story-writing classes. I loved the way Jackson nipped and tucked and upped the pace of the storyline.

Then again, a lot of what Jackson did, especially in TT, is just not Tolkien. I enjoyed seeing elves at Helm's Deep as much as the next Tolkien nut, but it was just not the real thing. And I gave two thumbs up for fleshing Arwen into a real character, but I resented the sentimentality around her in RotK.

So I wouldn't really choose. I think the books and movies complement each other very nicely. One's strengths are the other's weaknesses.
"They say you are a witch." "They lie; I am a cunning woman."

Akil Thutmose
No broom

Postby Akil Thutmose » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:11 am

Certain things, the film portrays better. Other things, the book kicks butt.

Scenery wise, holy smokes Batman! Mr. Jackson did a great job presenting Middle-earth to us on the big screen. New Zealand was the perfect backdrop and I can't wait to go to the country, one day, myself just to see the beauty of it.

As far as battles, Mr. Jackson also tops the Professor with this one. I believe the Battle for Helm's Deep, in the book, was described within a matter of a page. Maybe.

One thing the Professor does have going for him is that it's everything. No skipping anything (including second breakfasts!). You have Tom Bombadil, you have Imrahil, you have Beregond. Characters that I thought were great, but because of a lack of time, were ignored for the movies.

Therefore, I must plead the 5th on this one. Both are great.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read." -Groucho Marx
"Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be!" -Eru Iluvatar, The Ainulindale, The Silmarillion

Bev Grey
No broom

Postby Bev Grey » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:51 pm

I really depends I love Movies... but I also love reading.

If your talking about a book that has been made into a movie...i.e. Harry Potter, the books are so much better. Alot of stuff is left out of the movies

Bev, this forum is called HOL Tolkien Society for a reason. It means this is the place where we only talk about Tolkien-related things. Therefore, if you had read this topic thoroughly, you would've understanded that the question was only about the LOTRs books and movies. Please read the threads before you post from now on.
Thank you,
Prof. Orion
Last edited by Bev Grey on Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I'd Rather Be Hated For Who I Am Then Loved For Who I Am Not"

Mairead Falcourt
No broom

Postby Mairead Falcourt » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:13 pm

I loved the books, but I had seen the first movie, first before I read the books. I didn't read Fellowship of the Ring until after I read and watched Two Towers. I loved Return of the King the movie and the book.
So I'd have to say book!
Doctor Who makes the world go round.
Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it!

May Lee
Oakshaft 79

Postby May Lee » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:13 am

I prefer the books, i couldn't completely unerstand by watching te movie..
and i loved all the content of the book, it tells us more then we see in the movie.
JKR could describe everything aswell, so we can use our magination while read the book wink.gif
>> Burn the evils of the world with brilliant truth <<

Phlox Flammula
No broom

Postby Phlox Flammula » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:39 pm

I really enjoyed the movies, but I think the books because Tolkien has such a matter of fact tone and is a beautifully practically story teller. I just love his style!

Vaynard Kent
No broom

Postby Vaynard Kent » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:11 am

Both are good, but i'd rather to watch a movie instead.. because it will only need a few hours to watch the movie, but will need a few hours to read the book biggrin.gif
The point is, Book is not effective for me laugh.gif

Jessica Bobb
No broom

Postby Jessica Bobb » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:25 pm

Books. Hands down. Books are always better than the movies. You get so much more from books. I mean the movies were awesome but there were some parts and some characters that were left out.

Mairead Falcourt
No broom

Postby Mairead Falcourt » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:51 pm

I like the books aload, but the movies were prety good!
Last edited by Mairead Falcourt on Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Who makes the world go round.
Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it!

Tempest Ashe-Wyrd
No broom

Postby Tempest Ashe-Wyrd » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:57 pm

I loved the movies for what it's worth...but the books are just fantastic! Did you know they were originally written to be kids stories! I prefer reading to watching a movie any day. I love being able to make my own pictures of teh things described and the characters I see always seem to be more real than they are in the movies. I'm always disappointed when I watch the movie because it ruins my image of the wonderful characters that the author has created and made me see!!!!! This all goes for LOTR as well as HP, I guess I'm just a huge bookworm, oh well!

Marguerite Davenport
No broom

Postby Marguerite Davenport » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:55 am

I said the same thing about the potter books and movies. I kind of feel like you really can't compare the two. They're two separate media, and even if they used the books, as a direct script it would still be like trying to compare apples to oranges. There are certain things that can be shown just better visually. A picture is worth a thousand words. The LOTR movies interact with more of our senses than the Books. I feel it is much better to except the two different media and appreciate them individually and in support of each other. But I will add that I only read the books because I saw the first movie and loved it.
Last edited by Marguerite Davenport on Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Member of the Sneer Squad & President of the Order of the Blanket
Proud D. A. MEMBER
Fifth-Year Slytherin Pure Blood

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”