Books Or Movies?

Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Isabel Moon
No broom

Postby Isabel Moon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:00 am

LOTR is the exception for me on this question, and I actually like the movies better than the books. With most other things, it's the books (as in Harry Potter) because there's so much more in the books that you don't see in the movies. But...with the LOTR books...I got a little bored. I think the characters are more animated and interesting in the movies. Part of this, I will admit, is because there's some added humor in the movies. But I did like the books. I just don't think I'd ever read them again. As opposed to the movies, which I watch all the time.

Lindsey Hyde-Phoenix
No broom

Postby Lindsey Hyde-Phoenix » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:05 pm

I agree with Isabel. I always prefer a book over a movie, but in this case, the books are long and intimidating and difficult to read, the plot makes less sense in text than it does on film (perhaps because they simplified it in the movie), the characters are easier to relate to as people in the movie. I didn't dislike the books exactly, but I've read them once and I doubt I'll read them again for awhile. They just failed to keep my attention.
Gryfftoberfest '09 - are you ready!?

Charlaine Flimel
No broom

Postby Charlaine Flimel » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:54 am

Well, I have never actually read the books. I do have them on my to read list though! I started reading The Hobbit, so that's a start. I figure if I get in the prelude, the LOTR books will be easier to read. I have watched the movies though, several times, and I love them! I cannot get enough of them. They are long, but that is the great part of it. The story is very detailed. Plus, it helps that it is a fantasy! I love fantasy! So, if you haven't guessed it yet, I would have to say movies, but that might change after I have read the books. We shall see!

St.John Aloisius Sloots
No broom

Postby St.John Aloisius Sloots » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:28 pm

I was eight when I began reading LotR. It took me a full two years of off-and-on reading to finish them. I will never forget how deeply Gandalf's death affected me. I was heart broken. I re-read that chapter "The Bridge at Khazad-dum" hoping I had mis-read something. Later when he reappears as Gandalf the White, I was so surprised and pleased. I so very much enjoyed the experience, the details and interaction with the text that I plowed through the balance of the series...slowly...but surely. Though a movie experience can be the same in some respects, it is limited in others. I've read the LotR 16 times in full; I've only watched the movie series from start to finish once. Though I love the visuals--a picture is worth a thousand words--I prefer the print.

Hermionie Miranda
Oakshaft 79

Postby Hermionie Miranda » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:13 pm

It actually depends. It's complicated, it depends on what books or movies and certain genres and more. But I prefer books because you can actually enter the adventure with the characters. A movie will make you feel something inside, but a book is the door to adventures! A book can be enjoyed many times, but a movie can get boring after a while. Thus, I prefer books over movies.
Hufflepuff Prefect
Fel's Bag Carrier and Hufflepuff Seer *wink wink*
Avatar by Dario Sehovic, Signature made by myself

Lily Diggory
No broom

Postby Lily Diggory » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:27 pm

The books are so much better than the movies. They last longer and are more detailed.
Badger Pride! Hufflepuff to win the House Cup 2011!

Lorraine Laroche
No broom

Postby Lorraine Laroche » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Books, of course.
"...Bienheureux celui-là qui peut avec amour

Saluer son coucher plus glorieux qu'un rêve!..."

Pia Hwang
No broom

Postby Pia Hwang » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:39 am

Books ofc. :) bcs i think the books are more detail and more complete.. :)
but the movie is good too ^^

Arya Adrianiel
No broom

Postby Arya Adrianiel » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:10 pm

The books are better of course! No movie ever made of Lord of the Rings could ever top what Tolkien wrote. However, the movie PJ created are absolutely wonderful adaptations of the books, some of the best book to movie adaptations I have ever seen.

Abigail Granger
No broom

Postby Abigail Granger » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:56 pm

*takes a deep breath*

Well... obviously I love the books because Tolkien is one of my favorite writers and he wrote a beautiful adventures, imagined a world that doesn't existed, a new fantastic language and wonderful love story by using his imagination. What more do you want from a writer?

About the films... yes, I like it too because Peter Jackson is a fanatic of this saga and he respected the story and characters more than other people would have done with other books.

But I prefer the books, at the end.

Demetri Evans
No broom

Postby Demetri Evans » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:12 pm

I've read all the books and the movie. I think the book remains the most interesting, because as powerful as anything the director wanted to display the contents of the book in the film still can not display the entire storyline in with a good book or our imagination will fill the book. Harry Potter Similarly, when attention is always there is a difference between the book and the movie. :rolleyes:

DEMETRI EVANS de997
RAVENCLAW FIRST YEAR
Member of HOL TOLKIEN SOCIETY HARRY POTTER AND TWILIGHT LOVER
Member of HOL BOOK CLUB Member of HOL FIRST FRIEND PROJECT

Member of HOL PPC Member of SI

Angel Pevensie
No broom

Postby Angel Pevensie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:45 am

When the Fellowship of the Ring movie came out, I watched it right away. I was intrigued by the trailer and didn't know that the movie was adapted from a very famous book. So it was because of the awesome first movie that I was interested in finding, reading and collecting the books. I wanted to know what would happen on the second movie before it came out.

It turned out that I was so absorbed and amazed by the books. Surely, the books are more detailed than the movies. And some of the events in the books were altered. But the movies really helped me imagining the content of the books in my mind.

In my opinion, both the books and movies are beautiful. The books make me want to read them over and over again while the movies never bored me from time to time.

Andie Smith
No broom

Postby Andie Smith » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:26 pm

I like the books better, I don't even have to think about it. I reckon it's really hard for me liking film adaptations of books better than the books themselves. That has only happened with "The Princess Diaries" and "Melissa P." and that's because the girls in the books are really stupid (and yeah, I know Melissa is real and happen to be the writer of that ridiculous semi-autobiographical diary novel).

Electra Walker
No broom

Postby Electra Walker » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:19 am

The books were doubtless better than the movies, but that doesn't mean that the movies weren't amazing! I liked both, it's just that I've always liked reading more than watching movies.
Electra Walker - Slytherin First Year - el1233

Selene Granger
No broom

Postby Selene Granger » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:20 am

Books, of course, because films missed some important parts.

Hope Campbell
No broom

Postby Hope Campbell » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:27 pm

Hmm...that's a bit of a tough one for me. I adore the books and there were certain things the movies changed or left out that I didn't care for but...in the end I'd have to say the movies were my favorite if only because they make the content more easy to process than the books. Lol I'm just lazy I guess.
Hope Davis

"There is no frigate like a book, to take us lands away..." ~Emily Dickenson

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.â€￾ ~ C.S. Lewis

Kailey Jones
No broom

Postby Kailey Jones » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:50 am

Books, of course.
(\___/)
(='-'=)
(")_(")

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”