SQL 2018 Questions and Answers

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

SQL 2018 Questions and Answers

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:40 pm

If you have questions about SQL 2018, please ask them in here. :)

We think a lot of the questions will be answered in our initial write-up for the activity, which will be showing up as soon as we get a little more feedback of what folks want. We already have rough-outs of 'ideas', just wanting to see who all wants to do what for which one we choose.

In the meantime, a general question was posed:
Prof. Rorey Padfoot wrote: C) Other broom games (e.g. Creaothceann, Quodpot, Xany, and similar games) Maybe? I have never played any of these, so maybe.... I could be a fill in if need be? Does this require a team sign up?
Everyone who signs up will be on a team. Being on the team means you may engage in any of the activities posed, and what you do goes towards the credit of that team. :) If you choose to participate in only one thing, say, forum activities, then that is great!

We want this to be available for everyone to play in and enjoy, as much as possible.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Two

Re: SQL 2018 Questions and Answers

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:56 pm

Sounds good and thanks,

So since I will be put on a team, how do you suggest I answer then for A. I don't mind playing, but would rather be a fill in. I am not one that HAS to play in every game, so I am fine to be a back up all summer and never play. lol I do want to definitely participate in D and C just depends if I can grasp the concepts of the games. :)
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~pr_pad~*~Hufflepuff Co-HoH~
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:18 pm

Prof. Rorey Padfoot wrote:Sounds good and thanks,

So since I will be put on a team, how do you suggest I answer then for A. I don't mind playing, but would rather be a fill in. I am not one that HAS to play in every game, so I am fine to be a back up all summer and never play. lol I do want to definitely participate in D and C just depends if I can grasp the concepts of the games. :)
There will be no requirements for people on teams to play Quaffle. Or play Snitch (whew). :D If you are around to play Quaffle, great! Being a back-up is great! When we find out what people prefer, then we'll be looking at all the preferences, and probable Quaffle abilities and then figure out teams to be as even as we can. Remember that 'team points' will be earned by Forum activities along with all the rest, so anyone who participates -- does anything -- is doing stuff for the team. :)

You answer exactly as you feel. That's what we're wanting. When folks do what they want to do, sign up and/or volunteer to do, that is when we all have fun.

The IRC games themselves will be written up and posted in the forum, like we've done before, and then explained in the game room, too before the games start. (I think there is already a write-up someplace, explaining the various games, which is visible to everyone. But maybe it got tidied away.)

As for grasping the concepts of the games ... one major concept is this: "Cody go boom!" That can be interchangeable with "Will go boom!"
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Katelin Ross
Oakshaft 79

Post by Katelin Ross » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:55 am

Can we make sure Will goes boom!!
Will Lestrange
Cleansweep One

Post by Will Lestrange » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:19 am

Katelin Ross wrote:Can we make sure Will goes boom!!
"Signs point to yes" but be careful: wishing that a player goes boom is strongly associated with ending up on the same team as them! ;)
Ingvild Ogden
No broom

Post by Ingvild Ogden » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:26 am

Can anyone join? Haha, very new to all this you know, so I probably won't be a great asset.. But would love to join in every once in a while :)
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:14 pm

Ingvild! Yes, anyone may join. You don't even have to wrestle a troll to get in.

Go ahead and post in here and we'll add you to a team.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:24 pm

Question received: I see the teams have been posted. May I still sign up?

Answer: Yes! Sign up and still indicate in which things you wish to participate, please.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:56 pm

Another question received: How were the teams chosen?

Answer: Mostly by looking at who wanted to play snitch! We know who the experienced Seekers are, and split them up into two groups who would, hopefully, be equal in ability. (Yes, we're aware that luck plays a part of Snitch play, but the magic 8-ball was also used ...). Then the remaining persons who play Quaffle were looked at, and we split them up into two groups who would hopefully be equal in ability. Then a random sorter was used for the rest (which wasn't very many).
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:24 pm

Zen wrote this in SQL 2018 REF Sign-Up Post
Zen McGregor wrote:Do you need to be an official ref? If not, I'd like to give it a try. I am very familiar with the rules and would be happy to try out for Quaffle ref. I am available pretty much any time except next Friday during the day. I am available in the Friday evening, though.
If your House team captain says you are able to be a Quaffle ref, that works -- and have her add you to the roster here. Otherwise, sure, let's figure out a try-out time. I'll send you a PM with CC to Will, and we can, one of us, or both, gather together some folks and give you a try-out. :)

Reason for putting this in here is because there might be others of you wishing to ref too! We are happy to help you find your feet as a Ref.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:38 pm

Two questions!

One was already alluded to, but this is an expansion of the answer:
Question: People are sending in stuff for forum activities and there is the first IRC games tomorrow. Can I still sign up? For how long a time period may I sign up? Can I do the forum things which were posted prior to me signing up?
Answer: You may still sign up. :) As for time period of signing up ... we hadn't yet discussed when it closes. Yes, you can do the forum activities which are done prior to your signing up, since they are all due at the end of the activity. You might receive fewer points for your team, doing it after the first week of posting, but ... 3 is better than none? Thing is, you have BE signed up in order to participate in the IRC games and Quaffle play.

Question: Do I have to be on a team in order to be a Reff?
Answer: No. You do, however, have to have your name on the Official House Ref list OR demonstrate your proficiency with Will and/or me before turning you loose on Flanders and Transylvania.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:08 pm

Question: I see there are a bunch of folks signed up on the teams. That means that if everyone shows up, on a Quaffle Saturday, not everyone will play. Do I still go in on a Quaffle Saturday?

Answer: Yes. See this post. The Quaffle game 'time periods' will not be played as in House games. There will be three 15 minute periods of playing Quaffle, with a 3 minute break between each period. If deemed something which is wanted, substitutions are allowed at the break. The ref will be given a new line-up for the second period at break time between first and second periods, and, if needed, the ref will be given a new line-up for the third period between second and third periods. The very latest you can show up and earn team points (and be substituted in) is by the beginning of the third period of play -- but the team captain has to GIVE the new line-up to the ref in that 3-minute break period, so show up in time for him or her to be able to do so. Once the new line-up is submitted to the ref, that's it!

Return to “SQL 2018”