Recommend To A Friend

Music Discussions Go Here

Moderator: Shiloh Adlar

Peaches Squangler
No broom

Postby Peaches Squangler » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:42 am

I agree with Ilona and Hailey...I really like the Killers because they have a cool sound!!!
I also like the group called Hellogoodbye I dont know if anyones ever heard of them but they are really good! The only thing is that their cd only has 6 songs so that makes me sad!! I also like Relient K. They are alternative rock except i was surprised to find out that they are actually a christian band too...i couldnt even notice! Usually I dont listen to christian bands because i think that they are just going to sing like...i dont no songs about church or god but they dont at all! not that thats bad...

Evilalin Black
No broom

Postby Evilalin Black » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:39 am

oooh...i loooove recommend threads. I recommend you listen to Floord They are a local band in my town but you can go online and buy their cd. They are so awsome. One day they will make it big and it'll be sooo awsome. The lead singer is a teacher at my school and we hang out all the time.
Drama Club Admin
Cute Little Hufflepuff First Year
Wand: 8in redwood with Pheonix Feather
Pet:A tabby kitten named Azzie and an owl named Freesha

Aiden Allery
No broom

Postby Aiden Allery » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:19 am

I love recommending music (: So sorry if this is long.
Anyway, I listen to The Get Up Kids quite a bit. They do the whole "emo" thing without sounding as whiny as many bands in the genre do. Their live album, recorded in Lawrence Kansas isn't too bad, but it doesn't have some of their best songs on it. The best songs by them (in my opinion) are Campfire Kansas and Mass Pike --- though the most well known song is probably Holiday. They've broken up - but before they did, they put on one hell of a show.
I found the Feathermerchants on accident. I picked up the CD in a small local music shop, and I've been hooked ever since. The vocals are great, and the lyrics are the kind that kind of draw you in and tell you a story.
I also love 311 - I got into them when I was a lot younger, and they kind of stuck with me. They're this weird blend of marijuana-laced rock/rap, and I kinda like that they're different. Good songs to check out are Come Original and Down.
Someone already mentioned Nine Days, but their song Bitter Days, on the Madding Crowd album is one of my favorites as well.
Anna Nalick is an artist I heard on the radio really late one night, and I kind of fell for her song "Breathe", that's on the radio right now. I didn't expect the rest of her stuff to be so good. Then I bought Wreck of the Day and was pleasantly surprised. The album's emotional without sounding whiny or needy. My favorite song is Wreck of the Day. The line "I'd cheat destiny just to be near you.." is one of my favorites.
Last, but never least is Iron and Wine. My drama teacher/theater advisor who is pretty awesome introduced our cast to them, and we've all been kind of stuck. They, for no particular reason make me think of roller derby. They have a unique sound, which is something a lot of people miss in music today. My personal favorite is Promising Light.
| The universe is made of stories , not of atoms |
| Aiden | First-Year Ravenclaw | Storyteller |

Artemis Jill Tipple
No broom

Postby Artemis Jill Tipple » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:15 am

I definitely recommend Hale. It's a band here in the philippines and most of their songs are melancholic ... it's a must-hear album ... i swear they're good! if any are interested to hear some of their songs...just pm me...biggrin.gif

Naomi Jourdain
No broom

Postby Naomi Jourdain » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:03 am

Yaaaaaaaa!

I would definately reccommend Kenny Loggins In the Woods. That is one everyone must have. I have an eclectic personality for music. I also think Gerschwin is wonderful! I also love Barbera, ok,it me but it's true.

Nami blink.gif
Last edited by Naomi Jourdain on Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every man's life is a fairy tale
written by God's fingers."
Hans Christian Anderson

Seren Edwards
No broom

Postby Seren Edwards » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:16 am

An amazing album that I bought on a whim and fell in love witn is A Grand don't come for free by The Streets. It tells the story of a young "bloke" who is having a really bad couple of weeks. I have never listened to an album that has a story running through all of the tracks on the album.

Favourite tracks on the album are Blinded by the lights, Dry your eyes and Empty cans. Hope you give it ago,also they released a track a few years ago that I discovered on launch called push things forward, really great. smile.gif

Also one of my all time favourites are Crowded House. Temple of the low men or woodface are 2 of their albums which you would probably recognise a few tracks from.

Alanna Snape
No broom

Postby Alanna Snape » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:55 pm

I'd have to recomend Phil Collins. Most of his songs have a lot of meaning to them or, at least, his songs from 'Brother Bear' do...

Henrietta Blackshire
No broom

Postby Henrietta Blackshire » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:37 am

Fast answer:
Bjork and Sigur Ros.
Very mellow music with a good soul and interesting beats and vocals.
No sig. Until I resize it!

Aiden Allery
No broom

Postby Aiden Allery » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:20 pm

Seren Edwards wrote:An amazing album that I bought on a whim and fell in love witn is A Grand don't come for free by The Streets. 

I love that album. (: Its slowly growing to be one of my favorites.
| The universe is made of stories , not of atoms |
| Aiden | First-Year Ravenclaw | Storyteller |

Susan Henderson

Postby Susan Henderson » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:25 am

This is a great thread. I have so many bands I'm going to look up now to get a taster, and a lot of the ones mentioned I already know and love. Especially Travis as I met them 2 years ago before one of their gigs in Glasgow. It was just before Neil broke his back.

Anyway, back to the point of this reply. I would definitely reccomend The Bluetones. They're my favourite band and keep surprising me with where the music can go. They have so many great ballad type songs, and up beat jumping songs it's easy to find one to suit whatever mood you find yourself in. Also, they're playing "up north" here in Scotland a few times this year which is even better, with another album on the way soon. biggrin.gif

Prof. Hailey Potter
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Hailey Potter » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:36 am

Here's one for you "Trance/pop" lovers out there that hasn't been suggested yet:
Belgium's DHT. The music is all remakes mixed and then sang by a girl named Edmee Daenen. She has an amazing voice, and all the songs are either Trance-y or piano ballad-y. *nods* Listen to them.... it's all really good.
Gryffindor Professor|HOL 101, An Introduction to Divination, and Advanced Divination
Spice Squad Captain|Paw Print EiC|Lions' Pride

Hazel Kaprano
Oakshaft 79

Postby Hazel Kaprano » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:38 am

Recommedation thread Whoot! laugh.gif I recommend Simple Plan. They're just so awesome, especially their song, Untitled. Shut Up and Welcome To My Life are worth listening. And I give Green Day and Good Charlotte two thumbs up! Kelly Clarkson, Hilary Duff, Gwen Stefani, and Aly and AJ Michalka's songs are cool too! I recommend you getting their recent CDs, they totally rock!

Artemis Jill Tipple wrote:I definitely recommend Hale. It's a band here in the philippines and most of their songs are melancholic ...

I think I've heard of them before, but I'm not sure I've heard their songs. Well anyway...in the Philippines Sarah Geronimo's Can This Be Love is so awesome! Sheryn Regis is so cool too, belting out those high notes perfectly...I admire both of them!
Hazel Kaprano | Ravenclaw

Ellie Prewett
No broom

Postby Ellie Prewett » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:58 am

Well, in case someone else hasn't reccommended them, Flogging Molly is an awesome Irish sort of rock band, it's kinda hard to describe, but definetly check them out. And then I have to reccommend another artist, Jem , she was a welsh electronica DJ, but now she sings and it's some good stuff. Yeah, go check them out!

Oh, and Hyde , a japanese rock singer, or his band, L'arc~en~ciel , awesome songs. happy.gif
It's only against the rules if you get caught

Annielle Katzenberg
No broom

Postby Annielle Katzenberg » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:47 am

Oh, I could go on forever.

The Academy Is...
Alkaline Trio
Sunny Day Real Estate
The Promise Ring
Belle&Sebastian
JamisonParker
The Spill Canvas<33
Bright Eyes
Brand New
Plain White T's
The Blood Brothers
Boys Night Out
Rufio
Rilo Kiley
Daphne Loves Derby
From Autumn to Ashes
From First to Last
Funeral For a Friend
Circa Survive

Tons, tons more.

I say check out purevolume.net; they've got the best signed/unsigned/underground bands, let you hear their songs, download a couple (legally).
If you let me have my way, I swear I'll tear you apart.

Destiny Travbelli
No broom

Postby Destiny Travbelli » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:18 pm

I suggest listening to some of Mariah Carey's songs. She is a great singer!!

Cheerleader on the Gryffindor Special Sprit Squad!!
GO-GO-Gryffindor!!

Asteria Moonglow
No broom

Postby Asteria Moonglow » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:47 am

I highly recommend Muse, The Postal Service and Dispatch! Three great bands with three completely different sounds...they're all worth checking out though! Other good ones are Dashboard Confessional, Guster, and Hawthorne Heights....oh and Head Automatica too!
Asteria Moonglow ll Ravenclaw ll as601 ll Ravenclaw Quidditch Team l Book Club l Drama Club l Writer's Society ll

Sofia Silhouet
No broom

Postby Sofia Silhouet » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:09 am

Let's see...

I reccomend The Postal Service, Death Cab For Cutie, Mae, and Hot Hot Heat smile.gif
Thanks to Cho Delacour @ Sig N Av Palace for my signature and avatar!
Wand: Unicorn Hair, Mahogany, 8 Inches

Rebecca Peck
No broom

Postby Rebecca Peck » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:22 am

A band I recommend is Green Day because they are really cool. Their music is punk. They write their own songs. Most of the songs are about life and what goes wrong in life. I recommend them to people aged 13-whatever age as they have swearing in almost all of their songs.
Last edited by Rebecca Peck on Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Made by Cho Delacour in Siganture Palace

Wand: 11 inches, Mahogany, Unicorn hair
Pets: An Eagle owl called Spock
Kingdom: Silver Starfruit
Blood: Pure blooded and proud to be a Hufflepuff

Prof. Angelus Darklost
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Angelus Darklost » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:07 pm

Time to add a couple more to this list of artists to recommend:

Deep Dish is a DJ duo that do their own albums, but also mix songs for quite a few mainstream Pop artists. They're newest album, George Is On, is quite an impressive collections of their current work. Definitely a great Dance / Trance / Techno / Electronica /Get Up And Shake Your Groove Thang kind duo.

Mediaeval Baebes is another group I like quite a bit. Some of their stuff is way too mellow for me, but that's what you get from a group trying to recreate Renaissance music...with a modern twist. I'm really liking their latest album, Mirabalis though. A few mellow songs on there, but none that make you sleepy.
"The monkey may be off your back, but that doesn't mean the circus has left town." -- George Carlin

Casey Casewin
No broom

Postby Casey Casewin » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:46 pm

ok Drop Kick Murphys - Ther like a rock celtic music type I came across them one day by looking for the Wild Rover tab for guitar. It's great Their music is different I like itbecause it has and Irish twist to it.

Seether - good band I like the majority of their songs

Foo Fighters - I love In your Honour disc 1. that on was recomended to me by my older cousin and I want to get more of their CD's now.

barenaked Ladies - these guys are great not really rock I don't know what genre i would put them in but their songs are so good.

the Punisher soundtrack - grat soundtrack if you like seether and finger 11 and that type of music.

Return to “Music Talk”