Books Or Movies?

Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Oscar Sanchez
No broom

Postby Oscar Sanchez » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:34 am

I love the movies, but my choice is books. A thousand times!. They are the original ones and they are longer!
One ring to rule, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness, bind them!
Ravenclaw is knowledge, knowledge is power

Elganorus Oakbark
Oakshaft 79

Postby Elganorus Oakbark » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:14 am

I certainly vote for the books!
In the movies Frodo for example is a "different" person (for example: about 30 years younger) as he is in the books.
And, altough this movies are the best book adaptation I've ever seen, with all the works of WETA, etc, but they changed too many parts of the books.
Don't misunderstand me, I love the films, but the books are better.
I'm the Rugged Man, and the Ruler of all Chocolate Frogs!
Everybody wants to be Us!

Brittney Behr
No broom
Location: Insanity...bravery...a passionate love for butterbeer!...Your a Gryffindor.

Postby Brittney Behr » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:03 pm

usually i like the books better...but this time i have to say i enjoyed the movies much more! there was more action.....a cute elf......lots of neat creatures that you dont have to imagine what they look like....a cute elf.......uuuuuumumumm.....did i mention the cute elf?
Amy Vision made my wonderful siggy! Go Amy!
I will take over the world.....Hail me!
Go pichu minions...go!

Hermione Smith
No broom

Postby Hermione Smith » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:16 pm

the books are better then the movies. the books have alot more detail and other things happen to the fellowship that doesn't happen in the movie. but the movies are great too, i've seen all the movies at least five times
Harry potter rocks!

Lillian Diem
No broom

Postby Lillian Diem » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:42 am

I like them both. The books give you a lot more insight into the characters and backgrounds. There's a lot more to the story than could ever be captured in the movies, unless you wanted it to be 100+ hours long.

The movies however stand on there on. Yes there were changes, but from a moviemakers standpoint I can understand why they did most of them. The casting was spot-on, with the possible exception of Aragorn. Viggo Mortenson is much better looking than the way I pictured Aragorn in the books tongue.gif .
"Sig & Av made @ The Sig N' Av Palace by Hena"

Amanda Hensgen
No broom

Postby Amanda Hensgen » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:38 am

My story on lotR is kind of weird. I didn't actually read/see the movie/book until this past summer. I always told everyone that I hated lotR and it's stupid blah, blah, blah, when I really never saw/read them. Okay yes I was a hypocrite...
Anyways, I actually saw the movies before I read the book. (Which I normally think is wrong and never do)
But the thing is I thought I hated LotR, so why would I read them? I got the book on my 11th birthday. So I've had it for what 4 years and said I'd never read it. But I read it immediatley after watching all three movies.
So back to the original question I think I like the movies better. But only because if I had read the book before I saw the movie I would have been totally lost and confused. But the book essentially led to the movie-making. So without the book the movies wouldn't exsist. So I therefore love them both smile.gif
Last edited by Amanda Hensgen on Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tanis Majere
No broom

Postby Tanis Majere » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:51 am

I'd seen the first two movies in theaters by the time I'd decided to get the books. I didn't want to ruin the third movie however and waited til it released to read them. After watching the movies and then going to the books I still would say the books are better. Amazing story building and great writing from tolkein. I was very surprised to hear that it was written so long ago, meaning that he was the creature of that type of Fantasy world.

Despite voting for the books I must credit the movie making for such a great adaptation. It was spectacularly done and better every time. I'd love however to have seen the battle for the shire at the end. Just imagining Merry and Pippin leading the revolt was just so....cool for lack of a better word.

Ilona Littrell
Oakshaft 79

Postby Ilona Littrell » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:58 pm

I can't really choose... I'v been so obsessed keeping books and movies apart that I kinda don't really connect them that well anymore .. lol

I think both movies and books are brilliant. smile.gif
-»----(¯`v´¯)----»
[color= gray]^Sig & Av made by me.
Feel free to PM me if you want one, or come to the Gryfftastic Graphics Club in the Gryff CR! ;)[/color]
|[color=Blue]Sixth Year|Lady Marauder|Gryfftastic Graphics Club|Captain of the Black PINK Pearl|[/color]

Hermione Smith
No broom

Postby Hermione Smith » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:16 pm

i've read all the books and seen all the movies. the books are probably better because like most cases it has alot more detail that the movies cut out. but the movies are good too because they were really well done. a lot of time was put into them, and it showed.
Harry potter rocks!

Keely Pederson
No broom

Postby Keely Pederson » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:36 pm

Well, usually I'd adamently say that books are always better than the movies. But...in LOTR's case...I think I'll make an exception. The books are all just so dull and they drag on from one extremely long conversation to another. The books lack in suspense, and tenseness and stuff. No offense to Tolkein; he had a totally great idea in creating LOTR. But he should've cut down on the talk scenes and cut to the excitement and such.

The movies, on the other hand, have excitement, danger, AND talk scenes (for those people that stand by their belief that long talk scenes are cool).

Plus, the movies have Orlando Bloom, and the books don't.
Last edited by Keely Pederson on Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAMEN!!!!!!

Save the Chlorofleorocarbons!

Enjoy life. Enjoy the Love Ducks.

Silvio Dante
No broom

Postby Silvio Dante » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:51 am

I would have to go with the books being better than the movies if you are a real fan as they are just so much more detailed and involve extra story lines and more excitement all round. But in saying that the movies take nothing away from the legacy of the books and the story it portrails.

Nettie Dumbledore
No broom

Postby Nettie Dumbledore » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:58 pm

I have read the books and from paper to film the transformation is brilliant. Pete Jackson has done the books proud.
Sig and Avi made by me.
"You only live once make the most of it"

Enya Jade
No broom

Postby Enya Jade » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:32 pm

When I saw Fellowship of the Rings for the first time, I didnt know anything about it, except what I saw in a few previews, I'd never heard of Tolkien, and was more than a little critical of the whole story, but then I heard it was a book, and my cousin had read all the books and liked them. So I thought "Why not? I love to read, and its fantasy.." So I read The Hobbit and now it is like my FAVORITE book!!! I've read the other three books at least 3 times each.
The books have so much more detail in them than the movies, the plot is slightly more complicated and takes time, in the movies, things kinda zip by, and for the sake of time Jackson had to cut parts and mix stuff a little, which is understandable, but it's not the whole story.
So I guess I mostly love the books best.
But I'm sure Mr. Tolkien would have been so pleased that his book was so beautifully brought to life by Peter Jackson. He did wonderful work in making Middle Earth real on screen. I take my hat off to him.

Sam-Thomas Woodbark
No broom

Postby Sam-Thomas Woodbark » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:00 pm

I'm one of the peoples who haven't read the book.
Which concludes, that I like the movies better...
First I just couldn't sit 3 hours and more in front of the TV, watching things, which point didn't reach to me.
Anyway later when I had some energy to watch atleast the first movie I got interested to it. Well I watched the other two parts at the following days and I kind of liked it.
About the books... (X), but I'm not really interested of getting the books (Go TV cool.gif )

(X) Edited offensive talk.
~Ruben
Last edited by Sam-Thomas Woodbark on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Janet Petsche
No broom

Postby Janet Petsche » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:32 am

I think the books are better than the movies. I have The Hobbit in one book and the trilogy combined in another book. That is the way to read them. I always hated trying to keep track of all three books when I wanted to read them.
[COLOR=green]quilting and reading is my passion.

Ivory Logins
No broom

Postby Ivory Logins » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:47 pm

well I'm kind of new here, but here goes I like both the movies have amazing effects while the books are so well written and the way it's detailed it's just mind blowing to think someone can create a world, creatures, and languages....it's like a total diffrent world...but that is kind of why people think his books and JKR's are similar...

smile.gif

Eliza Ithil
Moontrimmer

Postby Eliza Ithil » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:18 pm

I love both, there's no way I could say otherwise. Dang, I know practically every line in the movies. But the books mean more to me than the movies could, and I pity those who do not like the books. They are a piece of art that totally fill my heart and mind. If you think I'm crazy- fine, but let's see who kicks butt in the quotes from the book section! booya!
If you've ever read Eragon, it exhibits how two great fantasy stories can be written completely differently. Tolkien is amazing. I love this segment from the book, for it truly exemplifies his power:
"...high on a rocky seat upon the black knees of the Ephel Duath, stood the walls and towers... All was dark about it, earth and sky, but it was lit with light. Not the imprisoned moonlight welling through the marble walls of Minas Ithil long ago, Tower of the Moon, fair and radiant in the hollow of the hills. Paler indeed than the moon ailing in some slow eclipse was the light of it now... a corpse-light, a light that illuminated nothing"
Now, c'mon, honestly, how cool is that?!
Last edited by Eliza Ithil on Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to Jacenta, owner of Sig N Av Palace, for this amazing signature and av!
Wand: 8 3/4 inches, willow, griffin tail feather
United States

Elnariel Lasvereth
Oakshaft 79

Postby Elnariel Lasvereth » Tue May 09, 2006 6:25 pm

The books! I sooooo love the books. I read LotR the first time when I was seven and it's been my favourite book ever since (and I read A LOT). There are so many things that have been left out in the movie (not that I blame PJ, quite the contrary; he did a wonderful job). And things that were so different (the way Faramir was introduced...terrible!).
I still get goosebumps when I read them, even more than when watching the movies - and if that isn't an indication then what is tongue.gif
"I write so I shan't fade away. In every writing, I leave a piece of me, a memory, an ideal, a feeling, something. I write as I live, spontaneously, chaotically. I write so I will remember one day and realize I wasn't dreaming. I write, because I'm still alive." -unknown

Sayuri Arwen Snape
No broom

Postby Sayuri Arwen Snape » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:59 pm

Books by far.

I saw the movie between my sophomore and junior year of high school, and took a few months to get through all the books after i became fascinated by the movie. Then the second and third movies came out and i started disliking them more and more. I think they should have made Faramir to be like he was in the book, an exact opposite to his brother. See, his father, Denethor favored Boromir because of his ambition to please his father, and his personality. He saw the one ring as a gift to his father's kingdom and an asset to the good side. Faramir said in the book "Even if it lay by the highway, I would not pick it up." Then he let them go and went to take his punishment for not taking them to Gondor....in the movie you see that they get taken to Gondor because Faramir "Sends him a mighty gift." The symbolism the book bears is not there anymore.

The third movie drove me nuts. Frodo never told Sam to leave him, in fact, he believed that Gollum had some evil plan ahead, but he couldn't do a thing against him because in all reality Frodo knew there was no other way. Frodo wasn't siding with Gollum against Sam...not once. Again, there was symbolism of that in the book, that went bye bye in the movie.

Ryouko Palma
Silver Arrow

Postby Ryouko Palma » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:39 am

The books are way more in depth then the movies (and the third movie is so different in the end compared to the third book!) But in the middle of the books it gets really slow, the movies are more interesting at that point. I like them both! For me, they complete each other wink.gif
Ryouko Palma
First Year
Ravenclaw

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”