Musical Statements

Music Discussions Go Here
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Musical Statements

Post by Shiloh Adlar » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:01 am

Many artists throughout the years have used music to make major statements about things going on in the world. We have Michael Jackson with "Black or White" and "We are the World" to name a couple, Pink's "What About Us," Zolita's "Fight Like a Girl," Logic's "1-800-273-8255," and very recently, Charlie Puth's new song "Change," which he debuted at March for Our Lives Los Angeles.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you like music that makes a statement? There are many people who disagree with entertainers getting involved in such things because they're only there to "entertain us," but then there are other people who believe it is their job to make statements because they have influence due to their careers. Do you have any thoughts on this?

This can be taken as a debate, so let me state that everyone's opinion on this matter counts. No one is right or wrong, and we are all allowed to believe how we will.

I personally think that it should be up to the artist. I love when artists use their music or talents to make a statement about something that is important to them. I think it can speak volumes. However, I do not believe it is their duty.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Kendra Givens
Oakshaft 79

Re: Musical Statements

Post by Kendra Givens » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:18 am

I think the beauty of art is that it's always an expression of the artist. A LOT of Pink's songs have very powerful, poignant messages and I love her for that. I know I have artists I enjoy just for fun, entertaining songs, and others that I love to listen to because of the power of the message. I think these kinds of messages can be a voice for victims, loved ones, or people who want to be heard but are hesitant to speak up for themselves.

Everything I do now comes to me through the lens of an educator, so this also makes me think of the teenagers I work with every day. When their favorite artists are making statements about society and demanding change, I think the kids identify with it and run with it. I've heard kids have meaningful conversations about some of the songs you've mentioned. I've heard kids ask adults questions based on the songs they're listening to. It's exciting seeing our next generation of adults having these important conversations already, and I'm glad they have artists that they identify with to help them begin those conversations.

Return to “Music Talk”