10/11 Class Advertisement Thread

Discussion About Classes and Projects at HOL

Moderators: Prof. Rorey Padfoot, Class Committee

Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Rorey Padfoot » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:55 pm

**copied first post from last years thread by the lovely Prof. Cassandra Lobiesk**

Want to know what classes you should take this year? Craving some more information and what each of the classes have to offer?

You can find out in this thread!

This post will contain information regarding the classes the HOL professors and student teachers are hosting. If you want all of your class information in one go, this is the best place to look!

If you have more questions regarding a certain class, please contact the professor/student teacher. E-mailing your professors or student teachers to see if you can join their class MIGHT make them cranky, so try not to do that. XD

Prof. Tarma Amelia Shanti-White's Post on How to Read the Classes Page

Official Class Page for 2010/2011 Classes

***Professors and Student Teachers ONLY to post in this thread, please****
Last edited by Prof. Rorey Padfoot on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~pr_pad~*~Hufflepuff Co-HoH~

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:24 pm

Are you brave and adventurous? So you like the thrills and chills and spills of dangerous sports?

The class site is here and the HOL Sub-Forum for the class is here.

Professor Dom Gaidin started this class a couple of years ago and has allowed Professor Cosmo B. Mott and me to continue it. We are doing our best to come up with all sorts of fun Challenges for the different Stages. Professor Gaidin is assisting us in making sure the Challenges are true and correct and ... well, up to his very stringent standards.

Also, an incentive to those who attempted the Course before ..... Professor Mott (who used to be student Cosmo Brown) won the race both times it has been held.

So the Swedish Short-Snout Trophy will be going to someone new! Can it be YOURS?

:)
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Hermionie Miranda
Oakshaft 79

Postby Hermionie Miranda » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:29 pm

HEY! Hey you! Yes, you!

Are you having trouble picking your classes? Are you looking for classes that are fun and not too hard to pass? Then I have two amazing classes for you...

Oceanology and Poetry for Beginners!

Yes, that's right, a class about oceans, and a class about poetry! Let's begin with Oceanology.

Oceanology is a class where you learn about the ocean habitat and the life in the oceans. Topics such as sea exploration and mammals in the ocean are discussed. The syllabus is below (taken from class website):

Lesson 1: Introduction and Sea Exploration

Lesson 2: Ocean Motion (Waves and Tides)

Lesson 3: Dolphins, Whales, and Sharks

Lesson 4: Fish, Plankton, and Coral

Month #5: Final Exam and Class Project

To pass Oceanology and get a quill is pretty simple. All you have to do is earn 150 points out of the full 300 points and do the final exam! The final exam is mandatory. There is a points breakdown below(also from class website):

Points Available:
Homework: 120 points total

Extra Credit: 100 points total

Final Exam: 30 points total

Class Discussions (Check the class discussion area regularly, you never know when they could come up): 20 points total

Class Project: 30 points total

For any questions, concerns, or information, please check out the Class Forum in the HOL Forum.

Make a note, this is not a do-it-at-your-own-pace class. Each month there will be an assignment that needs to be completed by the end of the month, unless you have an extension.

Finally, there are the awards! The awards are(from class site):

Awards:

Underwater Explorer - This is the first of three awards you can earn in this class. It is awarded to students for participation. To earn it you simply have to do all homework, extra credit, exam, project, and discussion.

Underwater Expert - This is the second award and is given to the top student of each house. One for Slytherin, one for Hufflepuff, one for Ravenclaw, and one for Gryffindor!

Dive in! Award - This is awarded to a first year who we feel has made outstanding progress and works their hardest.

Special Note: This class was at first taught by Abigail Chalmers and assisted by Serenity Thomas, who left the class due to personal reasons. The amazing Eno Kule took over with his assistant Zoki Phantom, but then Eno also left the class. With permission to take over, this class is now being offered again by me, Hermionie Miranda, and my awesome assistant Zoki Phantom. Thus, all lesson, assignment, and award copyright belongs to Abigail Chalmers.

For more information, check out the class website here, and the class forum here.

Okay! Up next, is Poetry for Beginners!

Poetry for Beginners is a class where aspiring poets take their beginning steps to learn how to write poetry with four simple styles of poetry. Poetry lovers may also take this class to improve or use their skills to gain a quill. This class is being taught by Hermionie Miranda and assisted by the lovely Arnora Eleniel. The syllabus is below:

Lesson 1-Introduction to Poetry and Free-Style Poetry
Lesson 2- Couplet
Lesson 3- Haiku
Lesson 4- Diamante

To pass this class and receive a quill all you need to do is earn at least 120 points and do the Final Exam. Everything is mandatory EXCEPT the class project. To figure out what you can do to earn your points, look at the points breakdown:

4 homework assignments-Each 30 points
4 extra credits-Each 30 points
1 class project-30 points
1 final exam-30 points

Each month you will have your assignment and extra credit that needs to be turned in by the due date which is the end of the month, unless you have an extension. The only thing you can turn in anytime is the class project.

Finally, here are the awards!

Licensed Poet Award- Given to those who have completed all the class work, and got a decent number of points on all the work.
Modern Shakespeare Award- Given to those who impressed me during the whole term.
House Poet Award- Given to the two top points earner for each house.
Poet of the Month- Given to one person each month for the best poem written for a certain month's EC.

For more information check out the class website here, and the discussion area here.

Remember, for both classes, if HOL rules are broken, there WILL be consequences. So I hope to see lots of students in both classes!

Note: To check the links, roll over the places that say "here".
Last edited by Hermionie Miranda on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hufflepuff Prefect
Fel's Bag Carrier and Hufflepuff Seer *wink wink*
Avatar by Dario Sehovic, Signature made by myself

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1000

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Did you know the Ninja Turtles are named after four of the greatest artists of the Renaissance?

Well, now you do!!

Come learn more about Donatello, Leonardo, Michelangelo, and Raphael in:

Art Appreciation: The Ninja Turtles

The class website is HERE.

-----

Now put on your most comfortable shoes, as I take you on a journey.

Journey of the Hero

This class focuses on the Monomyth theory outlined by Joseph Campbell in The Hero with a Thousand Faces.

If you have absolutely no idea what the above sentence means, feel free to explore the class website: HERE

This journey may be difficult at times, but if you believe you are adventurous enough, please complete the introductory assignment: HERE

CAUTION: This class may change the way you watch movies and read books.

-----

See you in class!! :)

Prof. Ryan Granger
Moontrimmer

Postby Prof. Ryan Granger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:37 pm

AHHHHHH ITS LOOSE!! ITS COMING THIS WAY!!! HIDE!!

Wait nevermind. False Alarm. Boy wasn't that exciting. If you want excitment then Care of Magical Creatures is the class for you! (Though I can promise that there will be no excaped creatures....I hope)

I have all sorts of interesting creatures for you to check out. You wanna a sneak peek? Click Here Then!

You don't know what we're going to be covering? I don't either Actually I do!
  • Lesson 1- Ministry of Magic and the Role they Play with Magical Creatures & X rated Creatures
  • Lesson 2- XX- rated Creatures
  • Lesson 3- XXX- rated creatures
  • Lesson 4- XXXX- rated Creatures

Do those X's make no sense to you well you can find out what they mean in this class!

Do you like shiny? I like shiny lots so I made shiny awards for those who don't get eaten *nods*
What kind of awards you ask. Well the shiny kind of course....This class offers 3 awards.
  1. The Bright Chimaera- Given to the student(s) who earn all 300 points
  2. The Great Nundu Catcher- Given to student(s) who who are the top point earner from each house
  3. The Golden Lethifold- Given to the student(s) with creative assignments through-out the term
(Note the Not Being Eaten Award does not exist...yet) And if the shiny awards didn't catch your attention you should know you can always earn those point things. You know those things, you can earn 300 of them.

So mark your calender! Feb. 1st Sign-ups open! I hope to see you there!!
Disclaimer: HOL, Ryan Granger, and Arnora Eleniel are not responible for any injuries, being eaten or creatures attacking the class. In other words Don't lick them >.>
Last edited by Prof. Ryan Granger on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YAY Fumei! I love it!
Ryan Granger||Ravenclaw||Ravenclaw Co-Head Prefect||Student Teacher||Library Deputy Head|

Samuel Craft
No broom

Postby Samuel Craft » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:01 pm

Are you a huge comic book fan? Do you enjoy thinking about the possibilities of having superpowers of your own? Do you like reading and learning about many different superheroes and their powers/abilities? Are you at least willing to learn about superheroes from the Justice League and X-Men?

Well, if you answered yes or maybe to ANY of those questions listed above, then you should definitely think about taking Factions of Superheroes!

You can find the link to the class website here. There, you will find absolutely everything and anything you will need to be successful in my class.

In fact, I'll even post the course syllabus for your convenience below:

Lesson One: X-Men
Lesson Two: Fantastic Four
Lesson Three: Justice League
Lesson Four: The Avengers

So, I hope many of you will consider taking this class because if there is a fantastic turn out, there may be a sequel to this class coming up next term. ;)
Signature & Avatar by the Sig N Av Palace
Samuel Craft // Hufflepuff // Sixth Year // Student Teacher - [color=#000000]Factions of Superheroes[/color]

Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

Postby Prof. Cosmo B. Mott » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:44 am

Knitting the Muggle Way

Have you ever thought that knitting (much like the bow tie and the fez) is cool? Have you imagined making yourself a Hogwarts scarf? Do you want to just make something with your hands, and know that it will be useful?

If so, this is the class for you!

Over the course of four lessons, you'll learn the basics (and then some) of knitting: how to cast on, how to knit and purl, and how to bind off. (In fact, by the end of Lesson Two, you'll know enough to knit your own Hogwarts scarf!) By term's end, if you've done all the assignments, you'll have five washcloths, practical and lovely and great as gifts.

The various instructions are written, but there will also be optional videos to watch, if you learn better that way.

Click here to visit the site and take a look at the first two lessons (videos will be forthcoming, I promise, but the start of term). And if you have any questions, just shoot me a PM or an email or something.
"...they didn't think there was anything very odd in anyone being a little odd."
-James Hilton's Random Harvest

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Gustavo Flores » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:25 am

It's that time of the year again! Time to pick your classes for the new term! Aren't you excited?
If you are having troubles deciding which classes to take, think no more! I have two interesting and fun options for you!

Care of Magical Pets
One Term Class

Pets are mentioned in the Harry Potter series, but not too much is known about them, so if you have ever wondered why, among the great variety of fantastic beasts out there, J.K. Rowling chose toads, cats, and owls, as allowed pets in Hogwarts; or maybe you are just curious about how to take care of these animals, then continue reading because this may be the class just for you!

In Care of Magical Pets, you will learn facts and interesting things of the animals students at Hogwarts love the most: toads, cats and owls! Learn how they are related to magic, how they are perceived by the muggle community, and of course learn the best way to take care of them! At the end of each lesson a Hall of Fame is awaiting you, where only the best pets have managed to get there!

Four Lessons, four assignments, four extra credits, a special project, and a final exam, as well as an opportunity to earn 300 points, a quill, and 4 amazing awards, is what this class offers you!

Please visit the class website HERE to find more information regarding the course, lessons and assignments

-----------------

Magical Mexico
Full-Year Class

Come along and prepare yourself for this fantastic journey around most important aspects of Mexican history, culture, and traditions! Important characters, memorable events, delicious food, spooky legends, beautiful traditions, and much, much more is awaiting you!

Please be my guests and let me guide you in this unique adventure. Through each of the nine lessons we will be studying the most important aspects of Mexican culture. Each lesson will be about a special tradition or event that is celebrated in each month, and in case one month doesn’t have a major celebration, fear not! We will talk about another aspect like Literature, Sports, Art or Cinema.

600 points, 2 quills, and 4 awards. What else can you ask for?! Magical Mexico has all that for you!

Interested? Please make sure to take a look at the class website HERE to find more information about the class, and the complete syllabus.

Don't be afraid, give yourself the opportunity to learn about another country and culture! I promise you we will have lots of fun!
Magical Mexico, a journey you don't want to miss, a journey you won't regret!!
Last edited by Prof. Gustavo Flores on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prof. Zenix James
Moontrimmer

Postby Prof. Zenix James » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:33 am

Hooooray!

HOL 2010/2011 is already on a huge roll! The amount of new members for this summer is amazing and for all of you newbies there is one class that would be very useful for you to take...

HOL 101!

If you're confused with everything on HOL and would like a simpler way of figuring your way around, HOL 101 would be an excellent place to start. HOL 101 will teach you about your HOL house, Quidditch, the who's who of HOL, and many other sections around this wonderful site.

Click HERE to check out the class.

___

When Muggles and Magic Collide

Over the centuries, non-magic folk and those of the Wizarding world have been living side-by-side; basically, next door neighbors. Those of which we refer to as 'muggles' (or people who do not posses the ability to perform magic) have been kept in the dark about the existence of wizards and witches and their magic, but many have wondered why that has been necessary over all of these years. What caused witches and wizards to create a secret world with an immense distrust and superiority complex over the muggle world? At the end of the term, that will be your conclusion to make.

Within this class we will discuss many various topics and theories as to why this has happened:

Outline
Lesson One: Muggles, Magic, and the Wizarding World: The Beginning of Double Standards.
Lesson Two: Misconstruing Magic
Lesson Three: The Ministry of Magic: The Governing Body of the Magical World
Lesson Four: Unlawful Persecution - Including the Salem Witch Trials: The Cause, Myth, and Aftermath

Interested? Click HERE to see more!

___

And new this year for the first time is...

When Muggles and Magic Collide II No way.

The ideas behind WMMC II will be the same as the riginal class, but you will have four new lessons to choose from.

Overview:
Lesson One: The Evolution of Magic
Lesson Two: Blood Collision
Lesson Three: Muggles and Magic
Lesson Four: Making Magic

Click HERE to view this class a little bit more.

You do not have to take WMMC I to take WMMC II and you are not limited to taking only one per semester. If you want to take both in a term, you are more than welcome.

So, I look forward to seeing you all around!
Last edited by Prof. Zenix James on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Born This Way| Music <3|Book Lover

Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo.

Prof. Ashlee Sully
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Ashlee Sully » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:28 am

FANTASTIC BEASTS!

Fantastic Beasts is a full year class which looks at a whole range of fascinating creatures! This class uses Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, written by Newt Scamander, as a guide.

EXCITING CREATURES!
We study 31 creatures in total including the flobberworm, centaur, merpeople, basilisk, lethifold, kneazle, salamander, dragons, unicorn, puffskein, ashwinder, billywig, troll, sphinx, manticore, red cap and MORE!

AWARDS!
I know you love awards and in this class you have the opportunity to earn two (with more to come!). So far:
- "Fantastic Beasts Expert" is given to the people who correctly guess all 8 beasts from the monthly 'Creature Feature'.
- "FB Artist of the Month" is given to the people who submits the most creative extra credit.

CREATURE FEATURE AND CREATIVE CHALLENGES!
Each month you will be given a "Creature Feature" as part of your extra credit. What is this you ask? It's a clue that describes a creature from the FB book, simply guess which beast I am talking about and you'll receive 10 points! Guess them all during the year and receive an award. The creative challenge is the second part of your extra credit where you either DRAW a beast or WRITE a diary entry. The best picture and diary entry receives an award and everyone who attempts it receives points.

See the class website for more information!!
Retired Slytherin Professor || Lover of Chocolate || Addicted to Frogs

Prof. Silmarien Szilagyi
Oakshaft 79

Postby Prof. Silmarien Szilagyi » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:55 pm

Are you a linguophile in search of something new and different? Do you speak multiple languages and want to challenge yourself? Or, perhaps you want to learn a language not many people speak? If so, then Beginning Hungarian is the class for you!

In this class, you will learn the basics of Hungarian so that by the end of the year, hopefully you'll be able to understand, speak, and write some Hungarian. You will learn the history of the language, pronunciation, spelling, vocabulary, nouns, pronouns, verbs, and modifiers--everything you need to know to construct intelligible if simple sentences.

For an idea of what to expect, visit the class site HERE

Hope to see some of you in the class!
Thanks Cassie Lobiesk!
Ravenclaw DHoH || Alte Editor || Sci-Fi Enthusiast

Prof. Neville Prongs
Oakshaft 79

Postby Prof. Neville Prongs » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:15 pm

Are you the next Harry Potter or Lord Voldemort? Where would these two powerful wizards be without Beginners - Defense Against the Dark Arts?

Check out the Class Website and see if the class can help you take over the world, or save it from a dark wizard.

Throughout the year we will go over:
  • Lesson 1: Overview & History
  • Lesson 2: Dangerous Beast
  • Lesson 3: Dangerous Objects
  • Lesson 4: Dangerous Potions
  • Lesson 5: Aurors
  • Lesson 6: Death Eaters & Dark Wizards
  • Lesson 7: Dangerous Spells & Curses
  • Lesson 8: Dementors & Azkaban

Add in a few term projects and two exams and you've got yourself a class that can earn you 600 points for the year.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not the fighter type? Are you more of a fun and games type student, well I present to you Muggle Puzzles.

In this class, class website, we will learn and play some of the games muggles like to amuse themselves with.
  • Lesson 1: Word Search (September)
  • Lesson 2: Crossword (October)
  • Lesson 3: Sudoku (November)
  • Lesson 4: Logic Puzzle (December)
  • Final Exam (January)

Contact me, Neville Prongs, if you have any questions about either of these classes.
Last edited by Prof. Neville Prongs on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prof.Neville Prongs| Proud Slytherin||Defense Against the Dark Arts Beginners and Advanced| <33333 Rorey|

Prof. Ashlee Sully
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Ashlee Sully » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:01 am

Just added to the class roster:

DIVINATION!

Oh yes, it's back. Would you like to exercise your Inner Eye? Then this class is for you! It's a full year class that explores more than just Palmistry, Astrology and tea leaves. Enter the realm of "guess-work" and discover your future with Divination.

THE SYLLABUS
- Western and Chinese Astrology
- Palmistry
- Feng Shui
- Tasseography
- Cartomancy
- Crystallomancy
- Numerology
- Nostradamus and his Prophecies
- Runes

AWARDS, POINTS, QUILLS!
There are two awards. The first is the Crystal Ball Award and this is given each term to the students who have completed all assigned work for that term (4 assignments, 3 extra credit pieces and one exam). The second is given to a member from each house who earns the most points for the term!

You have the opportunity to earn 600 points and 2 quills which will surely help you graduate and lead your house to victory!

See the class website for more information, and the first lesson!
Retired Slytherin Professor || Lover of Chocolate || Addicted to Frogs

Prof. Charles Pendragon
No broom

Postby Prof. Charles Pendragon » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Arithmancy for Amateurs

Autumn Term 2010

INTRODUCTION
This course will give a basis for the study in arithmancy. No prior knowledge is needed, however if you know about arithmancy then this class should be a breeze! I look forward to a great and exciting term as you discovery the power of numbers. Throughout this term we will discover the magical powers that numbers hold. Each month there will be an assignment of sorts and you’ll have the opportunity to earn points for your house. If throughout this term you have any questions feel free to send me an HOL message (the best form of contact) and I should respond within 24 hours. To earn a quill in this class, you must earn a 60% or better as a final score in the course. This means that you can miss a few assignments and still pass. As an added bonus to those that have an “O+â€￾ (100%) or higher you shall be exempt from the examination.

COURSE SCHEDULE
September 2010: Lesson 1 Intro to Arithmancy
October 2010: Lesson 2 Number Meanings
November 2010: Lesson 3 Heart, Social, & Character Numbers
December 2010: Lesson 4 Making Predications
January 2011: Final Project

AWARDS

Class awards are separated into two separate categories: Monthly and Term. A special thank you to Jenna Hathaway for all of the awards graphics.

Monthly Awards

Monthly awards are given each month to the most deserving students. The following award(s) are considered monthly awards and will be awarded each month:

Arithmancer of the Month: Awarded to the arithmancy student that turns in the best and most creative homework, and has the most indepth descission. This student must also have the BEST extra credit for that month.

Term Awards

Term Awards are given at the end of each term based on the students overall performance compared to other students.

Pythagorean Award- Brilliance: Awarded to the arithmancy student that shows the most brilliance during a the term.

Order of Wenlock- Originality: Briget Wenlock was a famous Arithmancer that discovered the power of the number 7. This award is given to the student that shows the most creativity and originality this term.
Special Thanks to Joel Aireserkeiel for the Signature & Avatar!

Rosanna Gullveig
Oakshaft 79

Postby Rosanna Gullveig » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:50 pm

Wizarding Science
(full year class)

How does magic work? How is magical ability transmitted from one generation to another? How does an invisibility cloak work? What about Bertie Bott's beans? How can there be so many flavours? Ever wonder how Time Turners work?

If you've ever asked yourself questions about the Wizarding World, especially how stuff works, this is the class for you!

Wizarding Science is a full year class (September-June). This class will be composed of 10 lessons (5 each term). Each month, we'll focus on a different aspect of magic and its links to science, everything from magical genetics, to broomsticks, to the Sorting Hat. Basically, we'll try to explain how things work in a scientific manner. Lessons for the first term will focus more on magical theory and the basis of magic (what is magic, transfiguration, genetics...), while second term lessons will focus more on specific topics related to magic (invisibility, alchemy...). There's bound to be something to satisfy the curiosity of every budding wizard and/or scientist. In order to earn a quill each term, you must earn a minimum of 120 points.

For more information, please consult the Class Website.

Arithmancy
(1 term class)

Numbers are all around us. Arithmancy deals with the study of numbers and how they influence ours lives.

This 1 term class (September-January) will examine what your name and birthdate say about your personality and your destiny. It will also examine other ways that numbers influence our world. We will learn about the Golden Ratio and how nature is all about ONE perfect number. We will also discuss patterns, and how art and music are methods of counting and sharing numbers. All in all, this class will help you look at numbers in a totally new way.

This class is composed of 5 lessons (there is no final exam or project), each of which will focus on one specific topic. Assignments are due at the end of each month, and you must earn a minimum of 120 points in order to earn a quill.

For more information, please consult the Class Website.
In the midst of our lives, we must find the magic that makes our souls soar - Evelyn Beilenson

Prof. Miette Bynny
Moontrimmer

Postby Prof. Miette Bynny » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:08 pm

Hey All. My Class is being revamped a bit this year due to new movies coming and such. BUT if you like monsters and you like movies! Then my class is for you!

We will learn about monsters and their roles in past and present movies and compare to the creatures in the Harry Potter world!

All Homework will be True/False, Multiple Choice, Fill ins, Matching and short answers! The only essays will be for Extra credit and you also get SHINY AWARDS!!!!!

So come visit my class site here : Monsters In Cinema Class Site

Remember MONSTERS IN CINEMA!!!

Learn everything from:
  • Vampires
  • werewolves
  • TheBoogeyman
  • ZOMBIES (bwahahahah)
  • Childhood horrors
  • Etc......

SO JOIN TODAY!!!! :P :lol: :P :lol:
Last edited by Prof. Miette Bynny on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The lovely medal was made by the Awesome Dairy Oh Moo Cow aka,Dario Å ehović

Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Two

Postby Prof. Rorey Padfoot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Are you running low on school supplies? Do you need to visit the joke shop to impress your friends? Are you ready to get out of the castle and get some shopping done?

A Visit to Diagon Alley is what you need!

Class Website: HERE

Class Syllabus:

Class Schedule:
Lesson 1: The Leaky Cauldron
Lesson 2: Gringotts Wizarding Bank
Lesson 3: Ollivander’s
Lesson 4: Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions
Lesson 5: Flourish & Blott’s
Lesson 6: Eelyops Owl Emporium
Lesson 7: Quality Quidditch Supplies
Lesson 8: Magical Menagerie
Lesson 9: Gambol & Japes/Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes
Lesson 10: Knockturn Alley/ Borgin & Burkes
Bonus Lesson: The Daily Prophet

We had a lot of fun visiting Hogsmeade last year, so I hope you enjoy this trip as well. A Visit to Diagon Alley is a different type of class. It's not too serious, but gives enough information for students to learn more about the shops. All classwork has one due date and students can turn in homework anytime between Sept. 1st and Jan. 15th. No extensions will be given, and all lessons and assignments will be up on September 1st.

Would you rather spend your evenings gazing out of the Astronomy Tower?

Astronomy

Come with us as we discover what is in space and learn something new. This is a full year class with a chance to earn two quills and 600 points.

Class Website: HERE

Course Syllabus:

Lesson 1: Introduction -September
Lesson 2: Astronomers - October
Lesson 3: The Universe and Galaxies– November
Lesson 4: Planets – December
Mid Term Exam – January
Lesson 5: The Stars and Moons – February
Lesson 6: Comets and Asteroids – March
Lesson 7: Objects outside of our Galaxy – April
Lesson 8: Constellations - May
Final Exam – June

I've enjoyed teaching Astronomy the past two years and hope to see many new faces this year!

Last by certainly not least, Dumbledore's Army. Order of the Phoenix is my favorite Harry Potter book, so I wanted to pay it tribute.

Class website: HERE

Class Syllabus:

Lesson 1: Why was Dumbledore’s Army Created
Lesson 2: The Members of the DA
Lesson 3: The Ministry of Magic and Lord Voldemort
Lesson 4: The Battle at the Ministry
Term Project: Create your own Army
Final Exam

This is more of a discussion type class. How do you think Dumbledore's Army changed the characters? Come ready to think and opinions of all sorts are welcome, just make them respectable.

If you have any questions about any of the classes above, feel free to send me, Rorey Padfoot, a HOL Message click here and I will be happy to help!
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~pr_pad~*~Hufflepuff Co-HoH~

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:35 pm

YAY! You have received your letter of invitation to attend Hogwarts! You look at the list of required things to bring to school and see the word WAND.

So of course, when you visit Diagon Alley ... you visit Ollivanders (in business since 382 bc). But, but, he's on vacation!? NOW WHAT?

You make your OWN wand, that's what!

Come look at Wand-Making and find out if you would like to make your very own wand. Symbologies of woods (and other substances), lengths, cores and other things are discussed -- as well as practicalities of how to actually make your wand. All the lessons are up. The assignments will be posted in each month in which they are due.

The class subforum is located here. Any sorts of questions or notifications of assignments received or listing of awards earned will be there. If you have a question before you sign up, please do ask!
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “General Classes Discussion”