Week 3 - Roleplay

Prof. Amy Lupin
Tinderblast

Week 3 - Roleplay

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:07 pm

Please note: This thread has been posted a few hours early and will only be unlocked around midnight HOL-time.

Once the chaos from the natural disaster has subsided, you're all allowed back into the hall. Glinda, rather flustered, is trying to interest people in another discussion but she breaks off as someone else steps smartly into the room.

"Can I have everyone's attention, please?" a young man clad in navy blue calls out. "I'm Officer Jamie Reagan. I regret to inform you all that the One Ring that was on display here has been stolen."
Shocked gasps ring out. "Quite so," he continues. "We have reason to believe that one of you may have been complicit in this, perhaps unknowingly." He grimaces then continues, "In all the confusion and panic surrounding the recent natural disaster, someone managed to gain access to the high security case and abscond with the item. The ring is one of the most powerful objects in any universe and we fear the consequences if it has been taken to another universe where people are unequipped to deal with any fallout from it. I'll be coming around asking you all questions about your whereabouts in the last day or two and anyone you may have spoken to. No one may leave the conference hall while this investigation is underway. Thank you for your patience and cooperation"

In this RP task, we want to hear how you react to being under suspicion (and whether you suspect those around you) and also the thought of someone manipulating one fictional universe's power for their personal gain in another. As with last time, to earn 10 house points and a boost of 100 to your character score, you need to post 3 times with your posts being 30 words or more. The deadline is 11.59 PM HOL-time on 21 October.

Guidelines:
  • Do not post one after the other: wait for at least one other person to post before posting again
  • Try to interact with other characters, though observing and mulling over what is going on is also acceptable
  • Start each post with your character’s name.
  • When starting a conversation with someone or referring to someone, please use their character name to avoid confusion (you can put it in brackets if your character doesn’t know it yet)
  • Do not control what someone else’s character does or says in any way (IE. godmodding): you must wait for the other person to provide their reactions. You cannot control the time or the overall events, neither can your character leave the room.
  • If you'd like to bow out after posting 3 times, then just make people aware not to interact with you by putting an 'Out of Character Note' to that effect in brackets after your final post.
  • Be polite and considerate: try to acknowledge and include everyone. Even if your characters are disagreeing, be very careful not to upset the HOLer you’re interacting with.

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale
Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Re: Week 3 - Roleplay

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:06 am

Raymond’s left eyebrow rose to an almost unbelievable height on his forehead when he heard the news of the theft and just what was taken from the display. Who puts such a powerful object on display without any proper security? The security would have benefitted from courses given by his precinct.

When Officer Reagan told them they were all under suspicion, Raymond subconsciously straightened his back (not that he needed it, but it was almost a tic by now) and answered their questions. “Past two days there were only two places that I have been more than a couple of minutes. My precinct nine-nine in Brooklyn and my home,” he started. Raymond knew that he did not take the artifact, but he also realized that an investigation would have to take place. The captain would only get offended if they pressed the issue too much. He had too many problems in the beginning of his career with this to have patience to suffer it again.

“As for people I talked to,” Raymond continued. “I talked with my husband, who can also confirm my presence home, my dog, all detectives under my command, New York criminals and other people involved with such events,” he paused in thought, then added. “Here, I talked to Miss Knope and to the man known as Hiccup, for more than a few minutes.”

Trying to be helpful and wanting to escape the sheer boredom of mingling and interacting with others, Raymond offered, “I am an exemplary police officer with decades of experience. Once you clear me, I am happy to assist the investigation in any way I can.”

While waiting for any other instructions, Raymond started slowly circling the room, eyeing the rest of the people here, trying to pinpoint who might have been the culprit. He had his suspicions, but he waited for other people to speak, so they could be either confirmed or not.
Will Lestrange
Cleansweep One

Post by Will Lestrange » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:20 am

Aladdin was confused by Officer Reagan's speech. Although he had enjoyed stealing things in the past, he had never heard of the "One Ring" mentioned by Officer Reagan. For now, he was deciding to wait for the questioning to begin; even though he had stolen things in the past, he knew he didn't steal any rings!
Iverian Gnash
No broom

Post by Iverian Gnash » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Hiccup was rather confused. He had not seen any ring lying around. He looked around the room and noted a few people who looked suspicious and nervous. For right now though, he wouldn’t blame anyone without proof of it.
If you want to know what a man is truly like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. -Sirius Black
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:18 pm

Inigo Montoya was exhausted. Shoveling bags full of sand, running into houses to save anyone who might be sleeping, all the rest of the activity of the time of this 'disaster' left him longing for more food and a bed. Maybe not in that order. When some person came in yelling about a ring which had been stolen, his first impulse was to shrug. So what. There are bunches of rings in the world -- what's the difference between one ring and another?

He knew, also, having been on both sides of whatever the current law is, that there was a difference between acting and being, and so far the only person he saw alleging to be innocent was the police officer [Raymond]. The others [Aladdin and Hiccup] looked more confused than anything. Inigo really didn't care. He was hungry. He wandered over to the table and picked up another piece of unfamiliar food. Yes, it was cold, but oh it was delicious! He filled a plate with more food and found a comfortable place where he could sit (with his back to a wall) and eat and watch what was going on.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Post by Arianna Stonewater » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:27 am

Leslie Knope was briefly shocked by the announcement. A theft? Perhaps the "impending natural disaster" was all a ruse! Someone here must have planned it! Leslie scanned the room. If this were City Hall, her first instinct would be to find Greg Pikitis. He loved making a fool of her. But the One Ring....like from Ben's Lord of the Rings stories? That doesn't interest her enough for Pikitis to steal it. What had he said about it.....it could be used to control people? Hm. Well, there were some suspicious people here.

Leslie turned to the man [Officer Jamie Reagan] and said, "I know quite a bit about the ring from my husband Ben. If you need anything, we'd be happy to help you! I've watched a lot of crime shows and i even used to date a cop so i know all about interrogation! Anyway, I definitely didn't steal it, I was busy being the Emergency Czar" and with that she turned out all of her pockets to reveal lots of candy wrappers and no ring.

Leslie waited for more questions to be asked of her as she eyed the more suspicious characters in the room.
Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Post by Sirius Fudge » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:58 am

Will was a bit concerned after hearing the man [Officer Reagan]. One thing for sure though was that he had nothing to do with it. But based on his past experiences, one's innocence has nothing to do with the whole thing. Narratives flashed through his head. 'Must not mention my wife, my father, not the two of them.' That was his initial thought. He heard an officer [Officer Raymond] and a woman [Leslie Knope] spoke, clearing themselves. He decided to wait out for the questioning, hoping that no other pirate or worse, Davey Jones, was behind this whole thing.

Post Graduate | Huffle Staff | HQT | HOL Class of 2018
Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:27 am

Raymond moved closer to Miss Knope after hearing her reply to the questions they were asked as a whole. “Nice to meet you again, Miss Knope,” he nodded and glanced at the gathering group. “Interesting turn of events, this theft,” Raymond mentioned.

“Who do you think took it?” he asked her. From their previous discussion, Raymond did not believe that she would have taken it, but if he learned anything on his job was that sometimes the criminal was the person you suspected the least. Still, it was useful to learn what other people think.
Cody Lewis
Cleansweep One

Post by Cody Lewis » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:57 am

Han Solo once again found himself confined to a room he did not want to be in. He felt his ears go red as people glanced his way. He suddenly regretted mentioning that he would only help others if credits were involved -- this One Ring thing sounded like it would fetch a pretty penny if someone found the right buyer.

He had his suspicions, of course, but he would never rat out a fellow smuggler... unless it saved his own skin. Clearing his name was priority number one, so he approached a confused-looking Hiccup, who he judged to be the least likely suspect.

"Listen, kid. If anyone asks, I was with you when the ring was stolen. Tell them you were telling me about all your dragon stuff." They won't have a hard time believing that, Han thought to himself.
Iverian Gnash
No broom

Post by Iverian Gnash » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Hiccup looked at Han for a second. “Really? You want me to vouch for you? Fine. I really don’t think that anyone stole it. What if it just got knocked under something and is missing?”
If you want to know what a man is truly like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. -Sirius Black
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Inigo felt he was becoming a bit too comfortable in his chair. His stomach was halfway full and he was fighting off sleep. His muscles were trained for something other than shoveling sand and lifting heavy sandbags to complete a dike and he was exhausted. The conversation around him, though, was interesting. Evidently this 'ring' was of some import. Maybe it belonged to a Queen or King and had a talisman on it which was needed to close agreements between nations?

He looked at the faces of all those nearby and listened to their conversations. As a swordsman, he had been taught to look at the face, the eyes, of a person, to watch what they were going to do -- as well as follow the feel of the flow of energy around them. Those were the give-away if a person was going to attempt to skewer you (or even, he realized sleepily) if a horse intended to kick you! It was funny. The faces of some people were true to their words, the faces of others were not.

The one man, Han, his ears had gone red. Inigo felt that that indicated he'd not taken the ring. If he had, he'd have been monitoring his reactions ahead of time and not allowed that. As for the kid, Hiccup, he seemed a decent fellow. Inigo thought that the idea he proposed, that the ring had been knocked under something, had merit. He wasn't close enough to the others to hear all of what they said, but he could still watch body posture and their faces.

He ate some more of the (second) plateful of food he had, and drank from the mug which he had filled with a refreshing liquid. He hoped he didn't fall asleep mid-bite, so made sure to swallow each mouthful, despite distractions of the people involved in this commotion.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Post by Sirius Fudge » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:14 am

Will noticed an undeniable tension in the room, something that may burst at any moment, that could potentially result to more harm than good. A conversation to give more time might be inevitable, and may be what they need now more than ever.

"If I may speak for a moment," Will raised his hand, trying to address the question to Officer Reagan, or to any one with authority in the room. 'It's now or never,' he thought. "It was noticeable from the very start of the day that there is something wrong here. The unexplainable things that happened, from the rooms with impossible features, changing situations every now and then, the magical lady from earlier coming from nowhere, it seems that you have things in control. We for sure would also like to know who is behind all of this, but we should consider all of us here, us here in this room, including you, the authorities, organizers, everyone, not just us. How can you be sure that the thief is one of us? Or is this a test, another one of your planned activities?" Will ended his statement. "I was just asking a question, I mean, there are other people in this building for sure. It could not just be us, seeing as we have just been here in this room, all day long. I might be wrong though, but there is that other possibility we seem to forget."

Will suddenly regretted his choice of actions, and went back to observing the whole lot of people in the room.

Post Graduate | Huffle Staff | HQT | HOL Class of 2018
Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Post by Arianna Stonewater » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:49 am

Leslie Knope looked at the officer [Raymond]. "Well, in Pawnee everyone is innocent until proven guilty. But then again, I've met some pretty terrible people in the government. Since the ring was in a case, I doubt it just fell and got lost, unless someone opened the case and dropped it. He [Will] makes a good point; ARE there are other people here? And with all of the valuables here, surely there is also security? Maybe cameras? Or some kind of magic like the Bubble Woman? Surely SOMEONE must have seen something..... As for me, I'd just start asking questions alphabetically, so there's no bias, and ask everyone."
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:04 am

Inigo Montoya, finally slowing on his eating, gave more attention to the talk going on around him. A server came to the table, bearing a hot steaming something, what appeared to be a fluid something, in a large container. He thought to himself, a drink would be nice, and he returned to the table with all the food. In doing so, he overheard what the other swordsman [Will] was saying. Ah, someone actually wondering what is going on and not being all accusing and pointing fingers.

He also heard a tiny fragment of what the woman [Leslie] was saying. He snorted quietly. In his experience, such as in Florian, those in power were more the criminals than those locked up.

But then, the scent of the hot steaming substance wafted to him. What was this delicious fragrance? He eagerly poured some for himself, then tasted it.
Cody Lewis
Cleansweep One

Post by Cody Lewis » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:16 am

"Sure, kid, whatever you say. Maybe nobody took it," Han Solo responded to Hiccup's theory. "But the important part we need to focus on is that I didn't take it." He gave him a friendly clap on the shoulder before making his way to the table of food where Inigo was pouring himself a drink. Han poured one for himself as well.

"Inigo, old friend! What are we drinking to?"
Gail Allen
Moontrimmer

Post by Gail Allen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 am

Robin Hood

Robin made his way closer to the one that had spoken about others being just as likely to have taken the Ring as them [Will Turner]. At least that one seemed to have his head on right and he didn't look as strange to Robin as many of the others here.

"I think your ideas are likely to be right" he said when he reached him.
"It's almost always the rich and powerful who steal from the poor. Especially if it's about something like this Ring of theirs: Something that will be able to influence lots of people... if that doesn't sound like something someone in power would want to have, I don't know what does."
Thank you Cassie for the signature!
Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:42 pm

Raymond nodded at what Miss Knope was saying. He had the same thoughts as well. “I think we just need to have our eyes peeled,” Raymond paused in distaste after using such an idiom. “Do keep me updated if you see or hear anything,” he nodded and started moving around the room again, doing his own investigations.

(OOC: Please, do not interact with my character anymore, thank you!)
Gail Allen
Moontrimmer

Post by Gail Allen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:47 pm

Robin Hood

Robin kept his ears open for other conversation too though, particularly the one between the law enforcement. People like that were always worth keeping an eye on when it came to stealing in his experience. And these two seemed just a little bit too eager to find someone else to blame; that person in the rule being him, but at least there was a chance they might not know that here and he certainly wasn't going to tell them that just now.
Thank you Cassie for the signature!
Iverian Gnash
No broom

Post by Iverian Gnash » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Hiccup found Han rather funny. He was like a smarter Tuffnut. Hiccup made his way around the room looking for anyone who looked suspicious in any way and still keeping an eye out for that ring.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:36 pm

Inigo had just finished his first taste of this wonderful, intoxicating beverage. The flavour, the richness, the wonder of it. He heard Han's voice (or course, he'd already seen Han moving closer) and he raised his face.
"I don't know what we are drinking 'to'. Maybe the strangeness of this place? But, what are we drinking? This is wonderful."

He faced Han fully. Tiny traces of hot chocolate (made with real chocolate and real cream) lingered on the tips of his moustache and he licked them off.

Return to “Character Clash”