What movie coming in out in 2018 are you most excited for?

Discuss Movies in This Forum
Vanessa Tilley
Moontrimmer

What movie coming in out in 2018 are you most excited for?

Post by Vanessa Tilley » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:43 pm

I am a big movie fanatic and with spring just around the corner I have been looking at the new upcoming movies for 2018. The reason I do this in spring is because I look forward to getting out of the house after being cooped up so long from all the cold weather.

There are a lot of movies coming out in 2018 that I am pretty excited about. Of all the movies coming out, I am most excited for How the Grinch Stole Christmas. One, it is my absolute favorite Dr. Seuss book and the Grinch is my spirit animal. The other reason I am excited is that Benedict Cumberbatch has been chosen to do the voice of the Grinch. I am a HUGE Benedict Cumberbatch fan and I look forward to seeing how he puts his own unique style into it and what he does with the character to make it different from all the various Grinches that have come before.
Kathren Johnsun
No broom

Re: What movie coming in out in 2018 are you most excited for?

Post by Kathren Johnsun » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:49 pm

I hate to say it, but I'm more worried than excited about the new Grinch movie. So far I don't think any of the new movies have been able to live up to the original animated movies (for Grinch it would be the 1966 version).

One movie that I am excited for this year is A Wrinkle in Time. I remember watching the made for TV movie as a kid after reading the book, and with the names they have attached to this project, I think we might be in for a treat. It comes out here in about a week and a half, so I don't have too much longer to wait.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:02 pm

A Wrinkle in Time is something I hope turns out well and I look forward to watching it.

I think that the movie I'm most excited about (or dreading, depending on what happens and how they do it) is Ready Player One. This is one of my favorite books. I hope it doesn't end up being an 'action thriller' and miss out on all the internal stuff of what makes it so great as a book.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Amy Lupin
Tinderblast

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Like Tarma, I'm also really excited for Ready Player One. As an avid boardgames player, Game Night sounds right up my alley (coming out in South Africa this weekend). Other movies I'm looking forward to seeing are Goodbye Christopher Robin and Solo: A Star Wars Story.

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale
Kathren Johnsun
No broom

Post by Kathren Johnsun » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:28 pm

I completely forgot about the Christopher Robin movie. I loved Winnie the Pooh when I was younger. I'm curious Amy, did you mean Christopher Robin and not Goodbye Christopher Robin? From what I can tell (from a quick google search) Goodbye Christopher Robin came out last year.
Prof. Amy Lupin
Tinderblast

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:53 pm

Unfortunately movies can sometimes take as much 6 months or so to come to South Africa's shores. You are correct in that Goodbye Christopher Robin first came out last year. :)

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale
Kathren Johnsun
No broom

Post by Kathren Johnsun » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:03 pm

I was just making sure since there are two similarly titled movies coming out in a two year span (at least for the US/UK). That is one movie I still need to see since I didn't really see any movies this last year.
Cody Lewis
Cleansweep One

Post by Cody Lewis » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:13 pm

I'm currently reading Ready Player One and it will most likely be the next movie I see in theaters.

But the movie I'm most looking forward to this year is Avengers: Infinity War. I'm a huge fan of Marvel (especially Iron Man, I'm not sure a lot of people know that about me >_>), and they've been setting this universe up for over a decade. I can't wait to see everything finally collide!
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:22 pm

I'm like Cody. I am so ready to see Ready Player One after reading the book, but I am also a huge MCU fan and cannot wait to see Avengers: Infinity War. Of course, let's not forget that Crimes of Grindelwald is coming out in November of this year, so that's high on my list, too! There is also The Nutcracker and the Four Realms which I want to see simply because I need to so I can put my own judgment on it from the ballet community. I don't have high hopes for it, but Misty Copeland dances in it and that's enough reason for me to want to see it. <3 her.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:11 pm

Oh! How could I forget Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald? I guess I am so wondering about Ready Player One (and November is a long way away...) that I sort of spaced on it.

Great one, Shiloh. :)

I'm not that huge a fan of the Marvel Universe, albeit I do love the "Puny god" line and other things. Bruce :wub: But yes, there are a bunch of (hopefully) great movies coming out this year.

Cody! You are a huge fan of Iron Man? Why didn't you TELL us? :o

EDIT:
I struck through the thing about not being a huge fan of the Marvel Universe! My current WOW movies are Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy 2. They are, of course, of the Marvel Universe. It would be more correct to say I'm not a huge fan of some of the sequels made of 'Avenger' exploits.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Astaria Rivers
No broom

Post by Astaria Rivers » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:24 pm

Ready Player One is the movie I am waiting to see. I'm obsessed with gaming, so I read a lot of books in that category and that's one I found. The trailer for the movie looks good. I can't wait to see it on screen. It'll make me want to live in a world like The Oasis I'm sure. I wish something similar existed now.
Prof. Amy Lupin
Tinderblast

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Sun May 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Another movie I'm looking forward to seeing is Mary Poppins Returns. I watched the original Mary Poppins numerous times while growing up as well as Saving Mr Banks in 2013, so I'm looking forward to returning to the story.

- Edward Everett Hale
Prof. Amy Lupin
Tinderblast

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:32 pm

I saw the trailer of Mortal Engines earlier, and it looks really intriguing. London is a city that's special to me in a lot of ways, and I'm always fascinated by different conceptualisations of it. Based on the trailer, it seems like there's a lot going on in the movie, so I'll probably try read the book by Philip Reeve first just so that I can better appreciate all the intricacies of it.

- Edward Everett Hale
Prof. Amy Lupin
Tinderblast

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Although it's only coming out in 2019, I'm really excited for Detective Pikachu. It's a live action film with Ryan Reynolds voicing the titular character. As a Pokemon fan, it'll be interesting to explore the Pokemon universe outside of what we've typically been exposed to in the anime series or the video games. While I haven't actively played or watched Pokemon in quite some time, Pokemon was the first fandom I was exposed to (even before Harry Potter), so I'm looking forward to returning to it in some form.

- Edward Everett Hale
Alexander Brighton
Oakshaft 79

Post by Alexander Brighton » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:08 am

I am also really really excited for Detective Pikachu. I'm obsessed with Pokemon. I play the games and watch the series and I was wondering if they would ever come up with a real life Pokemon movie. Can't wait to see it.
I am also excited to see Fantastic Beasts 2, but that is coming out in a few days. Been waiting for the second one ever since I saw the first one 2 years ago.
Vanessa Tilley
Moontrimmer

Post by Vanessa Tilley » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:21 pm

I am so excited for Venom and Aquaman! Anyone else? Oddly enough, I am not a huge superhero fan but looking forward to them anyway :wub:

Return to “Movie Talk”