Week 2 - Roleplay

Sky Alton
Comet 140

Week 2 - Roleplay

Post by Sky Alton » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:04 am

Just as everyone is starting to wonder what on earth is meant to be happening here, a bright light winks into life up near the ceiling. As it gracefully descends, it manifests into a gleaming bubble of no inconsiderable size. It comes to rest a foot above the floor in the very centre of the room. With a melodious pop, the bubble vanishes and a beautiful woman in more sparkles than should be strictly allowed steps down from mid-air.
“It’s good to see me, isn’t it?” Glinda the Good Witch (of the North, South or whatever direction she’s particularly feeling that day) addresses the room, “No need to respond, that was rhetorical.”
She cocks her head to one side, then glances around at everyone, beaming.
“I’m so glad to see you all got here safely… we can’t all come and go by bubble, after all,” she ponders for another moment, then claps her hands, “But now to business.” She strides forward, apparently just for the effect, then dramatically swings around. “The I.O.I.I.O.F,” she pauses as though to make sure she said that right, “Would like you all to contribute to some new research they’re drawing up about heroes. To wit, how heroic deeds come about. To do that, we need to have a discussion. A round table, if you will….”
She glances about the room. All there is is the oblong food table and a smallish hexagonal one over to one side with a few of Leslie’s binders on it.
“I suppose it’ll do… but a little more central.” Glinda mutters. She waves the oversized wand she’s holding at the table. Nothing happens. She does it again … nothing continues to happen. She taps it against the full skirts of her dress. “Is this thing on? Oh! Never mind. Congregate over there, please.”
Glinda stands at the head of the table and rearranges her skirts.
“Now, to begin: in your day to day life, do you feel the overwhelming need or wish to help others?”

In this RP task, we want to hear what your character thinks of the topic under discussion (drawing from their own experiences, expectations and prejudices) but we also want you to respond and build on what your fellow characters are saying: it needs to be a conversation (and, yes, that means you can totally disagree). You may leave the crowd around the discussion table and talk in smaller groups around the room if you wish. As with last time, to earn 10 house points and a boost of 100 to your character score, you need to post 3 times with your posts being 30 words or more. The deadline is 11.59 PM HOL-time on October 14th.

Guidelines:
  • Do not post one after the other: wait for at least one other person to post before posting again
  • Try to interact with other characters, though observing and mulling over what is going on is also acceptable
  • Start each post with your character’s name.
  • When starting a conversation with someone or referring to someone, please use their character name to avoid confusion (you can put it in brackets if your character doesn’t know it yet)
  • Do not control what someone else’s character does or says in any way (IE. godmodding): you must wait for the other person to provide their reactions. You cannot control the time or the overall events, neither can your character leave the room.
  • If you'd like to bow out after posting 3 times, then just make people aware not to interact with you by putting an 'Out of Character Note' to that effect in brackets after your final post.
  • Be polite and considerate: try to acknowledge and include everyone. Even if your characters are disagreeing, be very careful not to upset the HOLer you’re interacting with.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)
Iverian Gnash
No broom

Re: Week 2 - Roleplay

Post by Iverian Gnash » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:56 pm

Hiccup
Hiccup was sitting with Roran and continuing to talk when a lady dressed all in sparkles interrupted their conversation. She told them to go into groups and discuss whether or not they felt an overwhelming need or wish to help others. Hmmm, this wasn’t going to be easy. Hiccup joined a group at a table that was quickly filling up.
If you want to know what a man is truly like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. -Sirius Black
Vanessa Tilley
Oakshaft 79

Post by Vanessa Tilley » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:20 pm

Lara looked up from her conversation with Mulan and just stared at this newly arrived woman that appeared out of a bubble for a moment. "There is something you don't see everyday" Lara said quietly. Lara listened as the woman, she says her name is Glinda, was speaking. Lara thought Glinda seemed a bit odd, to say the least, but she appeared to be a part of whoever sent her the invitation to this event.

Lara looked in the direction of the table Glinda had pointed at. Lara thought that not everyone would fit at the table but decided it was best to go sit at the hexagonal table to get a better idea of just what is going on. Lara took a seat in the middle of the table and watched as a man took his seat at the table as well.

"Hello. I don't believe we have met yet. I'm Lara." Lara said to the new arrival.
Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:08 pm

Raymond congratulated himself for being successful enough at dodging other people, because after he moved to one of the book walls, no one spoke to him again. When the weird floating woman arrived, Raymond wondered if perhaps this was all a dream or a hallucination to something being put into his food or drink. He would not put it past Peralta to do something, especially with Halloween so near.

He clutched the binder he had in his hand and neared the hexagonal table, which already had some people sitting behind it. Why nobody started the discussion Raymond would never know, but it only affirmed his earlier thoughts about the people present.

“I am a police officer,” Raymond started, crossing his arms. Some of the people here looked as if they had problems with authority. After decades on the force, he was an old hand at spotting miscreants. Raymond stared, almost glared at some that he thought were such people, daring them to disparage his chosen profession. “I am proud that I help others every day, but I would not call it an overwhelming need or desire,” he continued, relaxing his stance. “Although, I admit that I feel far more useful as an active detective, than be a police officer with a comfortable, but ultimately safe, desk job.” Raymond finished, almost shuddering at his memory when he got a promotion to one of such jobs. They were one of the worst days of his life.
Iverian Gnash
No broom

Post by Iverian Gnash » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:18 pm

Hiccup
Hmmm, this Raymond fellow seemed not only hard to get along with but also incredibly prideful. Of course, Hiccup didn't like to go looking for a fight and always tried to see it from the other person's shoes. Maybe Raymond was having difficulties that prompted this behavior in his life. No matter, Hiccup would just go along with his own thing and try to avoid him. Now back to the question. Did he feel a strong need or desire to help people? Raymond finished his speech and Hiccup decided to give his answer now. "I don't feel the overwhelming desire to help people who aren't my own, per say, but I do feel that desire with dragons. I can not stand to see a dragon suffer, in the same way that a mother can not stand to see a child suffer and in the same way that I can't stand to see my people suffer. I am their chief. Therefore, I protect them. They are our dragons. Therefore, I protect them." Hiccup sat back down and waited for someone else to answer now.
If you want to know what a man is truly like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. -Sirius Black
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:55 pm

Inigo was semi-intrigued, semi-dismayed. First he is in a room, filled with all kinds of peoples dressed in all kinds of garb, talking using words and gestures which are very strange to him. Then some gleaming bubble shows up and a woman who is all glittery steps from it. He drew back into the shadows. Yes, he was used to magic, the kind that brings a man back to life. But this seemed to be of a magic of a whole different sort.

When the table showed up, and she said many words, several of which made no sense to him at all, and ended up inviting everyone to sit at a table "Congregate over there, please.” he didn't know which to do. Go sit with everyone as invited or stay where he was. As usual, he decided to stay where he was.

He noticed that some people approached the table and sat and others hadn't yet done so. A young person [Hiccup] was sitting there, and someone who looked like a 'lady' [Lara] was addressing the young person. Another person, a man [Raymond], started talking. Yes, Inigo had noticed him earlier, as he had noticed the others. Inigo continued to look around the room, at the various people. As always, he checked how many fingers they had on their right hand.

After the young person talked, Inigo pondered the question the glittery woman had asked, because he wondered -- could it relate to himself? "Overwhelming need or wish to help others"? He shook his head. No, he had no overwhelming need or wish to help others. He had one goal in life and all else was subservient to that.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Cody Lewis
Cleansweep One

Post by Cody Lewis » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:00 pm

Han Solo took a seat next to the kid named [Hiccup], who was deep into a monologue about... dragons? Han decided to make himself comfortable, leaning back into his chair, crossing his arms, and kicking his boots up onto the table.

"They are our dragons," Hiccup had said. "Therefore, I protect them." Han decided this was his best chance to interject.

"Listen, kid," Han said. "I'm all about helping others, as long as there's something in it for me. And dragons don't tend to pay in credits." With a grin, he took a coin out of his pocket, flipped it through the air, and caught it.

Han added, "I don't know what kind of dragons you're dealing with, but I made a couple runs smuggling Krayt dragon pearls off of Tatooine, and those monsters don't need anyone's protection."
Iverian Gnash
No broom

Post by Iverian Gnash » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:05 am

Hiccup laughed when he heard Han talk. He found it incredibly funny how this guy sat and the way he acted all comfortable. This guy was all in it for the money, but at least he wouldn't be a problem in Hiccup's world so there was no danger in laughing or in what this guy said. However, Hiccup did protect the dragons and hearing Han talk like that about them made him a bit upset after he got over the funniness of the situation. "Well, if you get over the money of the situation, you will realize that there is a lot more to gain from it. You gain respect from your friends, family, and village. You also gain the respect of the dragons that you help. They will always be there to help you and get you out of tough situations. However, if you are in the habit of doing anything, whether for them or against them, just for the sake of that coin you continue to toss up and down in my face, the dragons will sense that and they will do anything but respect you," Hiccup finished his speech and waited to see what Han would say to that.
(Cody - don't take offense to this post. I just want to see some friendly argumentative discussions between characters :D)
Will Lestrange
Cleansweep One

Post by Will Lestrange » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:44 am

Hearing the others speak about helping others, Aladdin realized that no one yet had shared opinions that were close to his. Aladdin's thoughts were as follows: he needed to think about himself first and foremost; once he finally found himself on secure ground? Only then could he move towards trying to help others.

For now, though, he moved towards where Hiccup and Han were sitting; their discussion seemed interesting even if Aladdin didn't feel like now was the time to interject with his own opinions!
Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Post by Arianna Stonewater » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:24 am

Leslie Knope watched in fascination as the woman who arrived by bubble spoke and gathered everyone at the table with her binders. She thought they've really got a great special effects budget, and wondered if the Parks budget was big enough for them to travel by bubble. She grabbed another plate of waffles and headed towards the table.

"I'm all about helping people! It's why I ran for office to be on City Council! Right now a small but ambitious group is actually running a campaign to recall me, which I can't even believe after all I've done for them but really they're just upset because I wouldn't let the local burger chain serve gallon sized cups to our citizens....anyone, one of my steps in my 40 Phase defense is Phase 26: No Problem Too Small! My fantastic team and I have been listening to EVERY problem and helping our citizens out! I mean, some of the problems ARE really small, but that's what I'm there for! Now this isn't really any different than how things were before; i'm always willing to listen and help people out when I can! It's just now I publicly announce it so everyone knows they can come to me."
Cody Lewis
Cleansweep One

Post by Cody Lewis » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:42 am

"Kid's got a mouth on him," Han Solo chuckled. "I like that. Reminds me of... me." He flipped his coin to [Aladdin], then turned his gaze across the table to [Lara Croft].

"What about you, sweetheart? Could you respect a guy like me?"
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:09 am

Inigo had kept his eyes on the person who wondered what 'planet' he was on. Having excellent hearing, he was aware of most of what was said at the table. (Not that he believed what anyone said, just that he 'heard' it.)

But then the man [Han] said something to the woman who looked like a lady [Lara]. (She actually had some of the mien of his love, the Countess Giulietta.) Inigo straightened just a trifle bit, his hand slipping down a bit to more securely hold his sword.

A gentleman didn't say things like that to a woman. But the woman didn't look like a push-over either (again, like his Giulietta). He would be alert.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Aurelia West
Oakshaft 79

Post by Aurelia West » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:44 am

After the unexpected arrival of the woman waving a wand and her prompting of everyone towards the central hexagonal table, Mulan made her way over carefully. There seemed to be many folk all too eager to share their opinions, but just as many content to watch others reveal their characters before they deemed it necessary to speak. Two people had even already entered a heated conversation about their differing ideals [Han and Hiccup] that she took notice of, but decided not to linger too much on. She quietly continued to observe from across the table as more and more people began to share their opinions, not too sure if she wanted to contribute yet.
Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Post by Sirius Fudge » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:19 am

Will was a bit surprised by the woman, how she just appeared and entered the room. 'How did she do that?' He thought. He regretfully put back the book he had been reading to its place in the wall. After listening to the woman [Glinda], Will followed suit to the majority of the people sitting around the table. He hesitated to sit down, being careful not to be noticed by everyone, being careful to not be noticed that there's a pirate in the group.

After hearing the question set by the woman [Glinda], Will sat down, careful not to be the last one standing and attract attention. He grinned at the question. He thought that 'Being a pirate, it's hard to have that desire to save others. It's impossible, actually. Everyone's on their own. No one will help you but yourself. Lies, disguise, and deceit are everyday standards of the sea. You'll get thrown to the Kraken if you want to be a hero. Like Jack!'

Will shivered at his thought of Jack being a hero. He nearly laughed aloud, stopped by the presence of everyone around him. 'Nope, no desire whatsoever. Other people, no. My dad and Elizabeth, that would be an entirely different story.' Will arranged the way he sat, determined to stay with the others in this activity, wherever it is leading.

Post Graduate | Huffle Staff | HQT | HOL Class of 2018
Gail Allen
Moontrimmer

Post by Gail Allen » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:06 pm

When the woman [Glinda] entered, Robin's attention was suddenly caught and pulled from the woman [Kate Becket] he had just been talking to.

"Well, seems's we're called" he said to her [Kate Becket], when Glinda had said her piece. He walked with the others to the table, intending to first hear what others thought before giving his own opinion: It might tell him who he might be able to rely on later.
Raymond Holt did not seem like one of them, not because of his principles, but because Robin found any kind of law enforcement to be fundamentally untrustworthy. Even if that one person wasn't, then someone around them was likely to be and that could get him into quite some trouble.
For that he liked Han, but his comment to the lady [Lara]... was not very courteous.

"If you want my opinion" he whispered to her - glad that he sat close enough to be able to do so, "There's no need to respond to people speaking to you that way."

(OOC: I fear Robin is a bit judgemental on the scores of law enforcement and respecting ladies. Please do not take any of it personal.)
Thank you Cassie for the signature!
Vanessa Tilley
Oakshaft 79

Post by Vanessa Tilley » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Lara giggled softly after hearing the man [Robin] siting next to her comment on the man across the table [Han]. Lara leaned over and whispered, "Thank you kind sir. Sadly, I am used to his type."

Lara turned her head back to the man across the table [Hans]. "Well, to be honest, I would have to reserve my judgment about respecting someone like you until I got to know you a little better. I don't like making judgments on first impressions. If I did, your lack of manners by putting your feet on the table would already lead me to say no." Lara smiled and then turned her attention back to the man sitting beside her [Robin].

"I'm Lara, by the way. And you are?" Lara smiled and asked.
Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:28 pm

Raymond almost regretted speaking up, but at least it sparked a debate between other people. It was rather dull that everybody only milled around, but said nothing. Though, he supposed silence was preferable than some opinions around the group.

“He [Han] has a point Mr. Hiccup,” Raymond interjected. “I know mythology surrounding dragons and they certainly do not need protection. If they are living peacefully among humans,” he paused slightly, disbelieving to actually entertaining the possibility, “I doubt that the arrangement will last.”

“If you really want to help other people in your tribe, you have to entertain the possibility of them turning on you,” Raymond stilled, his eyes boring into the man. “Or would you rather fail them because you are too blind to even entertain this scenario?”
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:35 pm

Inigo smiled a little bit, listening to the byplay at the table around the woman [Lara]. Yes, she was much like his Giulietta. While it appeared she had other champions, too, it was obvious that whatever happened with the man [Han] would be something of her choice, or at least include her choices. Her words - "Thank you kind sir. Sadly, I am used to his type." - indicted a possible proclivity to 'his type'.

He relaxed his posture a trifle (and his hold on the hilt of his sword) and resumed listening to what was going on and scanning the room. Other bits of conversation caught his attention ... the woman at the table [Mulan], who hadn't said much yet, was rather interesting because she hadn't said much yet.
Gail Allen
Moontrimmer

Post by Gail Allen » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:46 pm

Robin Hood

"I am Robin" he introduced himself to the woman who had introduced herself as Lara - and who was clearly very capable of looking after herself: Good for her. And apart from his manners with women, Robin thought he might be able to come to agreements with Han. "It's a pleasure to meet you, though I must say these kinds of surroundings are rather unlike those I usually entertain company in. Do you like the forest?" he wanted to know. "I love the freedom of it. It's much more open than a room like this. In the forest you can go anywhere you choose to and do as you please." Which was often ambushing a rich caravan or someone else with far too much gold in their purse and then giving what they had in excess to the poor.
Thank you Cassie for the signature!
Cody Lewis
Cleansweep One

Post by Cody Lewis » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:36 pm

Han Solo went red in the face and his grin vanished, almost turning into a scowl.

"Well, excuse me, Your Highnesses," Han said bitterly. "Maybe we got off on the wrong... feet." He immediately removed his boots from the table and sat bolt upright. He sensed he had created a bit of tension in the room, and while he was no stranger to making enemies in all corners of the galaxy, he felt this was not the time or place to create new ones.

"My name is Han Solo," he said, introducing himself to the table and hoping for a fresh start. "Where I'm from, it's survival of the fittest. Life is a zero-sum game, so if you spend your time trying to help others, maybe you don't get to eat that day."

Return to “Character Clash”