What Do You Look For In An Hol Class?

Discussion About Classes and Projects at HOL
Prof. Nina Messersmith
No broom

Post by Prof. Nina Messersmith » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:13 pm

I was just curious. There are so many classes offered at HOL and we can only pick a hand full. What do you look for when selecting a class? Do you look for familar professors or do you try out the new professors? I notice some classes can be pretty time consuming, do you prefer a class that had manadtory assignments or not?

I personally enjoy a class that is eye-catching and full of pictures! I also enjoy when the professor delivers a classroom lesson and makes it fun. I'm not into a bunch of facts listed on a web page. I like to have fun and know that the professor has a good personality! I'd love to hear what you think /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Morag McQueen
No broom

Post by Morag McQueen » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:06 pm

Ooh, hard one... What do I look for?
Usually I have a good mix of Full-Year and One-Term Classes, as well as a mixture of known Professors and new ones. The most important thing for me, when choosing classes, has to be the subject though... I'll always look for something that appeals to me, i.e. music, performing arts and such or "original" hp classes. The least important thing on the other hand, is whether the person teaching the class is a professor or a student teacher. I mentioned the mix between known and unknown Teachers, because I like to know that will have classes to go to at the end of the year, as well as the challenge and risk of something I don't know will stay... This way I also get to earn quills, rather than just have to choose from the handful of classes that remain open, just because one was cancelled...
Many Thanks to the wonderful Efie from SparkleissaInk for both Signature and Avatar.
Prof. Notus Greenhorn
No broom

Post by Prof. Notus Greenhorn » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:53 pm

It's all about the subject. I have to have some intrests in what is being taught, or else I won't enjoy the class. I also like to see that the classes are being run by active professors, ones who are always posting in the forums and doing their best to keep HOL up and running /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Silver Dragon
No broom

Post by Silver Dragon » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:01 pm

I choose my classes mostly by the subject matter in the classes themselves. I like to learn new things so it doesn't matter to me if these classes are "Hogwarts" apporoved or an in general type class. I have learned quite a lot so far and can't wait to see what's in store for this year. I also tend to choose full-term classes over single term. This is because of time constrints for me personally and I usually won't remember to sign up for other classes to replace the single tem classes. (Red hair - Rusty brain) Oops!
Dragons -- Top of the Food Chain!
Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Post by Niniel Sanders » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:22 pm

The first thing I look at when chosing a class is the subject of the class. This it really the alpha and omega for me. If the subject appeals to me I will look at the class homepage at least and quite possibly sign up for the class (though usually I have so many classes I want to take I have to sort through the ones I would *like* to do and only pick a few of them) That aside.

Once I look at the homepage there is nothing worse than a homepage that you can clearly see no effort was put into creating. Here I mean with either very little material there yet and/or very bad layout. Black letters on white pages with no formatting whatsoever just doesn't cut it in my book. I always very much enjoy it if the teacher has more than two lessons there already. It is some kind of ensurance for me as a student that the teacher has something there for me to do. It is of course nice when there are lessons enough for the entire duration of the class, but less can sut it, but if there is only one lesson and there was another class I was looking at which already had 5 or 6 lessons up I would chose the one with 5 or 6 lessons.

I do sometimes look at whether it is a well-known professor teaching the subject. I do need quills after all, so I usually try to have a few "safe" classes where the professor has successfully taught a class before, preferrably the class I am signing up for. It is an indication that the class is unlikely to be cancelled.

As Morag I have absolutely no eye for whethe a person is a Professor or a Student Teacher. That doesn't mean anything to me. In my experience the classes are just as likely to be a success/failiour no matter what the title of the one teaching it is.

Those were my two (rather long) cents.
Last edited by Niniel Sanders on Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermione Smith
No broom

Post by Hermione Smith » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:05 pm

i mostly look for classes that i'm interested in taking and would concider fun rather then actual work.
Harry potter rocks!
Prof. Hermione Pena
No broom

Post by Prof. Hermione Pena » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:34 am

First I just skim over the list of classes offered and see which ones sound interesting just based on the name. In all my years I think I've only taken one Hogwarts-like class (Charms), those just don't seem to interest me as much (ironically, as this is Hogwarts OnLine). Pretty much I look for classes that look like fun, and don't require too much work, as I have Muggle school to be keeping up with as well.

Then I'll visit the websites of the ones that grab my interest. What I'd prefer to see is an outline of what the class will be covering, and how much work is necessary to pass the class - already having up the first lesson and assignment is even better. I have taken classes when that information was not fully available, but it'd have to be a class that really looks interesting.

If I'd taken a class by someone, and there were problems along the way, I probably wouldn't take one of their classes again. On the other hand, I would be more likely to take a class taught by someone I'd previously had lessons from, and greatly enjoyed. Besides that it doesn't matter who the teacher is, or if they're a student teacher or a professor.
Magic is the sun that makes a rainbow out of rain
Magic keeps the dream alive to try and try again
Magic is the love that stays when good friends have to leave
I do believe in magic, I believe
Prof. Ashlee Sully
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Ashlee Sully » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:09 am

When looking at class websites and hoping for the first lesson, keep in mind that a lot of teachers (myself included) don't link it/post it purely because in the past students have sent in the lesson without even being part of the class ... and sometimes before sign-ups have even begun! So that information might not be available.

This years list does look great, though!
Last edited by Prof. Ashlee Sully on Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Slytherin Professor || Lover of Chocolate || Addicted to Frogs

Jenna Hathaway
Moontrimmer

Post by Jenna Hathaway » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:47 am

I used these criterias when picking a class:
1) The subject. It has to be something that interests me, otherwise there's no point in taking it, right? Because this is an online fun school where no classes is mandatory, I think we all should take advantage of that.
2) The teacher. After experiencing some class inactivity and cancellation last term, I'm determined to be more careful this term and only pick classes taught by Professors/Student Teachers whose activity is guaranteed. When I see them around a lot and know they have always had successful classes, I'll surely sign up for their class.
3) The class website. In order to see whether I'll like the lessons offered and if the homeworks will be something too hard for me to do or not, I'll need to see a sample lesson and homework.

And for additional points, sometimes I also look for how many point opportunities this class offer as well as if it offered some awards. Because it's always nice to have more of those in your HOL file, of course. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />
Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure
Prof. Iruel Riddle
Oakshaft 79

Post by Prof. Iruel Riddle » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:07 pm

I feel a bit strange posting here, as I teach a class myself, but there's no rule that says I can't. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />. So, anyway.. getting on topic..

I don't have much criteria about what classes I take, professor or layout wise. To me, it doesn't matter who teaches it, or what their website looks like. Unless the text isn't formatted correctly, of course. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />. I can't stand having to scroll to the side to read someone's text. Pictures, to me, are extra. If someone puts them up, great. If they don't, oh well. I don't have any on my classes site simply because I don't know WHAT to put up, not due to being lazy. It's hard for me to decide on an image to put up that would please everyone, so I just have left it blank for the moment.
This probably goes for the other professors as well, so I don't judge based on images knowing that I'd hate if people didn't take my class based on that. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />. Even as a student, I never judged that way. I always figured that the professor had taken time to write the lessons, and that was always enough for me.
Anyway, moving on..
My only criteria, aside from what I said, is the subject of the class, and the amount, and difficulty, of the homework. Due to school, I don't have time to take any classes with extensive amounts of homework. I don't have to worry about this for most classes, but there are some that I've seen that I know I'd never be able to handle. ^^;
Prof. Iruel Riddle|pr_rid|Slytherin

"You know your place in the sky
You hold your course and your aim
And, each in your season returns and returns, and is always the same.."
-Javert, Stars, Les Miserables
Ystva Earthy
No broom

Post by Ystva Earthy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:13 am

hmm.. as a newbie, my decisions is based on:
the subject! i know nothing yet (teachers & their experience with classes before, or trouble come from massive homework). so, the only hope for me is selecting by interesting subject.. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
7 3/4 inches from a walnut tree, with a hippogriff feather core
May Lee
No broom

Post by May Lee » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:25 pm

i think i will choose the classes that benefit to me even in my real life.. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
>> Burn the evils of the world with brilliant truth <<
Scott Novak
No broom

Post by Scott Novak » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:17 pm

I want to make sure I have both full year and one term classes, so that way I won't be stuck with the same thing all year. Adds variety. I don't think I'll take any classes from the same Prof., so that way I'll get to know more people here.

ANd of course, I have to be interested in the subject they are teaching. I usually want something that will help me in real life as well. I can't wait till sign ups!

This incredible avatar is courtesy of Prof. Anya Chutney

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities-Dumbledore
Marcella Warrick
No broom

Post by Marcella Warrick » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:05 pm

This year I wanted to make sure that I had some full year classes and some one term classes so I could different classes next term.

I also look for class subject: this is the most important. If it is not a subject I am interested in, I probably won't sign up for this class. If it is a subject I've never heard of, I'll look at the class website and see what it's all about. Perhaps it sounds interesting, perhaps not. Then for the class subjects I AM interested in, I go over the whole class website to see if it sounds like fun /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Then I check for content and homework and stuff. As long as the class has some good content and really sparks my interest, I'll sign up for it.
|| Hufflepuff || First Year || ma962 ||
Megan Morgan
No broom

Post by Megan Morgan » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:06 am

Seeing as I just signed up for HOL, I didn't really look at the professor's when deciding on classes. I looked at the subject matter on the ones that sounded interesting to me, the narrowed it by ones I knew I would be more likely to keep interest in. Also ones that have work, but too much so as to make sure I don't get behind in my actual studies in real life.
Last edited by Megan Morgan on Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mawy Daigle
No broom

Post by Mawy Daigle » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:29 pm

I like to make a list of classes that I think I would like. Then I go into the description of the classes and make notes. Does it sound interesting? Does it tell me a little aobut what will be covered? Does the person teaching it let me know anything about themselves? The first 5 that I find interesting and informative are the classes that I pick.
Hugs,
Mawy
Michiyo Ogawa
No broom

Post by Michiyo Ogawa » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:17 am

For me, I like to look at the subjects first. Does it look interesting/does it appeal to me? I don't want to take a subject I know I won't be interested in. Er.. I have no opinions about the teachers yet, though; I'm a new student. Then, I look at the duration of the class (one-term/full-term). I have an active school life at the moment, so I want to choose classes that won't greatly interfere with my studies. Classes that relate to real life are a bonus!
Last edited by Michiyo Ogawa on Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Narcissa-Rae Crystal
No broom

Post by Narcissa-Rae Crystal » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:49 pm

What I look for in a class is a challenge, once in a while some fun, and thats it. I like simple classes, but I'm always up for a challenge. I like interesting classes too, because alteast I'll have something to continue with and not just do nothing.
Image1st Year/Gryffindor/Paranoid Panther/Sig made by Lucy Berkeley
Zach Goldenfarb
No broom

Post by Zach Goldenfarb » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:58 am

A responsible professor who checks your homework on time. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Gryffindor 2007-2008 for the cup!
You know you want to win.
MAKE AS MANY POINTS AS YOU CAN!

Return to “General Class Discussions”