Who Is Your Fav. Lotr Character?

Everything J.R.R. Tolkien
Zachary Jameson
No broom

Postby Zachary Jameson » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:38 pm

I love Gandalf! One of the most powerful wizards in the world other than Albus Dumbledore
Zachary Jameson

Second Year Grffyindor

Jamie Storm
No broom

Postby Jamie Storm » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:39 pm

Legolas by far. Dem archery and elven knives skills. Plus I like how his character progresses, especially in his friendship with Gimli.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -Dr. Seuss

Electra Walker
No broom

Postby Electra Walker » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:04 am

My favourite character is Legolas, but Aragorn comes in at a close second. I just really liked the way the characters were portrayed, both in the books and in the movies. ^__^
Electra Walker - Slytherin First Year - el1233

Prof. Nina Messersmith
No broom

Postby Prof. Nina Messersmith » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:00 am

Legolas has always been my favorite. (First in the books and then especially on the big screen!) Even inspired me to take up archery! (Im no good.... lol)

Selene Granger
No broom

Postby Selene Granger » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:18 am

Eowyn, yeah, she is my heroine! She seems that she does not need any help, she is so strong, courage and beautiful!

Eowyn is our queen! ;)
Last edited by Selene Granger on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alessandra Grace
No broom

Postby Alessandra Grace » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:13 pm

Aragorn is my favorite, but Legolas is very nice and cute (in the movie ^_^ )

I also like Sam, for being so simple and practical, for his loyalty to Frodo :)
Hear me roar!

Ayne Greensleeves
No broom

Postby Ayne Greensleeves » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:25 pm

My favorite character is Aragorn. But I really love everyone in the Fellowship, plus Faramir.

Rhiannon Moonstone
No broom

Postby Rhiannon Moonstone » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:11 am

I like Galadriel and legolas the best!

Taylor Cassie Summerlyn
No broom

Postby Taylor Cassie Summerlyn » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:09 am

It's been a while since I've seen the movies and I've never read the books, but I think my favorite was Arwen. I liked her because she was a good example of a strong female character, and with books written during that time period, those are few and far between.

Ailime Wright
No broom

Postby Ailime Wright » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:03 pm

Hmm it's such a tough one. One thing I'm sure of: I never liked Frodo.
But I did like Faramir's character a lot. He was taught, considering he was always in the shadow of his brother, even after Boromir's death. And his sacrifice act by going in a battle, that was already lost, made me so furious, but so proud of him!
Last edited by Ailime Wright on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katherine Evans
No broom

Re: Who Is Your Fav. Lotr Character?

Postby Katherine Evans » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:34 am

It's quite hard to pick a character when so many are examples of great strength and kindness. Every time I go to pick a character, I immediately turn round because another is equally as great. And while it may be that only one can truly be a favorite, they will all hold a place in my heart. So I suppose, if I must decide, I'll start with the Hobbit first.

The first time I ever read the Hobbit, was tenth grade and I was sixteen years old. I was grounded for neglecting school work, the only thing I ever seemed to get punished for. Perhaps muggle schooling just wasn't my cup of tea. Grounding in my house meant you couldn't use electronics and TV was only allowed if someone else was watching it. So my father brought me downstairs and sat me down, told me to pick a book and we'd read for a while. He picked his and I picked mine; I'm eternally grateful I chose as I did. I hadn't yet read the Hobbit, I had only watched the Lord of the Rings movies a thousand times. I figured it was time I learned of Bilbo Baggins and his tale. I marked my book about twelve or so chapters in, setting a stopping place for the night. And so I began, in no time reaching my marker. I was so enthralled I pushed on, setting my marker a few more chapters away. Again and again I repeated this process until the entire book was finished. I remember feeling as though I had underwent a journey myself. There had been laughter and intrigue and fear and tears. I was in love. Never since have I read a book that made me feel quite as that one. All the more reason that when the movies came out I was deeply saddened (they didn't live up to the expectations LotR has since set.) However, it only strengthened my love for my Hobbit companion, Bilbo. The change he underwent in the book endears him to me and always will. It's cliche to like the main character I know, "everyone likes him." It doesn't change the fact of Bilbo's kindness nor his bravery. It doesn't undermine the pain he will ultimately put himself through at being a bearer of the ring. I felt for him in his loss of Thorin, in his newfound sense of self upon returning to Bag End. Bilbo Baggins will always be the hero of the story to me.

Now, as I've said, I've watched the Lord of the Rings more times than I care to count. Every month since middle school I set aside one weekend to simply sit back and watch the full, extended spectacle that is the trilogy. The characters endeared themselves to me and I knew their every word as if it were my own. I will always consider myself the Fellowships 10th walker, as I have traveled with them a million times, and will do so a million more. My favorite character from this particular adventure is another fan favorite, though I suppose in their own right they all are. Aragorn, son of Arathorn, Dunedain Ranger of the North, and heir to Isilduir, once King of Gondor. Estel. A man who fought the sways of the Dark Lord and won. A man who's kindness I have not known in my own world. He is my favorite here. When I was younger, I was all about the Mirkwood Prince, Legolas. He was beautiful, and skilled; witty and brooding. And now still, I love him dearly. But as I've grown, I've come to appreciate the man that Aragorn is all the more. He was everything I wanted to be. Educated in the tongues of Elves, gifted with long life, and strong in every since of the word. A perfect ruler; a perfect man. One who would have gladly gave his life for Frodo; would have gladly gone with him until the end. He was valiant and wise. He loved with his whole heart a woman who loved him deeply in return. It's what I envy most about him I think, and what makes him my favorite character. His ability to love so wholly. It is unlike any love I have seen. His love did not stop at Arwen. He loved his Fellowship, his friends. He was a man I could have stood behind. When he gave his speech at the Black Gate, ready to lead thousands of men to fight, every time I want to go with him. The words resound within me and I want to fight. To stand along side him and forward his cause. In the words of dearest Boromir, "I would have followed you, my brother. My Captain. My King."

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:58 am

I have goose-bumps reading your post, Katherine. Thank you for refreshing my enthusiasm for all things Tolkien.

I've this Image and this and this which you might recognize.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Lucy Tyler
No broom

Postby Lucy Tyler » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:22 pm

Haha, my response is going to be so simplistic compared to the one above, but I'm fairly new to love of LOTR, so I haven't got any incredibly in-depth opinions yet.

Aside from an incredible love of all the amazingness that is Sam, I gained a few new favourites upon watching the movies recently- a friend had a marathon of all the extended LOTR movies for her 21st birthday, and it struck me how very, very pretty Legolas is. Seriously, all the elves actually, have such pretty hair. Especially the blokes. I love braiding my hair, and I spent half the movie staring at all the pretty everywhere. Hardly any deep character analysis there, nor anything relevant to the books, but it's my most recent revelation :)

Vanessa Hewitt
No broom

Postby Vanessa Hewitt » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:54 am

It's quite hard for me to pick a favourite character, as I feel a lot of them have amazing personalities that just reached out to me. My top three are probably Sam, Aragorn, and Legolas. I felt like Sam and Aragorn both emitted a sense of loyalty, and I loved just how witty (and how gorgeous) Legolas was. I can't say I've watched the movies or read the books that many times so as to have a deeper understanding of the characters, but as for now, these three are the ones that really stand out to me.

Aidan Baker
No broom

Postby Aidan Baker » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:27 am

I'm a big Aragorn fan as well, but Sam is my favorite. If I was going to be one of the people in this series, i have no doubt it would be a Samlike person.

Austin Ollivander Black
Oakshaft 79

Postby Austin Ollivander Black » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:36 am

Aragorn was always my favorite. He always seemed brave but not foolish. Also he was a ranger and a survivalist.
Image RQT 2017/18

Return to “HOL Tolkien Society”