Recommend To A Friend

Music Discussions Go Here

Moderator: Sirius Fudge

Nicole Garrison
No broom

Postby Nicole Garrison » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:09 am

Elyse Hawkings wrote:
QUOTE (Elyse Hawkings @ Jun 8 2005, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would DEFINITELY recommend The Arcade Fire to anyone who hasn't heard them. Their song 'In the Backseat' is amazing.
I would also recommend Tilly and the Wall and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs??? Really?!? REALLY?!?!? Really?!?!?!? The Yeah Yeah Yeahs?!?!? Are you frikkin' kidding me?!?!?! No one listen to her!!! They SUCK! Like, really badd! Wow. Just wow.

Nicole Garrison
No broom

Postby Nicole Garrison » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:16 am

Ok, so here are my reccomendations....Here we go:
Blood on The Dance Floor
Dot Dot Curve
The Lives of Famous Men
Chace Coy
Stephen Jerzak
I Fight Dragons
Hey Monday
Mayday Parade
Ocean Is Theory
The Devil Wears Prada
The White Tie Affair

Ok, I guess if I think of any I will edit this. in fact I prolly will knowing myself. Anyway for the first one my favs are B****es Get Stitches, Imma Monster, and S My D. YouTube itt! :)

Figaro Black
No broom

Postby Figaro Black » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:12 pm

I'm not from Britain but I would recommend U2 and tha Clash. North American recommedndations: R.E.M., the Tragically Hip, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers!

Silde Owen
No broom

Postby Silde Owen » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:19 pm

There are a lot of bands I could mention but I am just going to name one name: The Drones. Try them and see. I can totally understand if you hate them, but on the other hand you MIGHT just love them. (Prerequisities for loving The Drones: loving really loud noises, worshipping the word "alternative".)

Cassidy DeFranco
No broom

Postby Cassidy DeFranco » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:17 am

I am in love with so many bands! But I'll just list a few.
-All Time Low
-Runner Runner
-We the Kings (I actually got to meet the lead singer, Travis. It was very exciting!)
-Verona Grove
-Dreams of Leaving
-Darren Criss (not a band, but his voice is like heaven! He also played Harry Potter in A Very Potter Musical)

Dolly Frazer
No broom

Postby Dolly Frazer » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:18 am

At the moment, I would definitely recommend three of my favourite Australian bands which are For Our Hero, I Am Villain and Short Stack. They're pretty fan-girled unfortunately but they have pretty decent music. Also I would like to recommend for any punk/rock/alternative fans out there My Chemical Romance, The Used, Green Day, Fall Out Boy and The Academy Is... I have a unexpected fascination with that list.

Dolly Frazer, Ravenclaw, Sixth Year, HOLLERS Assistant, Ravenclaw RP

May Lee
Oakshaft 79

Postby May Lee » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:41 am

I like Firehouse and Linkinpark. They're awesome!! :lol:
>> Burn the evils of the world with brilliant truth <<

Nozomi Kisaragi
No broom

Postby Nozomi Kisaragi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:33 am

Christine McTague wrote:
QUOTE (Christine McTague @ Jun 4 2005, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah... I have so many I could recommend... I dont know where to begin!
Lets start with those in English though...
The Dresden Dolls are just terrific... They are genuinely artistic and are GREAT live. I should know, I just went to their concert :D . Coin Operated Boy and Half Jack are brilliant.

Amanda Palmer is such an amazing performer! She never disappoints. The Dresden Dolls and her solo work are some of the best written (and perfomed) songs ever. Picking favorites is almost impossible, but I love 'Delilah', 'Night Reconnaissance, 'Shores of California', 'S** Changes' etc...

Lili Lintball wrote:
QUOTE (Lili Lintball @ Aug 3 2008, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been really into J-rock (Japanese Rock) lately. I love the band Maximum the Hormone, a Japanese metal band. Their lyrics are fun and witty, though, and not at all scary or intimidating to those who are not familiar with heavy metal. They became more well known after their song What's up People?? became the opening theme for the popular Japanes anime, Death Note.

Are you kidding? I love MTH so much. And, I'll admit, I first heard them in the opening/ending for Death Note (just like how I got into 'Nightmare' during the 1st season). But their songs are so catchy! Even though I have no clue what they're saying... :blink:
Nao Kawakita's vocals are what I really love. Especially in 'Buiiki Kaesu!!', 'Kuso Breakin No Breakin Lily', & 'Shimi'. I also adore 'Tsume Tsume Tsume' because Ryo's vocals are just as amazing.
Lol, have you seen some of the MTH Misheard Lyrics on youtube? They are hysterical! Especially the Buiiki Kaesu one.

Nicole Garrison wrote:
QUOTE (Nicole Garrison @ Aug 14 2009, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, so here are my reccomendations....Here we go:
Blood on The Dance Floor
Dot Dot Curve
The Lives of Famous Men
Chace Coy
Stephen Jerzak
I Fight Dragons
Hey Monday
Mayday Parade
Ocean Is Theory
The Devil Wears Prada
The White Tie Affair

This forum is for recommendations, so.. you might like

'I Haunt Wizards'.

They probably aren't as in-your-face and naughty as BOTDF, but if you like harmless artists like Hey Monday, you might like them. They are electronic-ish, dance-ish, mostly pop. I found them on MySpace, and was intrigued immediately. Originally it was 3 members and they posted hilarious bulletins usually involving Peter Parker and Zac Efron in strange situations.. anyway, I'm probably not making sense. Now they are only 2 members, but still as good.
Most of their songs are available for free on soundcloud.com
You should give them a listen!
Also, Nicole, if you haven't heard of MSI, you are truly missing out on great music.
Last edited by Nozomi Kisaragi on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

Enyret Egihci
No broom

Postby Enyret Egihci » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:48 am

I'd suggest Muse. They're really, really good! Favourites for me would be Undisclosed Desires and Hysteria but seriously the rest are excellent :)

I also don't mind Linkin Park and definitely Maroon 5. Really dig their latest album! :)

Prof. Silmarien Szilagyi
Oakshaft 79

Postby Prof. Silmarien Szilagyi » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:29 pm

I'm a huge fan of Scandinavian bands, so I'd recommend (all sing in English):

HIM
The Rasmus
Falconer
Hammerfall
The 69 Eyes

And then an interesting German band (English and Germany lyrics):

Down Below
Thanks Cassie Lobiesk!
Ravenclaw DHoH || Alte Editor || Sci-Fi Enthusiast

Kate Quinn
No broom

Postby Kate Quinn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:18 am

There are lots of great recommendations on here! I can't wait to give them all a listen. :)

I definitely have to second an earlier recommendation for Muse - they are one of my all-time favorite bands!

I'd also recommend Adele - she has such a great, soulful, sound for someone so young (I think she's only 21?) and her songs all have so much passion. I also really love Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. They're a fun band with a folksy rock sound. Home is one of their biggest songs, so you might have heard it around on the radio.
Thanks to Brie MacKenna for the banner! :)

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Alis Gray
No broom

Postby Alis Gray » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:44 am

I think everyone should listen to [b]The National[b]. They are a really great and unique band. I could listen to them 24/7.
"When I waked I cried to dream again."

Enid Labs
No broom

Postby Enid Labs » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:59 am

For all of we who love Harry Potter I would really recommend Oliver Boyd and the Remembralls. I'm still discovering their songs, but each song I hear of them, I love them even more. Another band I'm discovering right now (I listened for the first time in Disney Channel LOL.), and wich I'm loving it is Allstar Weekend. Probably a lot of people at USA must know of it, but, for example, in my country, nobody have any idea of who they are. :)

Looking for recommendations :D
Enid Labs||en602||First year Student||PPC Member||HOL Book Club Member

Life can be awful if you aren't able to see it's bright side.

Katie Tate
No broom

Postby Katie Tate » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:58 am

To anyone on HOL, I recommend Ministry of Magic, The Remus Lupins, and the Parselmouths, pretty much and Wizard Rock (wrock) band out there!

As for other music, I'm more into YouTubers' music. Luke Conard, ALL CAPS, Alex Carpenter, Charlie McDonnell, Alex Day, Chameleon Circuit (GREAT Doctor Who band, for all you Whovians!) Jimmy Wong, Alex Goot, the like. Out of more common bands/artists, I like Darren Criss, Charlene Kaye, Michael Buble, Ben Folds, Regina Spektor, Lily Allen, U2, Mika, Jack's Mannquin, Kill Paradise, Jack Johnson, Heyhihello, and STARKID!!!! (ANYthing by them- I love their musicals!) etc. Right now the most-played song on my Itunes is "I Believe" from the musical The Book of Mormon.

Recently, the most played songs on my ipod are oldies that I've found perusing the internet: Careless Whisper by George Michael, I Need a Hero and Total Eclipse of the Heart (TEotH I found through LeakyCon lol) by Bonnie Tyler, Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley (I know, I know XD), and (I've Had) The Time of My Life from Dirty Dancing by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes.

Joanna Wester
No broom

Postby Joanna Wester » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Well here's my recommendations. It's my all-time favourite:
- Simple Plan Fav. Songs: Astronaut, Jet Lag, Your Love is A Lie.
- Paramore Fav. Songs: Let the Flames Begin, That's What You Get, Misery Business.
- Coldplay Fav. Songs: Every Teardrop is A Waterfall, Viva la Vida.
- Panic! At The Disco Fav. Songs: The Ballad of Monalisa, Ready to Go.
- Linkin Park Fav. Songs: Faint, Burning in The Skies, Numb.
- 30 Seconds To Mars Fav. Songs: This is War, Closer to the Edge, Kings and Queens.

Enid Labs
No broom

Postby Enid Labs » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:32 pm

At this moment I would recommend to you Michelle Branch. I didn't listened new songs from her yet, but the old songs are AWESOME. I just love all of them and I absolutely think you all should listen her :)
Enid Labs||en602||First year Student||PPC Member||HOL Book Club Member

Life can be awful if you aren't able to see it's bright side.

Serenity Ambrosia
No broom

Postby Serenity Ambrosia » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:21 am

I listen to all genres of music. Some of my favorite artists are Jonathan Coulton, I Fight Dragons, Mumford and Sons, and Chameleon Circuit.

Most of these bands, sans Mumford and Sons are fairly nerdy bands. If you haven't checked them out, you definitely should!

Prof. Fumei Spookie
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Fumei Spookie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:00 am

Volbeat is a must!

Allison Sullivan
No broom

Postby Allison Sullivan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:35 pm

wow I should've read this topid daysss ago xDD
lots of bands that I never really heard of..
gotta look up on those bands later xD

well, these are the bands that I currently listen to:
One Night Only --> if you're into rock thing
Breathe Carolina --> electric and a bit scream but with catchy lyrics <3
She & Him --> this one is kinda weird the first time I listen to their albums xD

Return to “Music Talk”