Recommend To A Friend

Music Discussions Go Here

Moderator: Sirius Fudge

Prof. Dom Gaidin
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Dom Gaidin » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:00 pm

I've been told that I have a pretty diverse collection when it comes to my music, and a lot of that is becuase I take recommendations from friends and have a listen, or I hear a track I like on a film and want to find out what it is.
What band or artist would you recommend listening to, that maybe the others may not have heard or even heard of?
The latest band I came across, was a random find, but I am now the proud owner of one of their English albums (the band is Swedish, and pretty big in Scandinavia from what I gather). They are called Kent and although it varies, I've heard them likened to a mix between Radiohead, REM, Travis, Coldplay and several others - all in one.
The song 747 is the first I came to, and is the last on the album I have (Isola) and it's a nice mellow song with some nice lyrics before it goes off on a long wind down to the track (or album, if you're listening that way) which I think works really well in this instance.
Others that I quite like are Celsius, Elvis and (not from this album) Kärleken Väntar.
Dom Gaidin | pr_dom | Hufflepuff Professor
'By nature of definition, only the coward is capable of the highest heroism.'
'The sooner I fall behind, the more time I'll have to catch up.'

Kelsey Willow
No broom

Postby Kelsey Willow » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:25 pm

Ooh, recommendation thread. Fun stuff. I've been told that I have a pretty eclectic tast in music. I'll basically listen to anything.

Recommendation-wise, I'd say Idlewild are a fab band. Particularly good songs to listen to are American English and Roseability, in my opinion. Another good Scottish band to give a listen.. Sons and Daughters, I'd recommend Dance Me In, their last single. Mark Owen's last album was particularly good, too.. Makin' Out and Hail Mary are great songs. I could go on forever. *g* Aaah, Garbage! Right Between the Eyes.. GREAT song.

Okay. I'm done.

[Edited to follow Dom's bolding and italics thing.]
Last edited by Kelsey Willow on Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelsey Willow :: Slytherin Fourth Year

Peter Shechem
No broom

Postby Peter Shechem » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:19 pm

Wheee...just what everyone wants! biggrin.gif

Okay, I'll just start with a few. Bright Eyes has to be the first band I actually listened to and liked fully. The lyrics of all of the songs are wonderful, and are full of menaing. Bowl of Oranges makes me so happy I have to smile. A wonderful thing.

Next I gotta say Thirteen Senses is really wonderful. Love their music, and Into the Fire is an awesome song. Wonderful sound, and the singing is really good. Babyshambles is always really fun to listen to, especially Killamangiro. Also, just as some bands, I'd have to recommend The Cribs and The Bravery.

Annnnd I'll go now, and maybe put more bands and songs in if I feel like I need to. *g*

~Peter
Be cool, read the Handbook.
Hufflepuff | Third Year

Angelina Bell
No broom
Location: A Place Where Heaven And Earth Are One And The Same (Gryffindor)

Postby Angelina Bell » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:28 pm

I'm into country but if you just listen to the music, you will find that it really does rock your soul.

The first and best band is Lonestar and they what I call the Rock of Country. The best song is From There To Here and it's all about how we as humans have progeressed.
Another favorite (that isn't country, it's rock) is Todd Rundgren and the best CD he has out is Liars which has the best song called I Stood Up Too Fast - I will let your imaginations run with that title
Last edited by Angelina Bell on Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siggy done by Rachel Baudelaire

Arwen Tonks
No broom

Postby Arwen Tonks » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:02 pm

I just found a band called Modest Mouse. They're really good! I don't know if you've already heard of them but I really like them! You should check them out!!
If I'm good, I'll go to Hogwarts when I die.
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost." - Aragorn's poem.
"Maybe I'm a Lion..." - Squall

Ilona Littrell
Oakshaft 79

Postby Ilona Littrell » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:42 am

Dom McDermott wrote:The latest band I came across, was a random find, but I am now the proud owner of one of their English albums (the band is Swedish, and pretty big in Scandinavia from what I gather). They are called Kent and although it varies

Ooooo Kent!
I love them! tongue.gif
<--- is a scandinavian
If you don't already have heard them you should download "Dom andra" and "music non stop"
"Kärleken Väntar" mean "love is waiting" for anyone who might be interested smile.gif

I'm a music lover as well, and I could probably make a list so long that you wouldn't bother to finish it...
but to name a few,
I don't know how well known The Servant are other places, but here they are pretty much unknown. It's their song "Cells" that was used in the trailer to the movie Sin City. (and that's how I found out about them) I think they have many good songs. "Orchestra", "liquefy" and "papyrus"

Other band I recomend is HIM
Again I dunno how popular they are outside scandinavia. They're kinda like goth/rock music, or some call it Love metal. I highly recommend them. Some of their good songs are: "In joy and sorrow" "Join me" "You are the one" "wicked game" "and love said no" But then i think all their songs are great

Madrugada is a norwegian band, and i loooove their music. It's so comfortable to listen to.
Download "the kids are on high street" and "majesty"

Another band I'm completely in love with is The Killers, but I think most probably know about them. They kida have a touch of Franz Ferdinand and Green day if I'm not toally way off. But some of their best songs are "mr brightside" "Jenny" "Sombody told me" "smile like you mean it" "Andy you're a star" "midnight show"
Last edited by Ilona Littrell on Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
-»----(¯`v´¯)----»
[color= gray]^Sig & Av made by me.
Feel free to PM me if you want one, or come to the Gryfftastic Graphics Club in the Gryff CR! ;)[/color]
|[color=Blue]Sixth Year|Lady Marauder|Gryfftastic Graphics Club|Captain of the Black PINK Pearl|[/color]

Christine McTague
No broom

Postby Christine McTague » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:57 am

Ah... I have so many I could recommend... I dont know where to begin!
Lets start with those in English though...
The Dresden Dolls are just terrific... They are genuinely artistic and are GREAT live. I should know, I just went to their concert biggrin.gif. Coin Operated Boy and Half Jack are brilliant.
If you like Gothic Techno stuff then VNV Nation is probably a great find, as well as Epsilon Minus. Keeping with the "Gothic" trend I recommend Sisters of Mercy, Souxsie and the Banshees, and The Cure. And Dead Can Dance are great too.
I recommend Rascal Flats for country fans, and of course Johnny Cash.
Harry Connick Jr is terrific. He's got a big band sound, but he's very contemporary. His voice is so velvetty... He's like those old 30's crooners.
Next is the Japanese stuff...
Malice Mizer are great! And they have a great musical range... In one cd you'll find a strange almost reggae song, an eerie classical piece, and hard angry guitars. And of course you must see their costumes... But this is an old band and they broke up long ago.
The lead singer went solo and I also recommend him if your looking for somethng somewhat lighter. Gackt has his own style, and its slightly pop-ish, but he also has enough hard rock hits to satisfy me. Check out the Moon album.
The lead guitarist, Mana, went a different way though. His band, Moi Dix Moi, is definetely not for the faint of heart. They are totally hard rock. Don't let your grandmothers hear you listening to this. Check out the Nocturnal Opera album.
L'Arc~un~Ciel are good too, but I'm not as big of a fan of them as I am the ones above. They were big indie rockers in Japan for a while.
Pierrot is kinda like Marylin Manson with a less techno sound... Its hard to describe. They're great though, if you're getting tired of the classical sounding stuff.
If I think of more I'll edit this and add them. I can never think of a lot off the bat heh... I always think of some much later.
Christine McTague, First Year, Slytherin.
Wand: Rosewood and ebony handle, 12", Gryphon feather.
Familiar: Keethan the eagle owl.
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.

Prof. Hailey Potter
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Hailey Potter » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:30 am

Ilona Littrell wrote:Another band I'm completely in love with is The Killers, but I think most probably know about them. They kida have a touch of Franz Ferdinand and Green day if I'm not toally way off. But some of their best songs are "mr brightside" "Jenny" "Sombody told me" "smile like you mean it" "Andy you're a star" "midnight show"

Totally agree with you Ilona. The Killers rock!!! I absolutely LOVE "Jenny was a friend of mine" and "mr. brightside. So, I totally agree. But, I also like "all of these things that i've done" to add on from your list. I love that song... even though it really skips on my CD....
Just had to comment on the Killers.
Gryffindor Professor|HOL 101, An Introduction to Divination, and Advanced Divination
Spice Squad Captain|Paw Print EiC|Lions' Pride

Mia Phoenixfeather
No broom

Postby Mia Phoenixfeather » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:53 pm

Another great but not too well know band is Nine Days. If you remember that song Absolutely (Story of a Girl) from way back, that's them and anything off their The Madding Crowd album is great. They've got sort of a poppy feel to them without being pathetic, lol.

Switchfoot is amazing. I can personally vouch for Dare You To Move, This is Your Life and Always Something. Three Days Grace has some really good tracks too.

~mia
~ * Mia - Gryffindor Lioness * ~
'Goodnight Moon' Banned for Encouraging Children to Communicate With Furniture.

Chris Moody
No broom
Location: Gryffindor 08' Heck Yeah Baby! Proud Lion Right Here! ROAR!!!

Postby Chris Moody » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:26 am

Ilona Littrell wrote:Other band I recomend is HIM
Again I dunno how popular they are outside scandinavia. They're kinda like goth/rock music, or some call it Love metal. I highly recommend them. Some of their good songs are: "In joy and sorrow" "Join me" "You are the one" "wicked game" "and love said no"  But then i think all their songs are great

OMG yes!!!!!!!! HIM is such an aweosme band, if you love love songs, and you love metal and rock, this is soooooooooooooooooooooooo the band for you guys, and if no one knows their new record is coming out in the fall and its called Dark Light

look for them.

Elyse Hawkings
No broom

Postby Elyse Hawkings » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:47 am

I would DEFINITELY recommend The Arcade Fire to anyone who hasn't heard them. Their song 'In the Backseat' is amazing.
I would also recommend Tilly and the Wall and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
when cameron was in egypts land ................. let my cameron go

Shayla Aredhel
No broom

Postby Shayla Aredhel » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:27 am

The Smashing Pumpkins...although if you have a diverse collection, I'm sure you've heard of them.
The Shins...SO awesome.
New Order, excellent and unique music
Ben Kweller...check out his song Lizzy
Dispatch, good jam band, check out The General, and Bang Bang
The Decemberists, indie stuff. Song "July July" is good
Travis, especially song Love will come through, or cover of The Weight
Cary Brothers, more indie acoustic type music
Chemical Brothers unique, electronic-ish

[Edited to replace broken HTML with BBCode. smile.gif -KW]
Last edited by Shayla Aredhel on Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loden Evercast
No broom

Postby Loden Evercast » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:13 pm

Bad Religion And NOFX are really fun band if you like kinda ska punk stuff
And she'll be right here in my arms
So in Love
She'll be right here in these arms
She can't let go

Bridgette Medwin
No broom

Postby Bridgette Medwin » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:29 pm

Dom McDermott wrote:I've been told that I have a pretty diverse collection when it comes to my music, and a lot of that is becuase I take recommendations from friends and have a listen, or I hear a track I like on a film and want to find out what it is.
What band or artist would you recommend listening to, that maybe the others may not have heard or even heard of?
The latest band I came across, was a random find, but I am now the proud owner of one of their English albums (the band is Swedish, and pretty big in Scandinavia from what I gather). They are called Kent and although it varies, I've heard them likened to a mix between Radiohead, REM, Travis, Coldplay and several others - all in one.
The song 747 is the first I came to, and is the last on the album I have (Isola) and it's a nice mellow song with some nice lyrics before it goes off on a long wind down to the track (or album, if you're listening that way) which I think works really well in this instance.
Others that I quite like are Celsius, Elvis and (not from this album) Kärleken Väntar.

Ahhh, another eclectic like myself! Lovely!

Umm, if you are looking for some variety there is a famous canadian singer I'm fond of named "Lawrence Gowan" he has a EXCELLENT song called a "Criminal Mind" that I would suggest.

I don't know if you can listen to music in a different languages but Ayumi Hamasaki is a famous Japanese singer and she sings a magnificent song called "Endless Sorrow"

If you are looking for some history of punk you should check out the band called "The Clash" as they were one of the few old punk bands that paved the road for the punk that you hear today.

If you'd REALLY like to expand your musical horizons you could definetly check out some symphonies. Perhaps some Chopin or Mozart? (Redundant I know, but they are musical genius's)

Also have you tryed anything techno? I once heard this awesome song called by Dune called "Can't stop raving"

And of course you DEFINETLY have to check out some oldies. I suggest you try Journey and Aerosmith. Definetly check out the song "Talk dirty to me" by Poison it's a wicked song!

If you want anymore ideas feel free to send a message my way smile.gif My musical taste has no limits!
Last edited by Bridgette Medwin on Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bridgette Eliza Medwin | Proud 1st year Gryffindor
Maker of custom Signatures | PM me your request
Wand: Maple & Walnut | 13 1/2 inches | Pheonix Feather
Pet: Black Cat Named GiGi

Kane Darvi
No broom

Postby Kane Darvi » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:32 pm

Here are some of the best bands I've found so far:

Neutral Milk Hotel
Kaiser Cheifs
Pinback
Presidents of the United States of America
The Bravery

I'd recommend them to anyone and everyone.
Last edited by Kane Darvi on Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chiaki Kuroda
No broom

Postby Chiaki Kuroda » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:03 pm

I would recommend Kelly Clarkson to some. Those who enjoy something different, like a different language, try Utada Hikaru. Listen to her Jap. CD's. Her singing is great even if you don't understand it, and the music is awesome.

Who's heard the theme song for Kingdom Hearts? Well, Hikaru was the one who sang it in both English and Japanese.

[Edited to close the colour tag. smile.gif -KW]
Last edited by Chiaki Kuroda on Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chiaki Kuroda; Ravenclaw; Second Year

Amber Bach
No broom

Postby Amber Bach » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:04 pm

My cousin is a big fan of Tegan and Sara and she sent me three of their cds and an extra cd with b-sides and demos and stuff, and although their music sounded a bit odd to me at first, I've started to like them pretty much. My favourite songs are Monday, Monday, Monday, Not Tonight and I Know I Know I Know.
A Bach | am203 | Fifth Year | Ravenclaw | Salsa Squad Head

~Soaring high above the rest~

Prof. Angelus Darklost
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Angelus Darklost » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:40 pm

Well, well, well...music recommendation. *wooHOO*

I have a very diverse and strange selection of music in my collection...and it may take me a few posts to recommend ALL of the good artists out there...but we'll see what we can do to keep that down to a minimum. *LOL*

ANYwho...here's my first batch:

LIV is actually a fairly nice dance solo artist who is often found on remix and compilation albums. A lot of her stuff seems to focus on a love theme, and is definitely good at getting you to get up and dance. [[Plus, it's just kinda cool to have a musical artist who's name reminds you so much of a certain Hufflepuff Head of House. *LOL*]]

Duncan Sheik is an artist that I have always liked. He's got this soft-spoken sultry kind of voice that just makes his songs so wonderful to listen to. My all-time favorite songs of his are Barely Breathing and On A High.

Delerium is an excellent group. I'm not even sure where to start with describing them, but they mix Pop Rock, Techno/Trance, and Lounge all into one set of vocals and instrumentals. They are way cool in my book.

Despina Vandi is a recent find of mine. I love her dance music, even though I have YET to determine what language half of her songs are in. *LOL* Even without knowing what she's saying, she's amazing to listen to.

Natasha Bedingfield is definitely becoming popular on the Pop charts, but the one song of hers I like best is not getting mainstream air play, If You're Gonna Jump. It'sa wonderful song with a great beat...and the version I have is mixed by another artist I like, Paul Oakenfold.

One of the more interesting Lounge/Chill-Out artists I've found is a U.K. group called Purple Penguins. They are very much the epitome of the lounge and chill spirit.

Damaged by Plummet is by far one of my all-time favorite songs, and one that I highly recommend to anyone and everyone. Plummet has also had several new songs come out on various dance compilation albums, and their work is just as good as their earlier stuff.

Eric Prydz has been appearing on a lot of dance compilation albums in the last couple of years, and I must say I'm liking his stuff more and more with each new song I hear. He's definitely one to check out.

Shape:UK is another dance group that has been making a big name for themselves recently, especially with Lola's Theme. I love their stuff!!!

And I am always amused whenever I listen to Born To Be Alive by Disco Kings. This song alone is worth checking out for sheer amusement.
"The monkey may be off your back, but that doesn't mean the circus has left town." -- George Carlin

Blake McMichael
No broom

Postby Blake McMichael » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:20 am

I don't usually listen to Christian rock, seeing as how I'm not even Christian. But the band King's X is insanely good, regardless of faith. It's a shame they get overlooked so much.

Big Head Todd and The String Cheese Incident are some good local bands in my area.

Dawn Christensen
No broom

Postby Dawn Christensen » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:16 pm

My music recommendation is Good Charlotte! They are so awesome. I love them. I love Benji! wub.gif

Return to “Music Talk”