How It Works

Sky Alton
Comet 140

How It Works

Post by Sky Alton » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:30 pm

The following is a detailed explanation of how the activity is going to happen. If you still have questions after perusing it, feel free to ask them below.

Timeline
Sign-ups: 24-29 September
Release of Character Allocations: 30 September
Week 1: 1-7 October
Week 2: 8-14 October
Week 3: 15-21 October
Final Week: 22-28 October

Sign-ups
Sign-ups will open on Monday 24th September at noon and end on Saturday 29th at 11.59 PM HOL-time. You will be asked to pick from an extensive list of characters from books, TV, film, comic books and video games and give us a list of between 3 and 5 characters you’d like in order of preference. We’ll be doing our absolute best to make sure you get a character you want. While it won’t be strictly ‘first come, first serve’, we will use time as a factor when deciding between multiple claims on the same character. So basically: choose wisely and get them in ASAP.

Characters
The character list is made up of characters without extraordinary powers or magic to ensure a relatively level playing field. If the character you choose uses technology (like Batman) or gains powers later on in their arc (like Donna from Doctor Who), you ARE NOT allowed to utilise either. You should be using your character’s physical skills, mental capabilities and personality only.

You can work on your characterisation through research or your own knowledge of the character. However, some of these tasks may require you to make up aspects of your character for yourself if they’re not known. We won’t be marking you down for not having a perfectly detailed understanding of the source material: just have fun and do your best to stay true to the spirit of your character and where they come from.

The Tasks
There will be 3 tasks a week. One will be creative and involve you depicting an aspect of your characters life or history. The next will be a roleplay task with everyone else: this is just meant to be fun and to give you a chance to interact ‘in-character’; don’t panic if you’re not a born roleplayer. The third will be a scenario that you will have to respond to in the way you think your character would. Each of these will be worth 10 HOL house points with a total of 120 house points available for completing everything.

In Week 4, the tasks remain the same but your scenario will be a competition between your character and another person’s character. You will both respond to it, detailing how you think your character would secure victory. The organisers (looking at the strategies themselves, the effort put in and people’s investment in their characters) will decide who wins. Should your opponent not turn in a solution (or should we get an odd number of sign-ups), we’ll judge you fairly against a randomised sample of other entries.

At no point will the quality of your writing be judged. However, we will be expecting you to keep your work to the standard you’d turn in for classes or other activities. No phoning it in.

The scenarios will be emailed into us, the RP posts will be posted publically and you will have a choice whether to post or email in your creative tasks.

The Character Score
The Character Score is how we’ll decide the overall winner of the Clash. You’ll begin on 0 and for each task you complete, you’ll receive a boost to your Character Score. If you do each task then your score will increase by a set amount each week and it will put you in very good stead for the final.

However, there is a chance to earn a score bonus each week through your scenario. We’ll give you a list of potential things to include in your response and ask you to pick some. These things will have a secret value known only to us which will add to your score: it’s a matter of luck how big a bonus you get.

In Week 4, you will be competing against your opponent for a final score bonus. Only the winners of the individual contests will receive one. The character with the highest score at the end of the activity will be victorious.

Points and Awards
Your character score has nothing to do with the house points you can earn. Everyone who completes all the tasks will be able to earn the full 120 points regardless of how they do with their score.

The overall winner will earn a unique award. Those who complete at least half the tasks will earn an award for participation.

Accessibility
If you have any accessibility issues that require adjustments (such as alternative tasks or extensions), please just chat to the organisers via the activity email (hol.characterclash @ gmail.com, without the spaces) and we’ll gladly work something out.

If you have any further questions about The Clash, feel free to post them below and we’ll get back to you ASAP.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)
Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Re: How It Works

Post by Bull J. Johnson » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:20 am

Can someone pick a character that is not on the list? A character without supernatural powers?
Sky Alton
Comet 140

Post by Sky Alton » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:52 am

Bull J. Johnson wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:20 am
Can someone pick a character that is not on the list? A character without supernatural powers?
To keep things fair, everyone needs to pick from the list provided. While I know there will always be characters missing that people wanted to see, we've tried our best to give you as wide a range as possible. :)
(Av/sig by Amy!)
Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Post by Bull J. Johnson » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:40 am

Ok no problem. Might make things a little harder for me, because it is hard for me to get into the mindset of any of these people, but I'll do my best. :)
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:18 am

We are having scenarios for our people and asking questions of them. I am looking at the Creative for Week 1 and realizing that the answers are different, depending on 'where' Inigo is in the story.

My wondering is this -- 'where' in the story do you want us to have our characters? At the beginning of their story arc, or in the middle or at the 'end' of the current stories.

For example, using a person not given to anyone to be, Gale from Hunger Games, he changed through the story. At the beginning he wanted to leave the District. Later on, it was Katniss who wanted to leave and he said, no, he would stay. So how he acts, in different scenarios posed by you, would be different.

Second -- if we may choose a place for our person from the middle of the story, before certain decisive events, do you choose that we remain in that same time frame and 'how they are' throughout this activity?

Thank you. :)
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Sky Alton
Comet 140

Post by Sky Alton » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:56 am

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:18 am
We are having scenarios for our people and asking questions of them. I am looking at the Creative for Week 1 and realizing that the answers are different, depending on 'where' Inigo is in the story.

My wondering is this -- 'where' in the story do you want us to have our characters? At the beginning of their story arc, or in the middle or at the 'end' of the current stories.

For example, using a person not given to anyone to be, Gale from Hunger Games, he changed through the story. At the beginning he wanted to leave the District. Later on, it was Katniss who wanted to leave and he said, no, he would stay. So how he acts, in different scenarios posed by you, would be different.

Second -- if we may choose a place for our person from the middle of the story, before certain decisive events, do you choose that we remain in that same time frame and 'how they are' throughout this activity?

You can pick whichever stage of their journey you like. It would probably be easier if you kept it consistent across the activity but I won't be following anyone around with a checklist. :)
(Av/sig by Amy!)
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:26 pm

I've another question -- in our writing, when we talk about our character, and/or use quotes, that all needs to be canon, yes?

ie - I'm writing about Inigo, and make reference to someone of his past. This needs to be something that I can point to, in the book and/or movie? Or another example -- if I quote something, or someone, that needs to be able to be found in source material if it is given as a direct quote?
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Sky Alton
Comet 140

Post by Sky Alton » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:38 pm

Where possible, yes. But if there's something that you want to create for yourself (providing it doesn't contradict canon), then you can embroider your character's past with missing detail.
(Av/sig by Amy!)
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:51 pm

Sky Alton wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:38 pm
Where possible, yes. But if there's something that you want to create for yourself (providing it doesn't contradict canon), then you can embroider your character's past with missing detail.
Thank you for your prompt reply!

Awesome. There is a lot of detail in his 'missing years' which is skimmed over. I'll be very careful to keep quotes to things I can point to (ie no "someone said this" without being able to point to the page in the book or time in the movie) as true quotes -- but that gives me some leeway to filling in gaps. :)

Return to “Character Clash”