Books Or Movies?

Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Devander Darius
No broom

Postby Devander Darius » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:25 pm

i watched the movies and read the books. i read the books in between seeing TTT and ROTK. I think the movies are better because the books just seem to get dry and boring in some places. Helm's Deep is one of my favorite sequences in all of cinema. In the book it seems to be 30 pages of boringness. Just my opinion.
Last edited by Devander Darius on Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Toujours Pur"

Marguerite Daae
No broom

Postby Marguerite Daae » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:59 pm

I think the books are definitly better. The movies dont get into the story as much, they just do all of the violent parts. There is so much more to the story then they show in the movies and, ARGH, it makes me so mad mad.gif ! So yeah, thats why the books are better biggrin.gif

Dizland Graggy
No broom

Postby Dizland Graggy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:09 pm

im gonna go with the movies definitely. I dont like to think that much and thats exactly what the books made me do

Justin Time
No broom

Postby Justin Time » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:17 am

the movies.. seeing as i've never read the books... laugh.gif

Padmé Undómiel
Oakshaft 79
Location: Ravenclaw! "Eagle pride is hard to hide" Very true:)

Postby Padmé Undómiel » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:21 pm

I have to go with the books.. They are the original, they were written by the man who envisioned it all... They are so detailed, so well written, so... brilliant! I have to agree with, Tolkien himself, that the biggest fault is that they are too short! (I know most people would disagree with me, but they are so amazing, that I just want more!)

But I also have to say that I am a HUGE fan of the movies as well. They did an amazing job, and even though I don't agree with every cange, but I understand, and it is hard to find better movies (yes, they are better than the Harry Potter movies, that is just a fact smile.gif )
Last edited by Padmé Undómiel on Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks to the amazing Alisha at the Sig 'N Av Palace!

Wand: 8 1/2 inches, holly tree, leprechaun hair core

Hazel Goldenrod
No broom

Postby Hazel Goldenrod » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:48 pm

I'd have to say the books are better, just because they had to cut a lot of scenes out to make the movies. I think Peter Jackson made the best Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. There were others, too. The others were bad, I've seen them. One was just cartoon (most people have probably seen these), and the other was live action combined with cartoon.... It was WEIRD....

Rose Weasley
No broom

Postby Rose Weasley » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:47 pm

Well i thought that the books were better then the movies... the books of corse had a lot more detail and story plots that wernt put into the movies... almost like the harry potter books and movies. however if you are going to read the books make sure you have a lot of spare time... it took me over a year to read all of them.

Rose

Hazel Goldenrod
No broom

Postby Hazel Goldenrod » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:21 pm

It took me only about 2 months to read the books, but that's because I spent every waking (and some I should have been sleeping) moment reading them!

Lourdes Rowan
No broom

Postby Lourdes Rowan » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:31 pm

I'll be honest - I've read The Hobbit, and I started the Fellowship of the Ring, but I found the first few pages excruciatingly boring, so I couldn't get through them. However, I have the Extended Versions of all three movies, so naturally, I love the movies more. However, I fully intend to sit down and actually read through the books. I promise.
"You criticize and detest in others the faults you see in yourself or that you fear others see in you."
-Zachary Podolsky, Harvard Crimson columnist

Thalia Muna
No broom

Postby Thalia Muna » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:10 am

I preferred the movies, simply because:
1. The books are very long-winded and have a half-an-hour-reading-time explanation for everything.
2. Its easier to sit on my bum and just watch, than actually have to use my mind and read!

Forgive me for my lazy attitude.. I have read FotR, but it took me FOREVER to do so, and since then I have just never attempted the other two.
Last edited by Thalia Muna on Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cyriel Aurorus
No broom

Postby Cyriel Aurorus » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:03 pm

Definatley the books. I like movies too, of course, but the books are just amazing biggrin.gif Well... actually I almost always like books better then movies, so I don't count rolleyes.gif
|Cyriel Bowl of D00m! \o/|cy602|Fifth Year|Prefect|
|SPD|Spice Squad|Paw Print|LCPP Head|Teh Ubar|

Vivian Durdenski
No broom

Postby Vivian Durdenski » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:08 pm

Books - I liked them. The film bored me.

Taylore Watson
No broom

Postby Taylore Watson » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:55 pm

Well, I have not really read all of the books, but I think that so far they are pretty much the same.

Kris Weasley
No broom

Postby Kris Weasley » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:37 am

I have read the books and watched the movies. I'd prefer the books because they are the real thing, they have details. Movies can sometimes change the point of view.
Siggy By Cho D.@ SignaturePalace
Ron:
Wish the lunch trolley would hurry up, I'm starving.

Scyldings Renata
No broom

Postby Scyldings Renata » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:03 am

I like both of them, but I really prefer the books because they have a lot of things that is impossible to put in a 3 hours movie. biggrin.gif

Lavendie Bregell
No broom

Postby Lavendie Bregell » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:53 pm

Definetly I prefer the books,although they were rather hard for me when I was 10.Now I'm one year older and understand them better,also I can imagine landscapes,creatures,places and people better.Movies were also splendid,but the places and landscape in the movies didn't fit with my imagination at all.I usually prefer books to movies.

Signature from the wonderful ID card shop!

Amanda Green
No broom

Postby Amanda Green » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:49 am

I would have to say that the books are better in my opinion because there is more content and depth in the plot.
Also I love the little songs and poems that all the characters recite through out the books.
Buffy: What happened to Xander?
Giles: He kept poking me with his hook. I sent him over to charmed objects. With any luck, he'll poke the wrong one and end up in an alternative dimension inhabited by a 50-foot Giles that squishes annoying, teeny pirates

Taylore Watson
No broom

Postby Taylore Watson » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:00 pm

Taylore Watson wrote:Well, I have not really read all of the books, but I think that so far they are pretty much the same.

OK never mind I definatly like the books better even though the movies are fantastic too.

Nina Cecka
No broom

Postby Nina Cecka » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:34 am

Definantly the books. They explain everything in so much detail. Actually I'm mad at the movies mad.gif They didn't include Tom Bombidal (is that spelled right?) and he's one of my favorite characters. But definantly the books

Before you critize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you critize them you are a mile away and you have their shoes. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Wand: 15 inches from a maple tree, with a dragon claw core

Pets: One cat named Starlene.

October Jackson
No broom

Postby October Jackson » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:36 am

I really like them both.

Usually I prefer books to films, but I don't think I'd ever have read these books if I hadn't seen the first movie. I'm not really into fantasy and the series had never appealed to me.

Now that I've read the books, I really like them. But I've also watched all the "Making of" DVD extras, and am in complete awe of the filmmaking process and the incredible detail that went into these movies. It's unlike any other book adaptation I've ever seen.

OK, the movies miss a lot out from the books, but I actually don't mind that at all, since they would have been incredibly long and boring if they'd included everything. Also, if they'd included every detail, it would be less fun going back and reading the books! Just like with the Harry Potter movies, it's nice when there's still quite a bit left in the books which isn't in the movies, so you can enjoy both independently.
"His name was... was..." Hagrid swallowed.
"Can't you write it down?" Harry suggested.
"Nah, can't spell it. All right -- Voldemort." He shuddered. "Don't make me say it again -- it's trademarked. Do you want me to get sued?"
(Bandersnatch, TLC comments)

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”