Fall Term 2013 Class Advertisement Thread

Discussion About Classes and Projects at HOL

Moderators: Prof. Rorey Padfoot, Class Committee

Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Rorey Padfoot » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:49 am

Want to know what classes you should take this year? Craving some more information and what each of the classes have to offer?

You can find out in this thread!

This post will contain information regarding the classes the HOL professors and student teachers are hosting. If you want all of your class information in one go, this is the best place to look!

If you have more questions regarding a certain class, please contact the professor/student teacher. E-mailing your professors or student teachers to see if you can join their class MIGHT make them cranky, so try not to do that. XD

Official Class Page for 2013/2014 Classes

***Professors and Student Teachers ONLY to post in this thread, please****
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~pr_pad~*~Hufflepuff Co-HoH~

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:25 am

Do you have a wand? Of course you do. ................. Don't you? ......... Are you a witch or not?

Well, maybe you want an updated wand or you sat on your wand and broke it. Maybe you put your wand in your back pocket and lost your buttocks. ... ooops.

I still have my original cherrywood wand. *happy* But I also have other wands - my very first wand of bamboo and one each of rosemary, apple, bay and buddleia.

If you are wanting to have a wand of your own, or perhaps have an updated model, sign up for Wand-making! You make for yourself a new wand created just for you with your very own talents, earn points and learn a little bit about the wonders of the different woods and numbers and colors and all kinds of things.

This is a one-term class; you can earn up to 300 points and perhaps even be awarded the The Award of the Cherrywood Wand at the end of the course.
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Avatar-Terrier (Beka Cooper)*Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Comet 180

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:27 pm

*waves*

Because 4 is my favorite number, I'm offering 4 classes this term:
Accidental Magic Reversal Squad
Journey of the Hero
Poisons
Word Magic

They are all one-term classes, where you can earn up to 300 points. If you have any questions, come find me! I'll be around watching people Race Around the Globe with an air of bemusement and attempting to convert more Ravenclaws into seekers.

Links to ALL my classes are in my signature. If you want to request a class for next term, you can do that too. That includes bringing back any of these 4 classes for the Spring term, but I cannot guarantee that you will have a easier time choosing classes then!

Prof. Cassandra Lobiesk
Cleansweep One

Postby Prof. Cassandra Lobiesk » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:31 pm

Quick writeup for each class I'm offering this fall:

HOL OWLs 2013-2014
LINK
Requirement: Fifth Years and Up

Please keep in mind that there is a forum area that provides information about your OWLs for the current year. Please check that and the HOL message updates I send you during the year once I've added you. OWLs is a separate class that doesn't count toward your five classes. It is a full-year course.

Alchemy: Brewing the Philosopher's Stone
LINK
Requirement: None

This class is a follow-up of Alchemy: An Ancient Beginning, though students are not required to take the first class to take this one. It is a one-term class and will be offered both terms.

Scribbling Shack: Fairy Tales
LINK
Requirement: None

This class is a re-done version of Writing Your Own Fairy Tales; however, in spirit of this being a writing class, it has become a writing workshop. So expect to get creative. Students who've taken the old WYOFT class are more than welcome back to SSFT, especially if you just want the writing practice! It is a one-term class, and likely will not be offered in the second term.

Maxwell Shadow
Cleansweep One

Postby Maxwell Shadow » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:47 am

Hi students! I'm here to offer you a new class for the Autumn Term which I hope you will find interesting and enjoyable...

Marvellous Musical Theatre

This class will give you some brief info about four shows which I know and love and give you the chance (if you wish) to show me your musical skills and abilities. Each lesson has an extra credit option for you to perform one of the songs from the show discussed (other options are available!). I'm looking forward to seeing your creativity!
  • Hand in work at your own pace - one deadline at the end of term but suggested dates throughout if you wish to follow them
  • Start completing work as soon as you are ready (final two lessons will be available asap)
  • Shiny awards to be won
  • Optional term research project
  • Plenty of options for each lesson

I look forward to seeing you in my class :D
Any questions..? Make sure you ask them in the class forum.
Slytherin forever

Sirius Fudge
Moontrimmer

Postby Sirius Fudge » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:51 am

Hello everyone! *waves*

Do you have a broom? Do you want to make your own signature broom? Do you want to add your name in this list of broom makers? CLICK! If you answer yes to the questions above, then this class is good for you!

Broom Making
LINK TO CLASSROOM

This class provides knowledge about brooms as we see it in the wizarding world and apply its long history to the art of broom making. Some perks of taking it are: two deadlines for the term and some yummy awards. And the best part is you can showcase your creativity in creating your signature broom.

And \o/ for one more class I am offering for the first time:

Places and Magic
LINK TO CLASSROOM

This class discusses places and spaces as we see it in the wizarding world and how it affects many things in our daily lives. There is only one deadline for this class and that is at the end of the term and of course, more awards. And cool part is that you'll be able to explore the wizarding world in maps that you'll be able to create.

Sirius Fudge | si926 | Fifth Year | Hufflepuff
Prefect | First Friend Project | Student Teacher

Ivelisse Ada
Oakshaft 79

Postby Ivelisse Ada » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:44 pm

Hey everyone, welcome to another exciting fall term! I'm here to tell you about two super-awesome classes that I hope you at least check out:

Magical Maladies in Magizoology

Do you like magical beasts? Do you like healing? Then this class is perfect for you! Magical Maladies is a class about the illnesses that can befall magical creatures in the Wizarding World and it teaches YOU how to cure them. You can expect to...

• Earn up to 300 points!
  • Earn yourself a shiny quill if you get over 120 points!
  • Earn up to 4 mega-shiny awards!
  • Turn in all your work whenever you feel like it with an end-of-term due date!
  • Have tons of fun inventing your own illness for the Final Project! (Other options available and you're even allowed to come up with your own final project if you clear it with me first!)

For more information about the class, visit the class website HERE and take a look around the lessons and Class Info page! I hope to see you all out on the grounds taking care of sick beasts with me very soon :)

OR perhaps divination is more your thing? Perhaps you want to be able to predict your destiny and understand your future using Tarot cards? Maybe you love talking about yourself and discussing the journey of life? If so, I recommend looking at my other class,

Persona: A Journey Through Tarot

Persona's aim is to teach you about the Major Arcana of the Tarot deck; what they represent, what role they play in the story of the Tarot cards, and how to read them in a Tarot spread. In Persona: A Journey Through Tarot, you can expect to...

• Earn up to 300 points and a shiny quill if you get over 120 points!
  • Earn up to four mega-shiny awards!
  • Discover which Arcana you are (much like the House system of HP)!

For more information about the class, visit the class website HERE and take a look around the lessons and Class Info page! I look forward to learning about your journeys and Arcana!
Thank you to Prof. Kyrie Adderholt!!

Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Comet 140

Postby Prof. Cosmo B. Mott » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:01 pm

Knitting the Muggle Way

If you've read J. K. Rowling's excellent chronicle of the life of Harry Potter and his victory over Lord Voldemort, you'll undoubtedly remember that there's a fair amount of knitted items throughout the series. I'm sure these things have inspired a greater than zero number of us to learn to knit. And, if you'll forgive the presumption, I suspect that's why you're here now.

Even though magical knitting tends to be faster, I find it best to knit the Muggle way. Why's that? Well, for one, it helps in with my magical knitting — knowing how the yarn and needles move together to form the fabric has greatly improved my magical knits. The other reason to learn Muggle-style knitting is this: if you find yourself out and about with Muggles and you want to work on your knitting (which you will; trust me, you will), Muggle knitting is the only way to do it without breaking the International Statute of Secrecy. Also, there's something rather satisfying about creating this knitted object without the use of a wand.

If you've ever wanted to learn how to knit — or just want to knit for points and a quill a way to justify knitting even more than you already do! — then this is the class for you.

Muggle Studies: British Television

Are you completely fascinated by Muggles? I sure am! Besides their ingenius inventions to survive without magic, they seem to have a mania for entertaining themselves. It seems as though every single major invention has been turned into some form of entertainment. Whether it's their clocks, automobiles, or telephones, Muggles are always finding ways to add something entertaining to them.

Like Muggles themselves, Muggle television programs are often quite clever. The shows we'll be examining in this class all take a familiar genre — science fiction, historical drama, police procedural, quiz program — and, by adding a unique spin, transform themselves into something far more intriguing than they seem on the surface. In the process, perhaps we can learn more about Muggles and how they think... and more about ourselves, too.

This class is perfect for those who like watching a lot of awesome TV shows and writing about their reactions.
"...they didn't think there was anything very odd in anyone being a little odd."
-James Hilton's Random Harvest

Return to “General Classes Discussion”