The Oscars 2018

Discuss Movies in This Forum
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

The Oscars 2018

Post by Shiloh Adlar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:30 am

The nominees have been announced, and I know a lot of people at my school are talking about them. What are your predictions for this year's Oscars? Do you agree with the nominations or is there maybe one you would add or one you would take away?

As for some of my predictions, or rather who I would want to win, I'll name a few.

Actress in a Leading Role
Margot Robbie - I, Tonya

Actress in a Supporting Role
Laurie Metcalf - Lady Bird

Directing
Lady Bird - Greta Gerwig

Music (Original Song)
This is Me - The Greatest Showman
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Re: The Oscars 2018

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:46 am

I love movies and going to the cinema! I certainly haven't seen all the movies that are nominated, but among my favorites are:

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE: Daniel Day Lewis - Actually, for this category, Phantom Thread is the only movie I have seen and I quite liked it.

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE: Sally Hawkins (The Shape of Water) - I enjoyed the movie, but what I liked the most was Sally Hawkins interpretation. It felt so true and so real, and of course, requires great skill to play someone who can't speak, But more than that, I really loved her interpretation.

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: Octavia Spencer (The Shape of Water) - Only because I love Octavia, but I highly doubt she gets it. In the movie I didn't see anything spectacular or different from the things she does.

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM: COCO - By all means Coco! I loved the story! It made me cry, it made me laugh, it made me become obsessed! I loved it!

ORIGINAL SONG: This is me (The Greatest Showman) - My sister is so mad about this nomination. She says that it is too much of a "Pop" song and didn't deserve the nomination. Maybe she is right, but I love the song. I instantly knew that was the "power" song of the movie. The message is great, and the song is very catchy. I really like it!

BEST PICTURE - I really liked Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri and Phantom Thread. I generally like more, movies with themes and style similar to Phantom Thread, but this time, I think I'll go with Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri. The movie had me on the edge of my seat all the time, it was interesting and I enjoyed it a lot.

I would also like Beauty and the Beast to win the two categories it is nominated, but I highly doubt that happens. I did enjoy the movie and fell in love with all the art production.

Only a couple of days more to know the winners!! :D
Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Re: The Oscars 2018

Post by Shadow Gaunt » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:45 am

I definitely agree for the original song. I saw the Fantastic Showman recently and I loved it. I especially loved the music, and I while I do understand this:
Prof. Gustavo Flores wrote:My sister is so mad about this nomination. She says that it is too much of a "Pop" song and didn't deserve the nomination.
I also agree that the song is catchy and has a powerful message. And we are living in 2018, where most music is pop music.
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Movie Talk”